PDA

View Full Version : UK airline pilots - what trade publications do you read?

LSSUK
20th Feb 2008, 10:16
As it says on the tin, I'm trying to find out which trade magazines/publications UK airline pilots read... I've only managed to find one called 'Pilot' but wondered if you could suggest any others?

Many thanks.

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Feb 2008, 10:19
Flight International, from the back, only where found lying around for free or standing in WHSmith. Maximum read time 6 minutes. After that its a dead heat between Nuts, Stuff or (for the older Skippers) What Yacht.

And I'm only half joking.

LSSUK
20th Feb 2008, 10:53
lol. Thanks WWW!

redsnail
20th Feb 2008, 10:59
Flight International.

Finance newspapers.

Bike and RiDe magazine, Tatler, Vogue, Marie Claire, Stuff, Macworld.

Mercenary Pilot
20th Feb 2008, 11:14
"Pilot" is really for light aircraft owners and operators, they tried/try to do a bit on Pro flying but it is misinformation & waffle and is used to promote the schools that spent the most on advertising.

Airliner World is a popular choice for the those of us who really do feel no shame in being obsessed with aviation. :p

Otherwise I would say by far the most common reads on the flight deck IMO are "Nuts" for the guys and "Heat" for the girls.

batoutofhell
20th Feb 2008, 15:16
Oxford Aviation get a fair bit of promotion in Pilot but I don't remember seeing them advertise for quite some time

FougaMagister
20th Feb 2008, 17:55
Flight International - although it's a bit dear for a 6-minute read as WWW said. Plus it includes such features as UAVs or spaceflight which don't concern me (NASA having ignored my application again :} ).

Airliner World - the first 15 or so pages of airline news are worth the price (and quite useful in keeping au fait with what's happening in the industry), plus there is some good photography.

Otherwise, a Jeppesen manual or the FCOM or the Route Perf Manual or Focus if I'm flying with a training captain - if not then Nuts or Zoo or Playboy :ok: will do (although the latter is no good for concentration ;) )

Cheers :cool:

Leezyjet
20th Feb 2008, 23:04
Most of our lot read whatever they can get for free the gate room or what is supposed to be for the F/J passengers onboard !!!.

:}

potkettleblack
21st Feb 2008, 10:36
First job on the turnaround is to grab a cuppa. Second job is to walk the length of the cabin grabbing any papers and mags that the pax have left behind. Overnights are always good as the hotel will usually have an assortment of various papers to throw into your nav bag for your days work.

badboy raggamuffin
21st Feb 2008, 15:11
Flight International! The Job-hunter's bible! What an utterly dismal magazine that is.

WWW is correct, the only time I have ever read this dreadful publication is whilst waiting for a train at Euston Station. Even then Ive only looked at the job section, which has as far as I can tell never contained anything of any use to a low hours pilot.

tom775257
21st Feb 2008, 15:53
Amusing...FougaMagister indeed in my flight case at the moment I have Focus, Nuts and Zoo... great minds eh? I find it really cheers up the captains if I pull out a few mags at the start of the flight for perusal during the quieter moments on the flight.

Flight international, I have a subscription, alas what a dull read. You too can learn about the latest advancements in UAVs... woohoo. Sometimes I read that boring magazine 'The link' that Airbus' propaganda department produces.

I probably get most of my news etc. from Pprune though.

BA_Baracus
21st Feb 2008, 16:34
I'm wondering if the old joke.....

"What's the difference between a BA 747 captain and 99% of other pilots? The BA captain will read Flight International from the front first!"

.....isn't so true given todays results!

www.flightglobal.com