PDA

View Full Version : Flying Off Shore

chileno 777
25th Feb 2008, 10:16
For the guys flying off shore (oil/gas rigs) would like to ask them if it is boring flying in that kind of bussiness as some people says?

DeltaNg
25th Feb 2008, 10:46
Yes. It's really boring.

chileno 777
25th Feb 2008, 11:15
Yes. It's really boring

Why? Could you pls elaborate...

Brilliant Stuff
25th Feb 2008, 11:19
The Blackpool operations ain't that boring since you can do something 10 landings an hour or 24 in 6 hours.

Humberside you get longer legs so it may be half that.

Aberdeen it takes a minimum of 45 minutes before you reach any rigs but you must ask the puma guys that.

It also depends very much on who you are crewed with.

But if you only do it for 3 -5 years you should be able to cope.Also the money makes up for a lot of it.

Seymour Belvoir
25th Feb 2008, 12:27
Will employers recruit pilots to work out of Humberside or Blackpool directly, or is it more usual for crews to move to those locations from Aberdeen?

Are the rates of pay the same for each location or does it vary between the north and south?

What sort of shift patterns do pilots work at Humberside and is there a limit on how far you can live from the airfield?

...and most importantly...are they recruiting?

S76driver
25th Feb 2008, 13:15
When I joined I was asked which base I preferred to operate from and asked for a second choice, now I think they only need people for Aberdeen, but I may be wrong.

The work patterns are different North and South and I think they differ at each base. I know theres two different ones at Denes. Not sure on pay scales.

They prefer you to reside within 45 mins of base.

Check out www.chc.ca (http://www.chc.ca) for job listings.

I don't find it boring, but some people do, I guess you either love it or hate it.

tottigol
25th Feb 2008, 15:07
TalktheTQ if I may, what is the current first Officer entry pay for CHC (if you work there), in Europe?

Seymour Belvoir
25th Feb 2008, 16:31
TTT

very useful, TVM.

SB

rotorfossil
25th Feb 2008, 17:31
Some people highly qualified in other fields have become North Sea pilots on the assumption that the job is going to be exciting and varied. Generally it isn't, apart from some panicky moments, and after a few years they became disenchanted.You have to accept that you are really a highly paid bus driver; take the money and the time off and do something interesting in your spare time rather than sitting in front of the box.

tottigol
25th Feb 2008, 17:34
TTT thanks, are those figures before or after taxes?
All pay in the USA is usually referred to before taxes.

Bravo73
25th Feb 2008, 17:59
TTT thanks, are those figures before or after taxes?

Very definitely 'before' tax.

Tax (and national insurance etc) in the UK will be 40-50% on those amounts.

2papabravo
25th Feb 2008, 18:04
You have to be relative about this boredom!

I am about to enter the industry having come from an office job. You try sitting infront of a desk, day in, day out, same stuff, same office politics, same chat around the water cooler everyday. Do that and then say that this job is boring...I don't think you'll be able too.

And as another person mentioned, you have more than enough spare time to undertake other projects!

2pb

T4 Risen
25th Feb 2008, 18:07
Central North Sea.....Interesting...yes for the first couple of years
Down side... weather usually Cr*p, same routes, lack of variety after a while
Upside...Equal time, get home every night, Good pay.

The flying can be a bit sporting in the wintertime and you have the odd "fun" day. But on the whole it is not really any worse than straping your self to a plank and doing european routes with one of the cheapy airlines...except that you get home almost every night, work half the time and get paid about the same.......

they do get Hosties though!!!

T4

Barotrauma
25th Feb 2008, 18:20
Bristow starting pay for FO's is £42000 - irrespective of hours

bennyjoha
25th Feb 2008, 19:08
Do everyone applying for an offshore job in the UK North Sea need to go through all the crazy psycho test no matter the amount of hours and previous offshore experience?

atcomarkingtime
25th Feb 2008, 20:04
I was told that all they do is eat ice cream and drink coffee...don't know how true that is though.............:)

helimutt
25th Feb 2008, 20:06
no bennyjoha, they don't. Seems only CHC do this. Hop onboard. You too can be a glorified bus driver! :p:ok:

dcfc
25th Feb 2008, 20:35
I worked in an office for over a decade before making the change and have to say the grass is never greener on the otherside!!.....same s"@t different office, less change in my pocket!!:ugh:

bennyjoha
25th Feb 2008, 21:43
I thought CHC do all the offshore in the UK North Sea?

