PDA

View Full Version : Accomodation needed at Port Alfred

Dreamairliner_340
24th Feb 2008, 05:14
Hi everybody,

I am a Mauritian, and unfortunately could not get through the cadet scheme in my country to make my dream come true. Last time I almost made it; reached interview stage but was then dropped. Anyways, this is the past, and I could not take it that my dream would be shattered. I do not have the big bucks, nor am from an economically rich family that I could ask my parents to fork out the money.

Well now I, after having worked myself to the blood, making huuuge sacrifices, i have been able to manage enough to pay for my courses, and have chosen 43 Airschool, although the most expensive option, have heard its the best in SA, and I do not want to spend all that hard earned money just to hit a wall and not be able to land a job due to me choosing the easiest path for my CPL.

Well, the intention of my post is to get contacts for accomodation at Port Alfred. I cannot afford the price of accomodation at 43, so am looking for anybody who has contacts or who is living currently at Port Alfred and who can:

1) Advise me of the general price i can expect to pay for accomodtion for a 1 bedroom place there.
2) Tell me if anybody out there willing to share an apartment in port Alfred so that we can split the costs(am ready to share)
3) Any links/telephone numbers of contacts where i can expect to find something.

I intend to start my courses Sep, so have to find something by then.

Thanks for anybody who can assist.:ok:

Dreamairliner_340
24th Feb 2008, 17:31
Thanks for the insight, however the decising factor that made me opt for 43 is fact that so many airine cadets are sent there even from Europe.It could be that they are not the best in South Africa, however for me i feel its the best. I have already made up my mind now, and some posts say that 43 is the best, so..... my decision is made.

Wish to thank you anyway for opinion anyway, its always good to know what people experienced, helps make you more cautious.

I have already booked my seat, so will still need details 1-3 above, really need to make it work for me.

Tx

mkenya
24th Feb 2008, 18:39
Hope you've also budgeted like 50 thousand extra coz what flight schools quote is not normally what you get. And having lived in port alfred before you also need to buy a car. 43rd is in the bush not so far from town.

Well. Been there, not the best. Not the worst but not exceptional. In any case I've not heard of the Ivy league of flying schools. Or of any airline which has run to 43rd and scooped students to join them.
Happy landings when they start

Twinbo
25th Feb 2008, 08:38
Phone 43 and ask if they have any recommended accomodation off base. It will work you out a lot cheeper!

You'll enjoy your time at port alfred...or will that be bisho??

Good luck anyway

Dreamairliner_340
25th Feb 2008, 18:14
I want to know what would be the extra 50k for? I cannot make it out. It cannot be extra flying since they are pro-rated with teh charges mentioned. Could be due to petrol price fluctuations but not 50K, maybe 20K-ish.:confused:

Anyways, might have to look for a part time job in Port Alfred to be ab;e to meet all the expenses.

I called 43, and was given the tourism contact, and ther charge rates per day at 150 rand per day:=, so still does not work out. My budget for accomodation is in the region of 2000-2500 rand, for a 1 bedroom place. If I find a fellow student willing to share at 43, then maybe I will go for something bigger and we'll share the costs coming to the region i've budgeted.

I cannot afford a car, would not have fund for that, will rely on transport the school provides and maybe will invest in a scooter.:\

I am running on a very tight budget, this is why i cannot think of extras.

So, anybody out there, let me know if you can provide any helpull info.

Cheers.:ok:

reptile
25th Feb 2008, 19:00
Or of any airline which has run to 43rd and scooped students to join them
Because none of the SA airlines are "scooping" fresh cpl's into the the right seat (from any school). There is no shortage of pilots.....only of experienced pilots.....

43 has a good reputation in the industry - 'nuff said.

mkenya
26th Feb 2008, 06:17
thanks for emphasising my point. But still I stand by my assertion that 43rd is not an exceptional school in the country. There just as good schools which will turn a cheaper option for the aspiring pilot above.
All they have is a great marketing team that travels all over the world trying to convince airlines to send their cadets there.
Also was trying to lay bare the fact that schools usually quote the basic minima required to qualify, which rarely happens. And thats not just 43rd alone but almost all schools. I'd rather you don't get stuck towards the end of your flight training.
If you've been to port alfred the distance from school to the town aint that close, and considering you'll be driving by a township, which are not reputable for safety, at 5.30 to be in time for your six o'clock flight then maybe you won't love a bike. But again, they give you some very nice flying suits.
I'll try my contacts in port alfred if they can get you something.

chileno 777
26th Feb 2008, 11:22
Dreamairliner 340,

If you are on a tight budget why don’t you try other schools? 43 is a good academy, but it is not the only one. There are more good flight schools in S.A cheaper than 43. Suggest you to have a look to PE.

mkenya
26th Feb 2008, 12:51
Though considering the weather in P.E.. I wont at all recommend P.E for training, maybe somewhere inland or in Gauteng province,
But then I hear 43 could be establishing themselves inland...which is good save for the costs
Talk to a few people if you know any, who trained is South africa, and get their views

Dreamairliner_340
26th Feb 2008, 17:42
Thanks everybody for your views.

It took me 2 years to choose a school, and i have to say everytime 43 sticks out of the rest. I have looked at quoted from other schools, they are around 50k less.

I'm tight on budget, but am sure I will have a way to sort things out. In other forums, only 43 is mentioned by european students and other nationalities. I intend to fly in Africa and am not limiting myself to South Africa, this is why I am going to 43.

They are known everywhere, and this kind of will put me in a favourable position as compared to the numerous cpl holders with around 200 to 250hrs. I prefer investing now into my formation and get the benefits later. This being said i do not doubt a second that there are other equally excellent schools in South Africa, cheaper for sure and just as able to provide world class formation. 43 have established a name through their marketing, and i would like to benefit from this, fair enough there is a premium to pay.

All I'm hoping for now is to get some useful contacts so that i can save on accomodation. A room should not be more thab 2000 rand to rent, and this would be terrific saving to me.

Just want to dig in the travel issue as well. Everybody advising a car, maybe will have to look into that. I checked on google earth, and 43 seems around 3-4 km from Port Alfred. This should not be so far.Well this is something I guess I will have to see once in place.

Cheers everybody;)

Habari
27th Feb 2008, 05:40
I live in PA and would advise you to contact local estate agents who lease property for owners. PA is a holiday resort and many properties stand empty most of the year.
Some agents are already leasing to students from 43rd and could possibly put you in touch with tenants to share with.
You could also join a lift club with other students as it is not safe to walk or cycle past the township on your way to the airport.
Many well priced eating and drinking places in PA!!!!!