PDA

View Full Version : OI !! USA, hold on.

Flapping_Madly
20th Feb 2008, 18:04
This smart idea of shooting down a satellite---do Jumbos like flying through showers of space debris ??

I don't like the sound of this at all.

OFBSLF
20th Feb 2008, 18:28
Flapping Madly:

That satellite is coming down one way or the other. If it is shot up, then it will be in smaller pieces which are more likely to burn up on re-entry.

Furthermore, it is not the first satellite to re-enter orbit. Nor the largest. Remember Skylab?

NZScion
20th Feb 2008, 18:57
Off to the east of New Zealand there are a number of large danger zones for the purpose, which go from SFC to FL999, and they drop satellites there all the time. I guess they figure out where the pieces will go and activate the applicable zone.

Flapping_Madly
20th Feb 2008, 19:56
Oh No !! Thats made it worse. I'm flying to New Zealand early March:eek::eek::eek:

NZScion
21st Feb 2008, 05:30
The thing is usually when they bring a satellite down, they can usually calculate where it will land to within a few hundered kilometers. Then they can just issue a Notam, and a/c don't fly through that region. I understand they shot the current one down because they didn't have control over it and didnt know where it was coming down...

PAXboy
21st Feb 2008, 09:32
The stated reason is that it's tank of hydrazine fuel has become frozen solid and that could help it to survive re-entry. Hydrazine is not helpful to humans. So they say they were being the nice guys and shooting it down.

The Russians and the Chinese say that it was an excuse to test their anti-satellite rockets.

angels
21st Feb 2008, 10:03
The Americans say the satellite was hit and they reckon the fuel has been destroyed. Debris is re-entering the atmosphere as I type, but this is the small stuff which should burn up without a problem.

There's going to be a news conference at 1200 GMT (0700 EST) according to Reuters.

OFBSLF
21st Feb 2008, 12:02
Oh No !! Thats made it worse. I'm flying to New Zealand early MarchIf you truly are worrying about this type of thing, then you are truly daft. The odds of an aircraft being hit by falling debris from a satellite are about the same as being hit by lightning in the midst of an earthquake during a hurricane.

Flapping_Madly
21st Feb 2008, 20:35
Oh !!! No !!! They have earthquakes in New Zealand. Lots of em. All I will need is a hurricane and a thunderstorm and I'm toast. Thanks a lot !!!:eek::)