PDA

View Full Version : RMIT Dip of Airline Transport

Jezza88
25th Feb 2008, 04:56
HI,

Has anyone or knows someone who has gone through the Dip of Airline Transport training the is offered by RMIT in melb? If so, are you able to explain to how the training is conducted and would you recommended it.

Another thing is can anyone recommend any flying schools in Melbourne? Im planning on becoming a commmercial pilot however have not started any training yet.

Thanks alot for your time.

sydpilot
26th Feb 2008, 01:36
To anyone want to do flight training:
RMIT flight training is hopeless even I finished and in Sydney I still heard that feb 2007 class only 2 people finished out of 24 and mid year 2007 guys has no class everyday they don’t really care about student all.

Jezza88
27th Feb 2008, 02:06
Yer thought so your not the only person that has said that to me. I just wanted to double check if RMIT did not have a good erp regarding that specific course.

Beside a cadetship, which flygin school would you recommened in melbourne?

Thanks!

whyaren'tuflyingboy
28th Feb 2008, 17:42
Hi, can't comment on the RMIT diploma as I didn't enrol for that, however I started their flight training at Point Cook and left very quickly as it was a disgrace. It is merely GFS paying for the RMIT name. Keep well away from them. They want your money and will fly you in any conditions. I moved to a small country school and never looked back. I don't know any schools I can suggest in town however I am sure you will get other respondents who can.
Good Luck!

James78Au
31st Oct 2011, 17:27
HI All

I have recently just got my PPL and looking to do my Commercial at RMIT Point Cook next year.

Does anyone have any recent views and opions about them?

Thanks

Seabreeze
6th Nov 2011, 00:56
RMIT has no aeroplanes, doesn't have an AOC, and doesn't deliver any flying training.

If you just want to do some CPL flying training simply canvass the local flying schools at EN or MB! That is where you will end up flying anyway.

The RMIT diploma is simply a way charging more; i.e. of filtering funds to a flying school and keeping some for " administration"

dlx_xlb
14th Nov 2011, 14:00
After having done my initial training at RMIT flight Training.

My advice. STAY WELL THE **** AWAY..

Unless your have lots of money to burn.!!

I would highly recommend Melbourne Flight Training at Moorabbin airport where I finished. And If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be working in the Industry.

Anyway back to why you shouldn't choose RMIT.

RMIT as i've discussed with other past students, is that they are purely a business.. NOT really flying school.. They just want your money and they have a few sneaky ways in taking it.

When most people who start flying (especially if your dad or mum aren't pilots) most are pretty naive, and don't really know what the industry is really like.

Ways RMIT take your money:

Charging random $1500 admin fees. Apprently its for the paper you use and using the photo copier.. but seriously $1500 just for bits of paper?
You will get charged the admin fee about 3-4 times. so thats $6000 worth of paper during the time your there? WTF
Failing you in flight tests for flights other than perfect... Failing a test = re-test = a quick easy $600 flight test fee.
Reasons why you might fail a test that a stupid and happened to students in the past. Not realigning compass to the DG, Logging your time on your map instead of your flight plan.
In addition to needing flight tests Perfect.. Your solo checks also need to be pretty perfect to pass aswell.. Failing = more flying = money
Charging you for the full set of classes even though you are falling behind nor having even sat them
19 year old instructors who know nothing that they pay peanuts.
Charging dual rate for a flight test.. All other places I have flown on a test was just Solo rate for aircraft + flight test fee.. Not Dual rate + flight test.
now'a'days they charge an arm and a leg for a C172.. reason being because their new with G1000... Bollocks..
Whenever their prices go up due to fuel, the price of the sim goes up aswell, even though it doesn't burn any avgas.
They won't give you the required paperwork to go train elsewhere if you owe them money
They give priority to their overseas airline contracts, as they pay them more, and this means you may be waiting up to a month or even more for a flight. this also means your skills aren't current, you don't fly as good which leads to remedial flight = money!!!!
Oh yeah when you do a flight test and fail, they make you do ridiculous amount of remedial training... E.g Failing a PPL.. 2 solo Navs and another Dual nav.. 3 long flights = money!!!
Also you can't sit the CPL test unless you have completed their whole syllabus, things that aren't even required by law, Tailwheel endo and Aerobatics, although good to have, its not required.
Their ops manual states you cannot attempt your GFPT unless you have 10 hours command which is double the legal requirement, they say its so they have a higher standard.. But its just money..
They make you purchase a full set of maps and flying equipment that you probably don't even need yet when you start.
List goes on... PM me if you have any questions, I'm quite happy to put these scammers out of business.

High Houred Low Qualification pilots are also quite common at RMIT.. Often you will find 80 Hour pilots who don't even have GFPTs? Money???

So if your a rich sugardaddy then go for it..

Otherwise go elsewhere!

PS. RMIT also don't really give a rats arse about your progress, the company just want your money and the instructors just want hours.. (All of them pretty much just want to build time for the airlines)

Don't fall into the hype of 'RMIT' its just a name.. Its all it is.. Who cares if its affiliated with a university? What matters is the end result. That CPL MECIR and FIR

Now after I have bitched about RMIT, I feel as if I owe Melbourne Flight Training something.. So Here I will do the opposite of 'bitching' lol

After having been unhappy with RMIT for a long period of time I finally made the switch to another flying school. (Only continued to go there because I lived 10 mins down the road)

Anyway, I'd describe MFT as more of a flying school, their instructors are predominately highly experienced grade1's... Most of those grade ones actually want to be flight instructors in GA... BONUS!!!! Average experience level between all instructors I would guess 3500-4000 hours.. (RMIT <800) Most of their instructors there also have a lot of flying experience outside of instructing, Charter RPT, etc..

At MFT you and your progress will be taken care of, and you will make a lot of new pilot friends, some of which may even help you when it comes to getting your first job, as the place has a very social atmosphere especially with their Friday Night BBQ and beers.

MFT will not only help you get that licence, But when you finish, They will even hook you up with a job.. Glen the CFI is very well connected in the industry and always has friends and past students looking for pilots..!!.. He also pretty much takes on all instructor trainees who train there, to give them a foot in the door, (Like what happened to me) :o)

James78Au
14th Nov 2011, 17:43
Thank You DLX

Suckedinbyrmit
29th Nov 2011, 04:53
There are people just bounced out of this "Flight School" that wish they had seen this before.

They are scum. They have just used an entire intake of students to pay for a new fleet of aircraft and then told most of them they will never be pilots, forcing them out.

A good charge was $750 for a half day first aid course. Everyone who already had a valid first aid certificate already was told it is worthless for Aviation. It was a bog standard level 2 first aid course, that anywhere else would cost max $100.

At least one student who was already at PPL level when he started and was the best in the class was forced out and told he would never be a pilot. He is now that distraught and stressed by it all that he will now no longer be a pilot and has gone into a different field altogether.

Now while i understand that its never been an easy profession to get into (And it shouldnt) not everyone that goes into this has money to burn and are trying to follow a dream. Some people fight hard and do what they can only to have the goals shifted on them constantly and then eventually have the rug snatched out from underneath them entirely.

bedix84
29th Nov 2011, 09:52
I noticed that still a lot of people looking for flight schools...well..it seems to me that you are looking to jump always in a big sh:mad: endless!! Look like you wanna someone steal your money!!
Guys why you want to use the pprune search and just look old topics about flight schools...there are many in USA and even JAR approved !!
Why to go to fly in Australia?..You are looking for vacation or flight course:hmm::hmm:???
That's my consideration.