PDA

View Full Version : Sea Fury T10 up for sale

rafmatt
22nd Feb 2008, 22:56
Any Buyers
Sea Fury T20

here's a link.

http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/-/-/-/Default-Start:ok:

Rakshasa
23rd Feb 2008, 01:36
Nice. But Provenance have a fully restored one up for sale. It's only £800k! ;)

Al R
23rd Feb 2008, 07:36
A little beyond my budget I'm afraid. But this thoughtfully presented projector really wet my juices. You can tell its been beautifully looked after.

http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/PALCarriers/en_US//sanyo%20projector.JPG

Pops556
23rd Feb 2008, 08:03
...and in better nick the the last batch of similar types we gave to the Iraqis:}
Anyone recall the rapid demise of this example at SLB? trophy hunters were all over it at one point it seems (myself not included! Photographed to death only!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/AircraftPanorama3watermarked.jpg

Evalu8ter
23rd Feb 2008, 08:47
I remember overflying Shaiba at dawn, before we'd occupied it. What a sight! The dump area had 4 or 5 Fury ISS centre sections, some Harvard and Chipmunk sections and a very flat looking Mi-8 (?).

Once Shaiba was occupied (and the runways ruined by the army...) a certain helo Sqn tried to "rescue" the gate-guard 2 seater, one of the engineers had "previous" with the type at Blackbushe. We idly dreamed of firing her up at Sqn functions! It was properly disassembled for shipment back, but for some reason never made it. I've often wondered what happened to it; now, sadly, it appears I know. What a shame!

BEagle
23rd Feb 2008, 09:08
Yet again our glorious soldiery vandalising historical artefacts.

I suppose it's too much to expect anything better....

bvcu
23rd Feb 2008, 10:38
should read T20 not T10 !!! Hopefully someone will restore her . Worked on her and had a trip in her in 1981 !! Brilliant !! What they dont mention is that she was rebuilt after her landing accident [which i witnessed] by the RAF guys on the Tornado OEU , was on static display at the airshow at boscombe [1992 ?] looking very smart , and ready to fly. Then heard through the grapevine that the fuselage wasnt true after rebuild and was then taken on by RNHF as spares source.

Pops556
23rd Feb 2008, 13:36
I heard rumour there was an example in crates down by the base hangar near the ECM sheds? The example I've added above was at the Western end of the peri-track close by to the bunker that was hit with a bunker-buster early in '91 and has a large cross marking it as a war grave. IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/BunkerMemorialPanorama1.jpg[/IMG]

diginagain
23rd Feb 2008, 14:27
Yet again our glorious soldiery vandalising historical artefacts.

I suppose it's too much to expect anything better....

Why, oh why do you persist in ruining interesting threads with your drivel?

BEagle
24th Feb 2008, 07:28
Well, it seems that the Army are taking positive steps to address behavioural concerns - even if the mad MoD sniffily refutes any idea that a problem might exist:

From The Sunday Times
February 24, 2008
Army plan to tackle troops’ yob culture

Marie Woolf, Whitehall Editor

SOLDIERS are to be given morality training by the army and will receive good conduct stripes to reward them for living up to the army’s values.

A remedial plan has been drawn up under the aegis of General Sir Richard Dannatt, the chief of the general staff and a practising Christian, to improve soldiers’ moral standards.

It will enlist army chaplains to reverse the spread of yob culture among many new recruits. The disclosure of the scheme comes as the army faces allegations that as many as 20 Iraqi prisoners were murdered by British troops after an ambush at a checkpoint in 2004.

Under the plan, revealed in a document seen by The Sunday Times, chaplains are to be trained to “provide moral guidance” not only to soldiers on active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan but also in their daily lives.

From next month squaddies will be issued with “top pocket” guides which reiterate the need for moral and ethical behaviour, including loyalty, courage and respect for other people.

The “aide memoire” is designed to be “understood by those with limited literacy skills”, according to the document. Mouse mats, posters and DVDs produced in simple English for army recruits with poor reading skills are to be introduced to inculcate values such as integrity, selflessness and loyalty in army personnel, according to those drawing up the scheme.

