PDA

View Full Version : VC10s in Nice

NRU74
21st Feb 2008, 18:19
My aircraft recognition was never very good - but - sitting in Terminal 1 at Nice this lunch time with Mrs NRU waiting to catch the BMIBaby to Birmingham I saw what I thought was a VC10 landing on R/W 04
After we SLF were loaded and taxied out to the threshold of 04 I saw it was indeed a VC10 in 101 Sqn livery - and, as we waited, a second VC10 landed.
Good to see the boys and girls are still getting some good trips .
The Nice Carnival is still on, of course,and continues well into Lent and the weather is superb at the moment.
Anyone know what they are there for ?

harrogate
21st Feb 2008, 18:32
Yep.

They were operating via Nice while feeding the 6 x 25 Sqn F3s and 4 x Marham GR4s that were enroute to Akrotiri for Ex Magic Carpet in Oman.

4 more Marham GR4s off tomorrow.

cazatou
21st Feb 2008, 19:27
All of which is, of course, totally unclassified (not even Restricted) - isn't it?

harrogate
21st Feb 2008, 19:46
I am Torpy.

PlasticCabDriver
21st Feb 2008, 20:00
I'm Torpy!

Oh no, hang on, no I'm not, I thought you said "I'm Tipsy".

bowly
21st Feb 2008, 20:52
No. I am Torpy. No Duff...

Regie Mental
21st Feb 2008, 21:50
No. I'm Torpy. And so is my wife.

Adam Nams
21st Feb 2008, 23:57
Just to avoid any confusion.....

Dipsy: A lovable green television character from the popular children's series 'Teletubbies'.
http://www.toulouseweb-aero.com/carnet/images/torpy.jpg

AIR VICE-MARSHAL G L TORPY CBE DSO BSc(Eng) RAFhttp://www.kinderfreund.de/galerie/tub_91.jpg

HILF
22nd Feb 2008, 03:31
Adam nams

I'm still confused, which is which?

Why does he need so many aliases to post on Pprune?

HILF

Torchy
22nd Feb 2008, 08:44
Did you say Torchy?

Finger Poking
22nd Feb 2008, 08:54
25 Disband in.... 42 Days

And this week they have deployed to Oman for an exercise?

WHY ?

What a waste of money. What is the point of maintaining their operational ability and capability at the level of overseas exercises at this point? Would this have not been better justified on an Emerging Typhoon Squadron.

Maybe one who has just recently completed a week at the home of 25? Sleeping in tents, in a car park, working from VAS and classed as an SLT Exercise. They just forgot the other sections involvment, injects, etc etc.

SO XI deploying to an airfield 2 hours north is good value training for a squadron which will probably exsist for the next 20 years whilst a squadron with less than 60 Days goes to OMAN for a major Ex.

Priceless Management. Priceless justification. Continual Waste.

And we wonder why we have no money.........

P.S. Apart from the fact that the Un-Elected PM is a *rick and so is his loony working class, plebian Party.

Chainkicker
22nd Feb 2008, 09:00
cazatou - All of which is, of course, totally unclassified (not even Restricted) - isn't it?

Unless they have changed the way T/Ops etc are sent out then yes they are sent unclassified.

Vage Rot
22nd Feb 2008, 09:14
Yep.

They were operating via Nice while feeding the 6 x 25 Sqn F3s and 4 x Marham GR4s that were enroute to Akrotiri for Ex Magic Carpet in Oman.

4 more Marham GR4s off tomorrow.

Of course, the Frenchies don't have any military airfields or accomodation for the BZN finest do they?? None available in Seeb either apparently! Despite this lack of available shelter we manage to find plenty portacabins in Seeb - a few spare for you guys too - not as plush as the Shangrila but we manage to sleep there ok!!

teeteringhead
22nd Feb 2008, 09:16

WHY ?

.... well, 6 did better than that ... they came back from the States and flew the jets straight to the knackers yard (aka Saints!)

12 twists per inch
22nd Feb 2008, 09:21
Ahhh. Dry your eyes princess, the world is against you. :rolleyes:

Jayand
22nd Feb 2008, 10:10
Vage rot get a feckin grip, who cares that you stay in a portacabin and the 10 boys don't when they visit seeb?
You joined the wrong fleet get over it.
At least you can afford your own house up in Elgin, try that down in Brize?

Old Hairy
22nd Feb 2008, 14:21
It was ever thus...........In June 63,I was posted to B Squadron BD.On arrival was informed Group Captain Flying reqired me to fill the post of Adjt. as the present incumbent had broken his leg.Shortly after Group Captain departs on leave. Evil B*****ds on Transport Sqn. duly saunter in to get my signature on flight to some hole in middle east for hot trails.Group Captain returns,I get bollocked for authorising route via Nice:\ It was only that he was my ex boss on 57 that saved me from lynching.:mad:s did"nt even stand me a beer in the Mess on return:{

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Feb 2008, 15:23
When I was flying back in a VC10 from a holiday in the sand courtesy of MoD package holidays many years ago we landed at Nice to refuel. Those high quality French ground handlers managed to marshall the aircraft just a little bit too close to a stand of small trees and the port wing became an ad-hoc scythe.

