PDA

View Full Version : Icao To Jaa Conversion Or Modular Ppl To Cpl ?

heliporto
22nd Feb 2008, 17:37
Hello Everyone

Can anyone give me suggestions on this ?

I hold an ICAO CPL(H) and also a JAA PPL(H). About 700 Hrs flown TT

The easy way to get a JAA CPL(H) would be a conversion of the ICAO license ? Or to do a modular course and upgrade the JAR PPL(H) ?
Can anyone explain me what is the bridge theory course an if it can be applyed to my situation ?

Thanks a lot

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2008, 17:46
In either case, you've got to take the same exams; either 13 ATPL(H) exams or 9 CPL(H) exams.

However, with your hours, you should be able to convert your ICAO CPL(H) into JAA with appropriate training and skills tests rather than the formal 30/35 hour JAA CPL course.

Cheers

Whirls

heliporto
22nd Feb 2008, 18:17
Hi there , when you say appropriate training , does it means i donīt have to do the regular ground school ? Is that the bridging course ? Can you explain ?

Thanks

Whirlygig
22nd Feb 2008, 18:46
There are two parts; one is ground school theory for which you will need to do either the ATPL exams (which personally I would recommend you do) or CPL exams. You would need to check with your course provider as to whether you would be exempt any of the classroom element of these exams. My guess is that you wouldn't, I'm afraid.

Then there is the flight training. To convert an ICAO CPL to JAA CPL, you need to go to a JAA flight school and have sufficient training as is required to pass the flying skills test. This may, or may not, be less than the 30 hours required for a CPL candidate who has no other licence.

I think the bridging course to which you are referring is for military personnel who want to convert to civilian licences; I don't believe it's applicable in your case.

Cheers

Whirls

wiisp
22nd Feb 2008, 19:51
Hello Heliporto,

The big issue here is the theory, and has to be done in some freakin' way, just like whirlygig is saying. The flying is the easy part and up to the Head of training at the school to decide how much training is needed. And since the helis is flying in the same way all over the planet it should only be a matter of some hours to adapt the local style if one is somehow up to speed.. We did one convertion (flying part) last month together with a type training, total time 8 hrs + checkride..

fly safe..