PDA

View Full Version : Can't crack Gen Nav

captainyonder
19th Feb 2008, 20:31
Help! I have my ATPL Gen Nav exam in two weeks time and no matter how hard I try I cannot get the calculations aspects sussed. I am getting 80-90% on the Bristol Question Bank, but that's because I've done it some many times on that I know it by heart! Realistically, if I go into the exam as I am now, will I fail or do I have a chance going on my results from the QB?

virginpilot1087
19th Feb 2008, 20:43
What Exacly are you struggleing with??? I had a hard time at fisrt with it, I got 84% in it and have since taught two people gen nav on the side and they both got higer marks than me, I am not a wizard on the subject but will help if I can, PM me any stuff you are unclear about and if I can help I will.

Mercenary Pilot
19th Feb 2008, 20:52
Buy the "Ground Studies for Pilots" book by Underdown & Palmer....very good IMO (as are the rest in the series). :ok:

rockstar01
19th Feb 2008, 20:56
You could try another online question bank, jaaquestions.org is free to access. That way you'd know if your up to scratch, as opposed to having memorized all the answers.

MIKECR
19th Feb 2008, 21:30
I wouldnt rely on the Bristol QB for the Gnav exam. You'll find the CAA very cunningly manage to manipluate the questions to such a degree that you'll most certainly pick the wrong answer(the answer you probably recognise and the answer they want you to pick!!). Just make sure you can use your whizzwheel and use it quickly. You'll make up lots of time if you can.

PAPI-74
19th Feb 2008, 21:52
Cranfield Aviation Training School will do a one-to-one with you.
Stuart is the GNAV Jedi Master.

BIG MISTER
19th Feb 2008, 22:29
I was just the same - Gen Nav was a real problem !

I fixed the problem with the Gen Nav book from these people. Loads of questions with worked answers...or as some would say....step by step idiots guild !

Anyway lots of practise later and the exam was in the bag and I toasted the purchase of this little book.

Hope it works for you - GOOD LUCK !!!!

http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=772

PS another tip for the Gen Nav + Other exams is ear plugs. Yep I know it sounds odd but when your in that exam room and all you can hear is the sound of maps & charts being folded / unfolded when your not on that question yet.....very off putting and you need to focus on your table 100% ! :ok:

jessie05
19th Feb 2008, 23:03
captain

mikecr is right , and the caa will try and move just one word or number to trick you.

as you only have 2 weeks to go i would really concentrate on the BGS data bank though as your likely to really confuse yourself if you start reading a new book at this stage.

i thought that i would have a big problem with this test but i was quite pleased with what came out and passed with a good mark. I put this good fortune to one method that got me through all of the exams and that was to open the first page and answer very quickly only the questions that i was absolutely 100% positive i knew the answer too. If it was only 1 out of 7 then i would swiftly move to page 2 etc. Anything with lots of wording and calculations was ignored until the last page. Then i would have spent little time getting surefire marks and then concentrate on the nasty ones with the hindsight of plenty of time left. This system enabled me to really think hard about the toughies and make an educated guess by process of elimination.

A word of warning : make sure that you are really accurate when you fill in the exam sheet otherwise youll end up putting the right answer with the wrong question !!

good luck to you, sure it will be ok.

jess

acuba 290
19th Feb 2008, 23:10
and what about Oxford book "Navigation" Vol.10? i ordered that one...is it not so good?

Lord Zeberdee
20th Feb 2008, 06:56
Big Mister has a very valid point about earplugs.

I had some character in my general nav exam who was obviously trying to make an entry into the guinness book of world records in the 'loudest operation of calculator buttons' section. The noise was distracting me and I was sat two places away from him, makes you wonder about a/c handling skills if thats how the feller uses a calc!!!!

General Nav is a bitch, my advice would be to do more studying to supplement what you have already done, sometimes a bit of personal tuition in addition to the qb and brush up stuff can make all the difference......

Sounds like you just need to put the icing on the cake, dont get too hung up about it, I suspect the schools would be in a position to organise personal tuition for you should you require it

Best of luck

JB007
20th Feb 2008, 09:08
Let us know what bit's you're having an issue with, loads of knowledge scattered around these here boards...might just help...