Luckily the aircraft was built in the days when we in the UK really knew how to build stuff that lasts and after a quick inspection of the collection of extra scratches and dents on the leading edge we were soon on our way again.

Vage Rot
22nd Feb 2008, 15:44
Vage rot get a feckin grip, who cares that you stay in a portacabin and the 10 boys don't when they visit seeb?
You joined the wrong fleet get over it.
At least you can afford your own house up in Elgin, try that down in Brize?

Fishing really is getting TOO easy these days!!:}:):ok:

OCCWMF
22nd Feb 2008, 16:34

WHY ?

What a waste of money. What is the point of maintaining their operational ability and capability at the level of overseas exercises at this point? Would this have not been better justified on an Emerging Typhoon Squadron.

25 disband. I'm sure the members of the sqn will simply stop flying, leave the air force and fade away generally. They would in no way move into other sqns, types or posts where that experience might be useful. I think you've been poking that finger too deep in your ear (or more likely uranus).

Male chicken.

Finger Poking
22nd Feb 2008, 18:09
Clearly a fellow Gentlemen chap with your command of Grammar.

But what a misguided Moron you present yourself as.

Not for one moment did I suggest that they would all instantly be leaving the Force. But, as this will end F3 Ops at Leeming, the vast majority will be posted to pastures new.

At the same approximate time, 43 join 56 to form a 'Super' Sqn and thus also reducing in numbers of personnel. Rocket scientists apart I will assist you with the math...... The equivalent of 1.5 Sqn's worth of Gingers and Aircrew mates all now needing new postings. The F3 world would seem to be full so the experience of that frame, either maintaining or flying, on overseas excerise is wasted.

Yes, life experience expands as a result of the deployment but as it is training a specific unit to operate together, primarily as a coherent and capable force, the impetous of the training is wasted.

So, my cretinous friend, I stand by my previous post and wonder if it is not more likely that you have a finger in a hole....... and I bet you like it too!!

formertonkaplum
22nd Feb 2008, 18:14
Funny,

Harsh,

But indeed fair.

Jayand
22nd Feb 2008, 19:14
Fishing for what vage? you were deadly serious as all of us who know you realise.

nav attacking
22nd Feb 2008, 19:21
Jayand justify this then:

Why the hell should crews that are on average flying every other night or day in support of ops on an infinitely variable swing shift system and those ground crew supporting them are forced to stay in the DOB at Muscat yet those just transitting through can get HOTAC at public expense. How can that be justified? Don't give me s$$t about being on a different fleet we are from the same group and there are spare rooms here. Maybe you should become more realistic towards what the RAF can really afford these days....We are a tin pot outfit surviving on a shoestring. If you don't like that then bang out!

Yes I enjoyed time in HOTAC during Gulf 1 and ops dets in between but money is tight and when there is a perfectly satisfactorary DOB here then get a grip and join in with the rest of us. Maybe you will realise what it means to be operational!! You may learn something you never know!

PS Jeyand

I owned my own house near Benson so :p. You can afford what you want to.

airborne_artist
22nd Feb 2008, 20:29
I owned my own house near BensonBerinsfield doesn't count ;)

Seldomfitforpurpose
23rd Feb 2008, 00:00
"Yes I enjoyed time in HOTAC during Gulf 1 and ops dets in between but money is tight and when there is a perfectly satisfactorary DOB here then get a grip and join in with the rest of us"

Only a Nav could suggest something so stupid :rolleyes:

Vage Rot
23rd Feb 2008, 08:47
I did actually ask to go 10's once but I was told that I would have to work a lot harder to be crap enough to get chopped from a real aircraft first!!

Not that I'm saying you were chopped Jayand - just for public record!:ok:

FarQueueHall
23rd Feb 2008, 09:27
I did actually ask to go 10's once but I was told that I would have to work a lot harder to be crap enough to get chopped from a real aircraft first!!:D

Laughed so loud at this I had to open a profile instead of just browsing!!

We certainly do tend to send our rejects South for a simpler life don't we!!

Jayand
23rd Feb 2008, 09:31
NA and VR I have spent many weeks every year at seeb for the last 6 years, so don't preach to me like I don't know what I am talking about!
I have witnessed on numerous occasions VC10, tristar, fast jet and a multitude of other aircraft types and their crews pass through seeb, most of whom have stayed off base, and it has never bothered me in the slightest.
I am not the one whingeing! if you don't like it do as you say and bang out!

Arty Fufkin
23rd Feb 2008, 10:15
Nav Attacking,

You don't seem very happy mate. I would like to think that you have genuine concerns about MOD expenditure and your post about HOTAC was driven by a desire to promote frugality in all we do. (But I guess you are looking forward to the arrival of the MRA4)

I cannot help thinking however, that your driving motivation is the sheer jealousy of seeing crews climb on a bus and head off to a hotel while you remain on the DOB. I have experienced the accommodation on the det and the accommodation downtown. I can assure you that the chances of being well rested prior to an 0200 report are vastly improved if crew rest has been taken in a quiet hotel room rather than a portakabin with a 90db Air Conditioner and all the associated noise of Seeb at pub closing time. Fact!!

That being the case, perhaps you would like to explain to me why flight safety should take a back seat to everybody sharing in your (and others) discomfort? I assume you would be willing to pitch a 12 by 12 and live in that as a mark of solidarity with those who can only dream of life in a portakabin.

I salute you sir, if you are not already one, I am sure you will make a fine senior officer.

FarQueueHall
23rd Feb 2008, 10:50
That being the case, perhaps you would like to explain to me why flight safety should take a back seat to everybody sharing in your (and others) discomfort? I assume you would be willing to pitch a 12 by 12 and live in that as a mark of solidarity with those who can only dream of life in a portakabin.

Careful Arty old chap - that's exactly what Nav Attacking was living in before the portacabins arrived!!

As the impartial newcomer hare: The MR2 fleet, In-theatre Tristar, Merlin and Herc crews seem to manage on the DOB with all sorts of weird and wonderful departure times so, if you have a FS precedent that those fleets could quote to 2Gp then I'm sure that they would love to have the reference - especially as everyone is part of 2Gp now!!

Serious bit over! Why can't people just have a bit of banter these days? Then again, lack of a sence of humour always was a truckie trait!!:ouch::}:)

Arty Fufkin
23rd Feb 2008, 11:20
I'd love to quote the exact GASOs that detail acceptable levels of accommodation but those particular orders have been conveniently removed. :eek:

With regards to the Flt Saftey issue, surely the goal is to ensure that crews are affored the best rest that is possible. If it is possible to put all personel in better accommodation that should be the goal. If it is only posible to offer decent accommodation to transiting crews, why not? We have all flown absoloutely knackered in the past and will all do it again if the nature of the task demands it. I do however fail to see what is wrong with reducing the inherent risks if it is within our means to do so.

Personaly, if im one of 230 passengers being landed in a 200' cloudbase with 30kts across after a 8 hr night flight, I wouldn't begrudge the pilot a shot at some decent rest before hand. Mind you, I'm obviously a coward!!

Standing by, white feather in hand.

14greens
23rd Feb 2008, 11:54
arty fufkin!!
well said mate! Thats what its all about, making sure joe punter all 200 of em get home safely, and hopefully on time ish! ducking for inbound on that one

As for Nav attacking hmmm obviously the tranisting crew are just that they only see the place once, err NOT! have a look at the crews when they come through and how often, and sticking up for the back end crew here, dont forget with an augmented crew we can do 24 hr crew day, have a look what constitutes an augmented crew and maybe you might re think why a decent bed is worth its weight in gold. And obviously we stick rigidly to the 24 hrs prior to augmented crew ops:}

As for ops hmmmmm so ask yourself where the heck do you think the jets arrive from??

BEagle
23rd Feb 2008, 12:10
In more civilised times, before Blair and his Bush bum-sucking wars, I recall being obliged to double up in detachment accommodation so that a number of 'transit' rooms could be kept free for Ascoteers....

It is often much simpler to throw the problem at others (Hotel W'at Ever - a contract for 10 rooms for the next 3 years please) than it is to pi$$ of fresidents with the embuggeration of sorting out transit arrangements for every transiting crew. Plus it also liberates more space for those on detachments.

Even so-called 'permanent' bases such as Akrotiri found it difficult to manage the chaos of Ascot movements at the turn of the century - much easier (though less enjoyable) to get the Episkopiana to sort it all out.

However, those living in $hit in Incapability Browne's war zones will not be easily persuaded, no matter how cogent the argument.

Arty Fufkin
23rd Feb 2008, 18:07
I dunno. It seems to have done the trick.:}

pikeyeng
26th Feb 2008, 21:27
:ok: Yeah Nice was nice we were pre positioned for a trail and to stay there for the night saved about £20000 in airframe hours and maintenance, so I was told. As an ex kipper fleet dude I've done tents and portacabins and still do out in the deid so dry your eyes and start sharin the love cos us tanker dudes ain't all that bad:hmm:!!