PDA

View Full Version : 36 months to do the IR - from first or last ATPL exam?

bennyjoha
20th Feb 2008, 18:35
is the 36 months rule to take the IR from the first or last ATPL exam? If the IR is not done within the 36 do I need to sit all ATPL exams again or just the instrument to get the IR?

cirruscrystal
20th Feb 2008, 18:37
you need 6 of the atpls for the IR - not sure which - check the lazors on the caa website:ok:

AlphaMale
20th Feb 2008, 19:42
Pretty sure it's the last, but I think there is also a time limit between starting your first ATPL exam and finishing it (18 months if I am not mistaken?).

So from the time you start your first ATPL exam you have 18 months + 36 months to get your CPL & IR.

Thylakoid
21st Feb 2008, 04:52
Hi anyone, is this Frozen ATPL thing a JAA issue only? May ICAO license holders write an ATPL exam to submit it as Frozen ATPL?

Thanks

Lasiorhinus
21st Feb 2008, 05:42
Its an English thing. The rest of the world often understand the term to mean, you have your ATPL exam credit, but have yet to gain enough aeronautical experience to actually have an ATPL issued.

Whirlygig
21st Feb 2008, 07:38
That's what frozen ATPL means here - it's really a CPL/IR with ATPL theory credits.

Cheers

Whirls

Foz2
21st Feb 2008, 10:09
Hi

Ive just been through this issue with the CAA because sadly my ATPL theorys have now expired.

If you study ATPL theorys you have to complete your CPL and IR and apply for the licence within 3 years of passing the last exam. If you pass the CPL within the 3 years, but not the IR, the exams revert to CPL only. Thus if you have a CPL but no IR and your exams have expired, then you need to do the IR exams again. However, even if you do this and gain your IR, you will not get a Frozen ATPL (just a CPL/IR) which means you will not be able to work for any multi crew operator ( in other words no airline job). You could work as an instructor or air taxi but it must be single crew only.

Unfortunately, i have just been through this ( asking for an exam extension) but the CAA said absolutely no, no way, definately not! I dont blame them as a rule is a rule.

Hope that helps.

Foz2.

bennyjoha
21st Feb 2008, 13:43
thank you very much - it did help

Thylakoid
21st Feb 2008, 14:13
Thanks everyone for the answers on the Frozen ATPL.
I learned that Qatar Airways now hires foreign cadets with F/ATPL, but Transport Canada (where my CPL is from) doesn't recognize that as such (I mean, the Frozen thing).

TelBoy
21st Feb 2008, 22:54
Very interesting points above. Please can anyone answer this question.

If I take CPL theory and get CPL issued and then LATER want to do the IR and fATP is this possible in any time frame by going and taking A)the rest of the ATP theory or B)all the ATP theory.

Seems to me the FAA system is better than this (FAA biased licence holder that I am)

Whirlygig
21st Feb 2008, 23:03
You would need to take all the ATPL exams. There are some differences in the syllabi between CPL and ATPL (with ATPL having an extended syllabus) in pretty much all the subjects.

Cheers

Whirls

TelBoy
21st Feb 2008, 23:21
Thanks Whirls for the fast reply.

For all those who wonder why I ask. I have a restricted class 1 CAA medical because of colour vision. This will allow me to go to CPL for air work such as instructing - not so bad really! If however I later pass a colour vision test (the CAA are planning a new computer test that they hope the JAA will take on board) then fATP will be the way to go.

I ask the question as I want to start the professional writtens soon, but if I go for ATP exams and can only (at present) be issued a CPL and it goes over the 3 years then I'm "stuffed" alternativley I do not want to emark on a long and expensive course of study now for CPL to just retake a lot later on.

Sorry about the FAA example but I am biased for them as I have an unrestricted FAA medical (I passed their CV tests) and their system seems a lot more of a logical progression - CPL written and practical, IR written and practical, ATP written and practical. I also have an FAA PPL even though I am a Brit.