PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 530

IntheTin
23rd Feb 2008, 22:30
Hi all.

Just had my 530 upgraded from a TIS system to TCAD (cheaper version of TCAS but not really cheap), and I went through the Garmin books to see how to use it.
I have managed to get a thumbnail screen on the map page but I was wanting to have an overlay on the map page. When it had TIS it was overlayed.
Anybody have any experience with it?

Cheers in advance.

ITT

OEI and Still Flying
23rd Feb 2008, 23:03
The overlay appears in Nav section page 2 & 3
When you switch on the unit it defaults to Nav 1 page so just turn the inner knob for page 2/3
Hit the menu button on Nav 2 and it should give you options there.

Hope that helps

IntheTin
23rd Feb 2008, 23:27
Thanks for that.

I thought I had tried it already but I'll go check it again.

Brilliant Stuff
24th Feb 2008, 11:02
How does this type of TCAS work?

Our separate TCAS unit is being very temperamental. So I am curious how the Garmin works.

IntheTin
24th Feb 2008, 12:45
As far as I know its pretty much the same as TCAS but its the GPS must be on the traffic page or have a thumbnail view enabled on the map page. I will try to get the overlay on the map page next time I fly.

Its new to me so I haven't seen all the bells and whistles but the voice alert is the same as TCAS. Still has similar symbols as TCAS also.

There is a new antenna on the top of the cabin and a double antenna underneath, plus a processor under the seats.

2001ft
2nd Mar 2009, 10:30
I know this doesn't look like a rotor question, however I am going to have these units installed in a Bell 206B3

Has anybody linked these units together and received traffic information in the UK?

Endless debates with engineers about whether it will give traffic info in the UK or whether traffic is US only?

Any help very much appreciated!

EN48
2nd Mar 2009, 12:02
Endless debates with engineers about whether it will give traffic info in the UK or whether traffic is US only?

Cant resolve this issue for you as this depends on the capabilities of the approach radar system on the ground. I can tell you that I use the TIS capability of the Garmin 330 in the U.S. and find it quite satisfactory. You do lose traffic information as you get some distance from the radar site, but the system alerts you to this. Where I fly, the high traffic areas are well covered by radar. And, as with most TIS/TCAS/TAS systems, it displays only traffic with an operating transponder - most but definitely not all so keep your eyes open!

OEI and Still Flying
2nd Mar 2009, 16:14
Hi 2001ft

You need a TIS radar for the traffic.
Dont know of any around Europe !!!!!!
You'll be waiting.

Garmin: TIS (http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/tis/index.html)

GeorgeMandes
3rd Mar 2009, 05:26
For those flying a 430/530 W box up north, Garmin has released a software update to solve the problem of the /W boxes losing signal, and going to dead reckoning, north of latitude 60.

hugeb
3rd Mar 2009, 15:29
Not sure if this is of any help, but I fly a PA34 in UK with Garmin 530/430 mix plus a GTX 330. Standard TCAS icons and conficts appear on both the 530 and 430 with usual voice callouts.

2001ft
3rd Mar 2009, 16:03
huge thanks hugeb! this is what I was looking for!

when you say standard TCAS icons - this is for all Mode C and Mode S traffic?

EN48
3rd Mar 2009, 16:10
Standard TCAS icons and conficts appear on both the 530 and 430

Sounds promising but your post was not clear as to whether or not you have a dedicated traffic sensor (Avidyne/Ryan, Honeywell, etc) or are getting TIS traffic info from the ground radar via the Garmin 330 (which is implied by your post). Please clarify.

hugeb
3rd Mar 2009, 20:36
Sorry I had nothing to do with the original specification and installation. I think it gets its collision avoidance through a Goodrich Skywatch 497. It also has an Avidyne Flightmax 750 which also displays any conflicts; for a full spec of the a/c have a look at http://www.derrickings.com/PDFs/484.pdf . Hope this helps.

EN48
5th Mar 2009, 23:31
I think it gets its collision avoidance through a Goodrich Skywatch 497.

This is what I was looking for. The SKY 497 is a dedicated onboard traffic sensor which does not utilize the TIS datalink capability of the Mode S transponder to relay traffic info from the approach radar. The fact that you are seeing traffic targets in the UK with this system does not mean that radars there support the TIS datalink.

2001ft: my best guess is that TIS is US only, and if so, you will need to add a traffic sensor in the acft to see traffic on the 530. In the US TIS capabilities are described in the FAA AIM - possibily there is a similar publication in the UK.