PDA

View Full Version : JAA-FAA Legislation

atccfi
24th Feb 2008, 15:00
Not sure if this is the right forum, but oh well....
Anyone know if there is anything in the works or any plans to relax the conversion from faa to jaa licenses? Seeing as how a jaa license can easily be converted to a faa license why is it still so difficult to convert from faa to jaa? we fly in each others' airspace on a regular basis, have all sorts of agreements, yet, to go from jaa to faa is an overly complicated proccess. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Thx.

virginpilot1087
24th Feb 2008, 20:08
dont talk garbage!

I did my aptl's in London and the cpl in greece and the IR in spain,, there was no talking between people, just sent in the paperwork and got the license!

did you just sit and think that up?

diverine
24th Feb 2008, 20:17
Yup,

I finished my 14 exams in Greece and did the check ride in Turkey.... No problems, got my JAA license right after my check ride. Good luck!

BillieBob
24th Feb 2008, 20:31
I know it from a guy who did the ground in the UK but had to fight the swedish CAA about the flying part.That's nothing to do with the JAA, just the intransigence of the Swedes.

To get back to the original question, there is nothing in the works between the JAA and the FAA, nor will there ever be. The JAA is, to all intents, finished and now comprises about a half dozen people in a back office in Cologne. EASA will assume responsibility shortly for licensing in Europe and so it's the relationship between the EU and the US that will determine how easy it will be in the future to convert licences between the two states. The bad news is that, in the world of aviation, relations between the EU Commission and the US Congress could hardly be worse, with both sides acting like spoiled children, and the chances of any agreement on reciprocal licensing is way in the future.

BigGrecian
25th Feb 2008, 02:39
In practise the licences are just set up differently - especially if you have just gained your licences...

To summarise widely...the JAA licence brings the pilot to a higher standard at an earlier stage in their career. The FAA licence brings the pilot up to an equal standard at airline level.

Having taken the said statement, that's why it's easier to convert JAA>FAA than FAA to JAA.

Having instructed under both systems, I've seen many pilots struggle converting FAA > JAA, but very rarely seen a struggle JAA > FAA.

BigGrecian
26th Feb 2008, 02:52
Purely from a statistical point of view, across FAA > JAA the pass rate is no higher and in many cases lower than the full course - as though the FAA > JAA route - I can't even recall a fail on the flying section...

Nearly every FAA > JAA Conversion I have seen has struggled, and a large majority have taken nearly the full course hours of 25, some over!

I have on the other hand never seen a JAA > FAA Commercial go over the 3 hours.

Having said that, I see where you are based, and having dealt with JAA students from said area....I understand why you would get that idea...... :hmm: