PDA

View Full Version : Accommodation at `the Deid`

light_my_spey
20th Feb 2008, 21:05
Getting ready for my annual holiday at the Deid but have been hearing rumours that the Americans have relocated themselves to the newly built permanent accommodation across the road taking most of the welfare with them. We however are staying in the usual cabins for now? Can anyone out there just now give a good heads up?

regards

LMS.

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th Feb 2008, 23:55
Think lucky you could be on your way to Basra where they would love the dilemma you post about.............can someone please decipher the fla REMF for me...........:ugh:

FFP
21st Feb 2008, 02:19
Seldom,

Let me guess. Someone's been to Tenerife, you've been to Elevenerife ;)

We all know that no matter what hand we've been dealt, someone has a worse hand. Spey wasn't asking to be reminded of that, they just wanted to know what their hand would be.

Can't help you at the moment Spey, although I may be going through there soon and will try and find out for you.

ScufferEng
21st Feb 2008, 05:54
I am on my Hols in the Deid at the moment, Accomodation still the same; as the yanks move to their new penthouse suites the vacated accomodation is being filled by ...yes you guessed- more yanks! :{

BX has been downgraded to shopette level and pool is closed for refurb until April. However it is not all bad as deep in the bowels of the new US blocks there is a BX complex with a resonable BX and a VG new gym and indoor pool, these amenties are all a car ride away however. Pretty cold here (evenings)with blowing sandstorms.

Farfrompuken
21st Feb 2008, 07:49
The Welfare setup is all the same as is the dining facility. The original gym remains in place next to the DEL.

I'm not sure how it'll be in the future but as it is, you'll find there's little change.

Rumour has it the new 'cadillacs' may be complete in the next couple of years...

peppermint_jam
21st Feb 2008, 09:21
Was there for my annual trip the back end of last year, the cadilacs being built outside our accomodation were worked on for 1 day in 2 months!! I suspect the locals have been taught by british builders!

Grabbers
21st Feb 2008, 14:48
FFP,

I think SFFP has a point. Oh for that worry:ugh:

FFP
21st Feb 2008, 15:52
I don't think SFFP has a point. Would a question about the mess at Lossie get the same response ? Would we all be piping up about how lucky someone is to be staying at Lossie and that the Deid is a worse place to be ? I also don't think Spey was worrying or bitching about the Deid. He was just asking about the accom set up, which is a fair enough question

I guess I'm fed up with the "My ass is blacker than yours" attitude that some have on here. We all know there's sh!ttier places to be. I just don't see the point in bringing it up every thread, esp when the starting post wasn't even a b!tch about it !!!

The place is turning into the Monty Python "When I were a lad" sketch...

If someone wants some sympathy to their cause, start another thread about how hard you have it, and we'll all give you a hug.

I'm sure if someone started asking about accom in Basra then we'd get the "Count yourself lucky it's not Afghanistan mate !!" brigade starting up.....

It's the same old stuff. Just like a post that appears in most threads bringing up the spelling and grammar of the original poster. It's boring and no one else care to hear about it.

Off to my 22 man tent to whinge some more...........;)

Climebear
21st Feb 2008, 16:09
FFP

A 22-man tent - you're lucky. When I were a lad.....;)

indie cent
21st Feb 2008, 16:11
The 'deid appears to be getting better and worse simultaneously.

Last time I was there I saw rats (big ones!) under the dining facility; the smell nearby made me cowk!

The new Bx is reasonable, (albeit filled with the same c£@p) with a stir-fry and Starbucks "coming soon"... Also, a comprehensive suite of multiplayer video games so you can kill each other without repercussions.

The new accom looks fine although we wont be moving in.

Re. the cadillacs: I noticed the builders now have a USAF airman assigned to monitor their work-rate. Sensible move as bricks are being laid instead of baking in the sun. They may even be built now.

Enjoy.

minigundiplomat
21st Feb 2008, 17:13
I too think Seldom has a point. Agree with the sentiment that the original poster was just asking a question, but the responses have been a bit whingy....

I guess I'm fed up with the "My ass is blacker than yours" attitude that some have on here. We all know there's sh!ttier places to be. I just don't see the point in bringing it up every thread, esp when the starting post wasn't even a b!tch about it !!!

Trust me, you have nothing to bitch about. Things could be far, far worse.

Last time I was there I saw rats (big ones!) under the dining facility; the smell nearby made me cowk!

You poor dear!

I get a bit fed up as well FFP, especially when people think they are hard done by when in fact they are living in relative luxury. The days of the cold war are over. Welcome to expeditionary warfare.

Grabbers
21st Feb 2008, 17:47
Perhaps if the original poster had not described the forthcoming det as a holiday the response may have been more sympathetic.

Roland Pulfrew
21st Feb 2008, 17:57
And MGD joins the discussion with "I have had it harder and tougher than all of you". Now that's a bit of a shock, isn't it? Oh. No it isn't. :ugh:

I have to agree with FFP. SFFP's comment was about as pointless as .....

The bloke who started the topic was asking for info on one location. He is posted to that location not Basra, nor Bastion. He probably didn't ask to be going to Qatar. If he was posted to Basra or Bastion I guess he would be asking for info on those locations instead. But then again I presume that MGD and SFFP would still come up with some form of criticism, how cushy it is in that location and he has nothing to complain about as well. GROW UP.

minigundiplomat
21st Feb 2008, 19:05
And MGD joins the discussion with "I have had it harder and tougher than all of you". Now that's a bit of a shock, isn't it? Oh. No it isn't.

The bloke who started the topic was asking for info on one location. He is posted to that location not Basra, nor Bastion. He probably didn't ask to be going to Qatar. If he was posted to Basra or Bastion I guess he would be asking for info on those locations instead. But then again I presume that MGD and SFFP would still come up with some form of criticism,

Hence:

Agree with the sentiment that the original poster was just asking a question, but the responses have been a bit whingy....

TMJ
22nd Feb 2008, 08:28
Perhaps if the original poster had not described the forthcoming det as a holiday the response may have been more sympathetic.

For God's sake, whatever happened to a sense of humour. I have always refered to the 'Deid as a holiday camp, not because I didn't work bloody hard when I was out there, but as an acknowledgement that people on other dets have a lot harder time in terms of facilities and enemy action. Horses, high, bitching from for the use of: get rid...

Grabbers
22nd Feb 2008, 08:48
Ooh, calm down princess;)

Chris Kebab
22nd Feb 2008, 09:01
It does seem to be the same old half a dozen or so posters who trash most threads.

Amazing what anonimity does to some people.

GPMG
22nd Feb 2008, 09:04
It seems to be the old

"You think it's cold now??? Wait till you get to Norway"

Yeah, cheers for that.

I think the original poster was asking for details regarding what kind of personal kit to take etc.

Arty Fufkin
22nd Feb 2008, 17:01
Apparently, on my next sojurn east I too may have to stay in a portakabin. With this in mind I have the following questions:

Do i still have to tip the jingly who carries my kit or is this not required as we are now engaged in "expeditionary warfare"?

If the answer to the above is yes, can I claim the porterage back on the imprest?

Are captains are entitled to en-suite?

What exactly is a portakabin?:confused:

minigundiplomat
22nd Feb 2008, 17:21
What exactly is a portakabin

An upmarket Travel lodge. Hope this helps.

Arty Fufkin
22nd Feb 2008, 17:32
What's a Travel Lodge?

minigundiplomat
22nd Feb 2008, 17:56
A downmarket Premier Travel Inn.

Beatriz Fontana
22nd Feb 2008, 19:28
mileandahalf, The Old Fat One,

It did remind me a little of the place in which Alan Partridge used to stay. Although there wasn't the Geordie ex-soldier on reception telling war stories... :)

light_my_spey
22nd Feb 2008, 23:43
Sheesh, I only asked:bored:

And SFFP as you seem to think I`m checking out this year`s 18-30 holiday I can assure you and perhaps raise your moral by informing you I`ve spent many an an hour at Basra on the receiving end of some local `entertainment`.

Christ you`ll QOR me next.

LMS

Seldomfitforpurpose
22nd Feb 2008, 23:49
Abject apologies LMS but alcohol was a contributing factor :O

Enjoy the Deid and keep your head down.

busdriver02
23rd Feb 2008, 00:37
Do you Brit types still have your own bar that doesn't have to deal with the 3 drink max that the US dictates?

L J R
23rd Feb 2008, 00:52
I know nothing about the Muff Inn....

Jobza Guddun
23rd Feb 2008, 13:37
If you go to the Oasis, you'll be struck out after 3 just like anywhere else.:E

Melchett01
14th Jun 2008, 21:40
Well, they've finally caught up with me and are soon packing me of to AUD or 'the Deid' (is calling it that an attempt to make it sound more punchy than it is?) or whatever its called. Random question - I know I will be able to get fixed internet access, but have they installed wireless access yet?

Just curious having searched the other threads and read comments about big Spams reading the results of the Buffalo racing from Dallas in the UK cabins, and I know there are other locations where mates are serving that do have wireless access. Just wondering if it had made it this far south.

BEagle
15th Jun 2008, 12:47
From the RAF careers website:

All our personnel look forward to comfortable accommodation and three decent meals a day – whether they’re in the UK or working overseas on detachment.

'Look forward to' - but do actually they get it? If so, things must be a lot better nowadays than hitherto.....

Alber Ratman
15th Jun 2008, 16:21
At BIA you really do get 3 hot meals, however watch out for those packed lunches. The rolls are always only half buttered!:{

monkeymanagement
17th Jun 2008, 09:46
Melchett. No wireless for UK - yet. It's being worked on. MM

SCINHead
18th Jun 2008, 01:11
Just make sure your sideburns are the right length; I mean you wouldnt want to compromise ops out here would you....:rolleyes: you couldnt make it up.