PDA

View Full Version : Lanseria or Rand for SEP hire?

ShineOn
19th Feb 2008, 13:15
Hi all,
Which airport would you recommend to hire a light single from...I understand Lanseria is more commercial and Rand more GA friendly, so at this moment leaning towards Rand. Apparantly theres 14 or so clubs there aswell!? Anyone have experience with both?

Regards,
ShineOn

alpha-b
20th Feb 2008, 20:28
i would suggest u go 4 Rand as there are more flying schools and besides Lanseria is more charter and corporate oriented sometimes when the traffic gets really hectic u can remain on the ground 4 a while,Rand is more convenient 4 lights aeroplanes.Regards

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Feb 2008, 03:49
Wonderboom and Grand Central are also close by and have a number of schools based there. Depends what you have in mind and where you want to go I guess.

Huner
21st Feb 2008, 12:06
Hi folks
I'm also looking for a reliable plane to hire regulary.
PA30,34,BE30,55,58 - C210 M20
Anywhere in JNB
If anyone has good contacts please let me know :ok:
U can email me through this site.
ShineOn what did u find out?

whiskeyflyer
22nd Feb 2008, 07:59
I have had aircraft based at Rand and Lanseria
Lanseria can be amazing quiet on weekends (often came in as no.1 on approach on a saturday afternoon) but also had the experience of landing on 06R with a GV on my left and a helicopter passing over and me in my little aerie. Your skills at coping with heavy traffic improves. Down side is long taxi time and you may spend time waiting clearance for take off (and if you paying by the hour thats a problem)

Rand can be very busy on weekends but the tower is good at clearing the traffic. Circuits in Rand I find are busier than Lanseria. Taxi time is short

But the Havard cafe is definitely the best airport restuarant around with a good vibe, so good excuse to base aircraft elsewhere just for the excuse of flying to Rand for Sunday breakfast (or you could just taxi up to the fence from your hangar and pretend you a real pilot for the breakfast people, for less money :E)

Click on the following links of AVCOM for private fliers in RSA. Good source for finding aircraft etc

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=630eb791069a064c8f8a46f946c70e5a
&
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=630eb791069a064c8f8a46f946c70e5a

Mikehotel152
23rd Feb 2008, 12:48
The other day I spent 30 minutes in a C172 at the 06 run-up bay waiting for IFR flights to get clearance from Jo'burg Radar so they could get out my way! Very tiresome. :zzz: