PDA

View Full Version : PPL Theory Self Study

dingdongbubble
25th Feb 2008, 13:48
Hello

I want to start some basic PPL theory studies. I want to study on my own at my own pace. Would you please suggest a basic book to start reading to get some theory knowledge of the PPL. I have no flight hours.

Thank you

gmac1977
25th Feb 2008, 13:50
check out Cranfield aviation training school (CATS)

They do an online PPL study series:)

Whirlygig
25th Feb 2008, 13:57
Pretty much everyone studies on their own for PPL; try the Trevor Thom series of books or those by Jeremy Pratt.

Cheers

Whirls

187nj
25th Feb 2008, 14:17
Hey.

I'm doing PPL theory self study at the moment.

I recently took my pilot performance exam after 2 weeks practicing the questions in the 'PPL Confuser'

I scored 95% with only 1 question wrong.

I recommend you get the 'PPL Confuser' priced at £35 (a little steep) but well worth it if your serious about getting your licence.

Good luck sir.

chris-squire
25th Feb 2008, 15:06
Hi,

Im studying PPL theory at the mo prior to flying to Canada in 3 weeks time. Sat HPL (100%) and Air Law / Op's (87.5%) last Tuesday. Now started on Flight Performance & Planning and Communications.

The PPL confuser is fantastic and has helped me alot. Air Quiz is also good as is the OAT CD-Rom. However, the PPL confuser may slightly differ from the questions that you get set. I did my above exams at Cabair (Bmth) and they gave me paper's from 2005. Some of the Q's looked familiar but many were slightly different, particuarly in Air Law.

Moral of the story....PPL Confuser is great but don't rely on learning the Q's parrot fashion as you may get caught out. I'm trying to do 2 at a time to make sure I get them done in time but everyone studies at their own pace so make sure you're happy witht eh subject before going to sit the exam, waste of £45 if you're not ans it's another £23 per re-sit (I think).

Good luck fella!

CS :ok:

vabsie
25th Feb 2008, 16:16
Hi guys ..

Sorry to chip into your conversation but also had a question :)

I'm considering doing my PPL at Orlando Flight Training or OBA later this year but would also like to start with my theory studies/exams.

Some of these packages/deals that the traning centers offer include the 7 exams ... does it mean that I could possibly write my exams in the UK (london) before I fly over and that I won't have to do them as a result when I'm in the US?

I'm asking as I've heard that the 21 (or more depending on weather) days of training can be quite intensive, and thinking it might ease the load slightly having done the exams by the time I'm in the US?
Cheers

S

HappyFran
26th Feb 2008, 08:30
It's a very good idea to get the PPL theory out of the way before going to USA. Just need to get the books/ confuser / past papers and study in rainy old UK, then you will have lots more time to get practical in the sun :):).
You will have to find a local FTO that is willing to let you sit the theory exams. Many might be reluctant / indifferent as it is not a terribly profitable activity for them. :uhoh:. If you are going Commercial maybe able to persuade with promise of future training.
good Luck
Fran
:):)

vabsie
26th Feb 2008, 09:02
Thanks Fran

It sounds like a good idea to get the theory out of the way then .. and you never know (although I doubt) might get a discount on the package price if I tell them that I don't need to sit the 7 exams!

thanks again.

S