PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara ATR 42 -300 a/c missing

asvsu
22nd Feb 2008, 03:31
Dear folks,

Any one from Venezuela..? any updates regarding the missing ATR aircraft.. 46 on board it seems ( 43 passengers + 3 crews)..

weasil
22nd Feb 2008, 12:58
Plane Carrying 46 Missing in Venezuela
By JORGE RUEDA
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-venezuela-plane-missing,0,7183072.story
7:40 AM CST, February 22, 2008

CARACAS, Venezuela

Rescue teams climbed into the mountains of southwestern Venezuela on Friday in search of a plane that disappeared with 46 people aboard. Officials feared the worst after residents reported hearing a thunderous crash in the area.

The flight was reported missing 30 minutes after takeoff on Thursday from the city of Merida. The rescue crews were headed to the mountainous area of Collado del Condor, at an altitude of about 13,000 feet.

Residents in the area reported by phone "that they heard a great crash," said Noel Marquez, the emergency management director in Merida state.

The twin-engine plane, owned by Venezuelan airline Santa Barbara, failed to contact control towers in two cities as expected after it took off en route to Simon Bolivar International Airport near Caracas, said Gen. Antonio Rivero, Venezuela's emergency management director.

"There is no eyewitness who gives the location of the aircraft, and the search so far has not been successful in the areas where initially it was reported by phone that the aircraft could presumably be found," Rivero said in a statement Friday.

Relatives and friends of those on board gathered in tears, some of them embracing, at Simon Bolivar International Airport as they awaited word from authorities.

Santa Barbara is a small airline that covers domestic routes in Venezuela.

The French-made ATR 42-300 carrying 43 passengers and three crew members took off from Merida's airport at 4:59 p.m., officials said. The duration of the flight was to have been an hour and 45 minutes.

The weather was normal for Merida on Thursday, with some areas sunny and fog at higher elevations, said Lt. Luis Uzcategui of the Merida fire department.

"In that mountainous area there always tends to be more fog due to the altitude," Uzcategui said.

The area where the plane disappeared is about 400 miles southwest of Caracas.

weasil
22nd Feb 2008, 13:39
CNN just reported that the wreckage has been found - no survivors.

asvsu
22nd Feb 2008, 15:16
Sad news..condolences to the families , relatives and friends of all on board

_FLYBYHAND_
23rd Feb 2008, 16:21
Very sad news , the Grid Mora on that zone is 15.000 fts, as i saw on the map they didnt used the normal route , that is to fly over the valley until t reach the minimum sector altitude. why was that? is a big question that can be awnsered by the black box.

http://www.centrocas.com/YV1449RH1.asp

captain had 9 year operating that route
copilot had at least 4 years operating that route , flying the ATR and Beech 1900

lets wait for the INAC bouletin:oh:

Que dios los tenga en la gloria , paz a sus restos.

jalways
24th Feb 2008, 18:04
Reading this article I realized that my friend Dennis Ferreira was the copliot of this flight, the last time that I've spoke to him he was still flying on Avior B1900.
What a Bad news...I'm really disappointed...
Condolences to his family.

Wish you all the best in the other world Dennis...

You friend David

YV757
24th Feb 2008, 23:43
Hi Jalways:

Dennis was also a good friend of mine here in Santa Barbara. He will be missed!!

That's what's puzzling us. Both were experienced pilots on the route. And the plane was found on wrong side. They shouldn't have been there. And they knew about it!! Let's wait for the black boxes analisis, to clear the mistery. Sad day indeed.

Best Regards.

YV757
25th Feb 2008, 11:15
Hello to all:

We're having a meeting this morning with our chief pilot, to talk about the accident. And I suppose that they will be talking about what could've happened. As soon as I get any new info, I'll post it.

Take care, my dear collegues. May you have always a safe and pleasant flight.

Strobe lights
11th Mar 2008, 11:35
My condolences to family and relatives of everybody on board. Rest in Peace.
I remember flying in Peru and this type of flights are very dangerous.
Why they were outside the safe side?
Anyway, rest in peace all of them and very sad about the copilot who was so passionate with his career. We are never ready for this.

Chopperlover
18th Apr 2008, 01:27
The CVR and FDR were sent to France for evaluation. Has anyone heard any news on the outcome?