Rotorhead77
25th Feb 2008, 23:27
It beats working for a living!

Impress to inflate
26th Feb 2008, 04:04
Over ten years of flying offshore all over Europe and I've never had a boring flight. If you want a boring flight, sit on the flight deck on a modern airliner and do long haul. You can eat and drink to your hearts content or have a good chat with the bird or bloke next to you, play i spy or insult management and put the world to rights. I would not change my job for all the oil in the ground.

spinwing
26th Feb 2008, 08:45
Well ......

You will need instrument & night experience ....preferably the rating so your employer will know what your capable of (or not?) .... and be disciplined ie a reasonably controlled attitude .... offshore operators tend NOT to appreciate "Hotdoggers".

Good luck .... you'll probably need it :E

OffshoreHeli
26th Feb 2008, 09:12
Limited when playing, "I SPY" to break the boredom.

chileno 777
26th Feb 2008, 11:34
Really appreciated the replies and comments posted.
Thank you guys. :ok:

DeltaNg
26th Feb 2008, 12:53
Sorry my previous post was short.

Offshore flying is a bit like a horse. Boring in the middle,but interesting at both ends :}

Farmer 1
26th Feb 2008, 13:39
No, a horse is dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle.

Whatever you say about offshore flying, it's never comfortable in the middle.

atcomarkingtime
26th Feb 2008, 17:44
Awwwww....I almost feel sorry for you drivers over the North Sea now....I did say Almost though....you have a better view in front of you than I do...I just get to see a big radar screen with all your blips on....you get the blue sky...the glorious sea....your wonderful destination...thoughts of coffee and doughnuts!!!:)

Brilliant Stuff
26th Feb 2008, 19:29
Blackpool has got an excellent Night-shift.:ok::ok:

Flying offshore allows you to have a lot of family life. Good for bringing up children or running a second business.

rumline
26th Feb 2008, 20:47
Been on again and off again in the offshore world. Mostly along the Dark Continent and some in SE Asia.
Aside from the weather giving you a left hook or dropping onto smaller vessels, it's pretty mind numbing stuff compared to pulling drills on a 150' longline....or splashing fires...or police or EMS work.
But it's a livin'..... and as someone else mentioned, it beats workin'!:ok:

Lt. Kije
27th Feb 2008, 14:59
Boring? If I can handle the boredom of Des Moines to Omaha in the dark with no NVG's with a patient lying where my other front seat should be then I bet I can handle an hour to the next rig in daylight.

Trouble is, how do I convince one of the right outfits that I can? I got turned down the other day because, and I quote, "we are looking for people who have experienced the boredom of offshore flying."

Crikey. I've got 3,600 hours, 3,500 as PIC, an instrument rating, time flying BK's and 105's...and CHC has yet to answer even one of my online applications. :ugh:

Admittedly, I'm trying for touring positions, as the wife has a job that she really doesn't want to leave, we can't take the cats to the UK, and I'd like a few weeks at a time off. I almost don't care where it is...are there touring jobs (6/6, 8/4...whatever) in the North Sea?

smickey
27th Feb 2008, 16:10
Lt Kije

What about trying Abu Dhabi Aviation (ADA) or Gulf Helicopters in Qatar. They both offer 8/4 and 6/6.....good alternative to CHC and it sounds like your experience would be enough to get you in the door.

Lt. Kije
27th Feb 2008, 17:05
Hi smickey,

I've gotten a very polite reply from Gulf Helicopters. They want a lot of stuff and I'll be assembling every bit of it and sending it in a nice package as soon as I'm off duty.

Abu Dhabi? I'd like to, but they say they want an ATP and a Class 1. I don't know if that's a deal-breaker or a "wish list." I do have much more time than they say they want, so I'll be seeing if they can flex a little.

Thanks!

smickey
27th Feb 2008, 19:31
Lt Kije,

You will need an ATPL and Class 1 for all Captain offshore jobs....it's not a wish list. You have the hours for ATPL and exam is a breeze if you have a 'study package'...couple days of study. ADA is a better option than Gulf as far as pay goes. However, accomodations are better at Gulf.

cheers

Lt. Kije
27th Feb 2008, 20:08
Thanks. I'll look into getting that ATP. While I do fine on company checkrides, which are under the hood, I haven't logged enough IFR time for the ATP eligibility. I'll have to see how I can get it.