PDA

View Full Version : IMC and or IR

Lost in Cloud
19th Feb 2008, 15:28
Hi All

I would like your advice. I plan to work up to my CPL/IR (and hopefully beyond that with ATPL). I am looking at what courses I rerquire. The IMC course sounds very useful but if I plan to do my IR course is the IMC course worthwhile? Any thoughts?

Also regarding the IR. Is it done on single or multi engine? Which is the best to do, given that I want to fly commercially? I suspect multi but am not sure.

Thanks

nick14
19th Feb 2008, 15:52
Considering the IMC is a UK only rating i doubt you will get any hours off your IR, but any instrument training you get before doing your IR is a huge benefit, even learning how to fly straight level and perform rate one turns will help.

If you are looking for the cheaper option then I would suggest getting maybe 5 hours instrument time with a decent school and let them know that you intend to go on for the IR.

This way you get some IFT and save money by not flying all the IMC hours and sending off more money to the CAA for the rating to be added to your licence.

Most importantly, keep current and make sure you fly withing IR limits:+50/-0 feet on alititudes, +/-5deg on headings and tracking i believe.

Hope this helps
Nick

tom_ace
19th Feb 2008, 16:19
yeah, if you have got the cash i would highly recommend it; gives you a head start on those nightmarish ndb holds for one...

CAT3C AUTOLAND
19th Feb 2008, 16:36
Most people go straight into their instrument rating, and even though it is hard work, it is managable. If money is tight, then I wouldn't bother doing an IMC rating.

Also remember, you have to do 10 hours flying on instruments on your CPL course. This is only general handling, no approaches, but it gets the scan going and gives you a flavour of what it is all about. There is also a NDB and VOR tracking section aswell.

You are right that you need a multi engine IR to be considered by the airlines if you wish to pursue a career as a professional pilot.

Once you have your IR, you won't be lost in cloud anymore, and you will need to think of a new name for PPRUNE ;).

All the best with your training.

Hufty
19th Feb 2008, 16:42
I agree with Nick - you won't be able to get any reduction on hours by doing the IMC (AFIAK) so you may as well just do a bit in a (cheaper) PPL environment then launch into the IR when you have got a grip of the basics.

Don't underestimate the benefits of procedural trainers etc. (even MS Flightsim) and you can spend a lot of time for free getting the hang of the mechanics of holds, procedures etc. You'll need to do it on a multi.

I did it the Bristol way - multi training, IR course, multi test, IR test in that order. That worked well for me and maximised the amount of ME flying prior to the tests(s). I had an IMC before going into the multi and IR but hadn't flown on instruments for over 13 years so I don't think it really helped me. I was also using new stuff I hadn't seeen before - I did my IMC on aeroplanes with RBIs so the RMI was new to me.

no sponsor
19th Feb 2008, 16:43
I did an IMC before my IR and I think it helped, since I already knew how to scan properly. I effectively jumped the first few hrs of the IR, which meant I had more time on the difficult stuff.

However, only do an IMC rating with someone who has an IR themselves and has spent considerable time flying piston IR. If you are taught badly, then you will spend the first part of the IR being un-taught lots of bad habits.

phillpot
19th Feb 2008, 17:03
I agree with the previous posts, save your money its just another rating to keep current and you do risk picking up bad habits which you will have to un learn.
Flight sim or even Rant are great for learning the theory and procedures but again I would wait untill you start the IR so that you know you are doing it all correctly.
Good luck with all the training.

tom_ace
19th Feb 2008, 18:17
i was lucky, my IMC instructor was an ex raf navigator..'you're 20ft low, boy!'