PDA

View Full Version : CPL Spain, Greece or any JAA state

HairyMum
22nd Feb 2008, 13:32
Its seems that that there isnt anyone who can give a definate answer to the ongoing question, Can a holder of UK ATPL theory do the CPL training and skills test in spain or greece? so many different opinions on this. Please please please has anyone been there seen it done it know anything about it. FACTS ONLY please.:ugh:

UAV689
22nd Feb 2008, 14:21
i Have just looked at the 2007 lasors, section A8 (on the CAA website) and it says the following

An applicant who has a valid pass in JAR-FCL
Theoretical Knowledge Examinations completed
through a UK Approved Training provider, wishing to
complete a CPL modular course of flying training in
another JAA Member State should in the first instance
contact the Authority of that Member State. The
applicant should confirm with that other State that they
are willing to recognise their JAR-FCL Theoretical
Knowledge Examinations and that they will be the
‘State of Licence Issue’.

It also lists that to transfer the license to UK some forms need to be filled out, and that you need to be a UK resident for more than 185 days a year or be employed in UK.

So it looks like it is possible.

HairyMum
22nd Feb 2008, 14:39
Thanks for that UAV689. Any other points of view more than welcome...lets keep this going!

UAV689
22nd Feb 2008, 14:57
I suppose the definitive answer would always be ring the CAA and flight schools and see what they say (although i would beware of schools advice as they "may" give incorrect info in trying to get your trade! unlikely but cover your ar*se)

I hope you can go to spain as that is clearly a lot cheaper! (not perhaps better but lets not get off track!)

BillieBob
22nd Feb 2008, 16:33
Its seems that that there isnt anyone who can give a definate answer to the ongoing question...Hardly surprising since there is no definite answer. Whether an individual National Aviation Authority will accept exams set by another is entirely up to that Authority and the only way to find out is to do what LASORS says and ask.

mikeEGNT
22nd Feb 2008, 18:48
I have just had an e mail from aerofan in spain regarding the CPL. I enquired about it as i am a uk citizen and have uk ATPL theory completed, they stated that it is not possible. The CPL must be done in the UK with the exception of Ireland and OBA.

Mike

Dane-Ger
22nd Feb 2008, 19:14
I was told that the Greek Aviation Authority recognize the CAA ATPL's. I have no reason to doubt the flight schools word on this.

D-G

skyhigher
22nd Feb 2008, 19:15
as far as i am aware from memory (i used to work in Greece) you can complete both your cpl and IR in some other jaa countries if you have a uk theory atpl. the issuing authority (for example HCAA= greek caa) has to approve/recognise the atpl theory, and from what i can remember HCAA do recognise the UK ATPLs. the spanish caa do not.

that part should (and i used the word should carefully!) be pretty simple, unfortunately the time frame to have the licence issued is not straight forward! take care with your decision!

search other threads for time frames for licence issue of other jaa countries, and what others have come across when training in other jaa states! the IR can be done anywhere in jaa land.

georgez
23rd Feb 2008, 11:24
I would like to inform everybody that after an Egnatia Aviation request (and determination), the UK and the Hellenic CAA have signed (early 2007) a mutual agreement for accepting each other theory pass certificates. Both UK and Hellenic Authorities have honored this agreement not only for initial CPL or ATPL training but also for FAA to JAA conversions. :)

Authorities from other JAA member states accept both training and passes without any formal agreement in place, based on the JAA concept of 'mutual recognition' etc, as stated in the first few paragraphs or JAR FCL.

Egnatia Aviation has trained people from 24 different authorities todate and we have never had an issue yet that was not resolved by getting the authorities to talk to each other.

Hopefully EASA will address some of these issues better.

Take care,

George :)