Chaplains will be instructed not only how to provide spiritual guidance but also about instilling “ethics and morality”.

All sections of the army will be involved in the morality drive, including the commandant at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, attended by Princes William and Harry. As part of the plan, the commandant is to write a British Army leadership doctrine - codenamed project Marlborough - by the end of this year.

The internal document links the need for a new morality drive to the “incidents of the deliberate abuse of Iraqi civilians during operations in 2003-4”.

The internal document says that the award of “good conduct chevrons” - upside-down stripes worn on the left sleeve of a soldiers’ dress uniform - should be given to those who demonstrate exceptional behaviour. Although army rules technically allow them to be awarded now, the document states that the practice has “fallen into disuse” and would need to be reactivated. One insider predicted that the stripes would be collected as avidly as badges by Scouts.

The scheme also suggests that good service and long service medals, awarded to soldiers who have served 15 years, should be forfeited by those who flout the army’s values. However, campaign and gallantry medals will not be removed, according to Ministry of Defence (MoD) sources.

Dannatt warned last year about the “growing gulf between the army and the nation”, and the plan shows that the army wants “all officers and soldiers to live by the army’s values”.

The army is concerned about the rise in illegal drug-taking, with a rise in positive tests from 517 in 2003 to 769 in 2006, and there have been numerous incidents of loutish behaviour among off-duty soldiers.

Patrick Mercer, a Conservative MP and former shadow homeland security minister, said the armed forces had grappled with maintaining sobriety and morality among the ranks for centuries. “The good old army types seem to think that it didn’t have to cope with this before,” Mercer said.

“There was a time when there were regimental temperance societies where medals could be worn as rewards for sobriety. I’m not sure about temperance badges, but bringing back good conduct badges is a good idea.”

The plan is being coordinated by Colonel John Donnelly who works for the adjutant general – the senior officer responsible for army recruitment and staff conduct.

The MoD said: “The army sets and maintains the highest standards in everything it does and this plan is simply to ensure that continues in the future.”

Hempy
24th Feb 2008, 07:42
Why, oh why do you persist in ruining interesting threads with your drivel?The man (?) has found time to make over 4 posts a day, every day, for nearly 9 years. This is his life........and he's welcome to it.

Al R
24th Feb 2008, 08:34
Shall we compare that to your day/dump ratio? Under the circumstances, I imagine it wouldn't be as prolific mind. Just back off. I can't abide cowardly bullying or ganging up on the internet. Whatever your grievance, either have the vinegar to say it direct, or make a complaint or don't say it at all.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
24th Feb 2008, 09:08
Well I'm quite happy that BEagle contributes to this and other forums. I dont know him, don't even know who he is, but quite often, what he says is spot on, even if a tad cynical.

Maybe he's just sick and tired of the way this country has gone from great to pile of $hite..?:confused:

BEagle
24th Feb 2008, 09:52
Cheers!

Cynical...moi?

Perhaps our hemp-smoking colonial chum could lend his skill with a calculator to Incapability Brown and Swiss Des so that the non-dynamic duo can work out the real cost of their current wars?

Pops556, you left a [ off your photobucket attachment, so I've taken the liberty of attaching it below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/BunkerMemorialPanorama1.jpg

It'd be nice if an undamaged Fury really is safely stored somewhere in Iraq!

Pops556
24th Feb 2008, 12:30
Ah! Grassy arse mon ami. Much obliged. Can't have my '[' missing in action! (I wondered why the piccy wasn't showing...

Ewan Whosearmy
25th Feb 2008, 08:16
The text for the advert states that is it sold 'as seen', yet the picture clearly depicts the aircraft before it was pillaged for the likes of the spinner, prop, engine, u/c door etc. Could they not use an up-to-date photo?

Pops556
25th Feb 2008, 10:23
EWAN. Prolly scribed by an ex estate agent from Swindon (as i remember the thieving Bas**rds describingthe pig-in-a-poke property we 'invested' in back in the late eightees!):}