PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old?

Cageflyer
25th Feb 2008, 11:10
Hi all

Just a quick question for those who have started commercial pilot training in their mid-30's? I'm 33 years old and finally in a position to consider doing an ab-initio course for the frozen ATPL/IR. Is there anyone who has started their flight training at this age and secured employment? If possible, I would sincerely appreciate any feedback regarding the attitudes of FTO's and airlines of individuals in this category applying for a commercial role?

Much appreciated in advance.

Wayne

MungoP
25th Feb 2008, 11:45
I started at roughly your age after a long career with yachts.. Much of your advancement will depend on the state of the employment market at the time you qualify.... I was both lucky and unlucky in that during my training years their was a desperate need for pilots (anyone able to fly a kite got a seat).. I secured a job in the right seat of a turbo-prop just as the recession hit... 7 yrs stuck on the same turbo-prop... (but at least I kept flying..many didn't and never flew again)... by the time the recession was finally over it was too late for me to apply for a decent jet-job...
As Malc4d says.. a large wallet could help.. if you're able to get a 73 rating and find someone looking for qualified but non-experienced crew you could end up leap-frogging ... or adjust to flying whatever is available. A lot might depend on how flexible you can be regarding where and what you fly.

Mercenary Pilot
25th Feb 2008, 12:10
Your too old when....

You ignore the READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION thread at the top of the forum. ;)

Wodka
25th Feb 2008, 13:21
65yrs and 1 day :p

Artie Fufkin
26th Feb 2008, 00:35
When I was going through training the age of 35 was mentioned as "too late". Some nonsense to do with physiological slowing of the brain at that age interfering with demands of initial line training.

Many have proved this figure wrong, but arguably it is the age, these days, when employment chances become more difficult (though very definately not impossible).

whyaren'tuflyingboy
28th Feb 2008, 18:00
Size of your wallet and your willingness to work hard and to be shafted are the main issues. I started around your age and a few years on I'm airline employed. Don't rule out instructing as an option to get your hours up but it is generally appalling pay.

Above all, you have to love flying first and foremost, and if you do, then you will make it.

Good Luck.