PDA

View Full Version : Thomson longhaul

Put1992
19th Feb 2008, 15:28
Could somebody give me a quick review of it?

Oh, and some details about legroom for someone 6.15"

Thanks

BAFQTV
19th Feb 2008, 17:37
Best advice is to book ahead and fly with BA/ LH/ Virgin. Much better proposition and quite often cheaper too.

TightSlot
19th Feb 2008, 18:42
Please take a look HERE (http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/press-centre/33-legroom.html) where there is some detailed information from the airline: As I work for them I cannot comment further - except to say that the advice from BAFQTV in the last post is both curious (Lufthansa don't fly on many of the same routes as VS, BA & TOM) and somewhat generic i.e. the same comment could be true of any combination of airlines and in the absence of facts, is subjective.

There will be people here that both love and hate TOM - and research on other web sites will reveal the same. Good Luck.

MacBoero
19th Feb 2008, 18:51
I have flown with Thomson Fly to Natal and back from Gatwick. I have to say for economy class, it has one of the more comfortable. I haven't flown BA for years, so can't compare with current levels of economy comfort, but I did fly Etihad to Thailand last year, and to be honest despite the supposed in seat entertainment, Thomson was better for comfort, because on none of the Etihad flights did the entertainment system work properly for more than a few minutes at a time. The seating was closer in pitch on Etihad too. The major downer with Thomson is that unless you purchase it at the time of booking, you don't the in-flight meals. You can buy sandwiches and such, like on Easyjet, but you have to suffer being surrounded by people eating their hot meals.

10secondsurvey
20th Feb 2008, 06:25
If you are over six foot, I would strongly recommend you get either extra legroom seats, or premium seats, which can be pre booked.

Some of the Thomson long haul jets provide a better seat pitch than either virgin or BA in economy. I'd really suggest you look at extra legroom, as ALL airlines really cram the seats in in economy, and usually charters are worse. This is especially important for longhaul.

Don't say you've not been warned!

Skintman
20th Feb 2008, 12:02
BAFQVT

You are not correct and are perpetuating a myth. :=

Many of the Charter Companies now offer better legroom than the Schedule flyers (usually 31"). First Choice set the pace in 2006 with 33" pitch in economy and 38" in Premium Econ for all longhaul flights. :D

Thomson and many others are doing catch up. As I understand it currently, but stand to be corrected,Thomson are converting all their longhaul to 33". We flew to Jamiaca econ with TOM in Nov 07 and the plane had not been upgraded, but were told that most had been done.:ok:

If you think Charter is a weaker product the Schedule, then you have not flown with some of the Charter carriers recently. The Scheduled flyers are going to have to up their game or lose out. So if it's legroom in longhaul your after, fly Charter. Also not much extra cost for exit seats etc.

Skintman

geriatrix
20th Feb 2008, 19:12
Having flown Thomsonfly to Montego Bay recently, I was pleasantly surprised. Leather seats a tad narrow, good legroom, very edible food.

Having asked at check-in for seats "towards the rear", I was dismayed to find we had the pair of seats right at the back, that didn't recline. Fortunately the loos are in the middle of the aircraft, and even more fortunately the folks in front didn't recline their seats much.

On the return leg we had been assigned the same pair of seats, but to my surprise one of the cabin attendants, without any prompting from me, volunteered to find us a couple of better seats, and did so.

I was most impressed, and I had been dreading the expected cramped charter flight conditions. The experience was rather better than my last couple of scheduled longhaul flights.