PDA

View Full Version : IFR currency

helisteve
22nd Feb 2008, 19:40
Guys/gals
What would be your minimum hours per month of IFR flight (actual or simulated) in an aircraft that you are current on type in, that you would feel comfortable launching into the murk in, single pilot IFR? Assuming no access to synthetic simulators.
Thks

Gomer Pylot
22nd Feb 2008, 22:02
Single pilot? Comfortable? I would have to think about it, and have some practice at it to say for sure, but I'm thinking at least an hour per hitch.

Flying Bull
23rd Feb 2008, 12:26
Hi,

Don't fix it on a number of hours.
Do you fell confident enough to fly in the **** SP even with systems partial off?
You can work the checklists while beeing in the ****?
You fly appraoches you know - or you going somewhere you have never been and you have to look up and calculate a holding, missed approach etc.

I'm shooting approaches nearly every time I have the chance to, even in bright CAVOK, to enhance checklist work and accuracy without the AP, which I would use in IMC.
Surely, thats not logged as IFR - but keeps me halfway current, if the need arises.

If you have the slightest doubt - don't do it - Murphy is waiting for you to give you more problems to handle then just beeing IMC....

Greetings Flying Bull

Wizzard
23rd Feb 2008, 12:57
I think Flying Bull is on the right track. Practice, practice, practice. Take every opportunity to fly IFR procedures, particularly if you're new to the game. While you have quiet moment on the ground look through some unfamiliar approach plates and do the "what if" routine:

"what if I'm told to hold" "what if the G/S fails" etc.

And remember ALWAYS have somewhere to go if the weather closes and it helps to have the fuel to get there!

Good luck

Wiz