PDA

View Full Version : cruise trim or attitude.

aussiepax
19th Feb 2008, 08:13
Once an aircraft is steady at cruise altitude, is it trimmed to a level attitude, or is it slightly nose up please? If so how many degrees ?

PAXboy
19th Feb 2008, 08:37
Sometimes level, sometimes nose up, it depends upon the type of aircraft.

aussiepax
19th Feb 2008, 08:38
well, say a 744 or a 777-300ER, are we talking 3 or 8 degrees??

TopSwiss 737
19th Feb 2008, 12:36
About 2-2.5 degrees pitch up (nose pointing slightly above horizontal) in cruise.

Cheers, TS

UniFoxOs
19th Feb 2008, 14:27
A few times recently I am sure I have felt that the a/c I was in was flying tilted - i.e. with a very small degree of roll. I have noticed this on a small airbus, a 737 and a large airbus. I am sure it isn't just me, as other a/c seem level. As normally a roll effects a turn, and presumably the a/c was not turning then it doesn't seem possible. Am I imagining this?

UFO

Georgeablelovehowindia
19th Feb 2008, 16:11
UFO: It's known to pilots as 'The Leans'. The vestibular apparatus in your inner ear is sending out false signals. Pilots know to trust their instruments and disregard this impression, which, as you have discovered, can be quite powerful. Indeed it's one of the first things that is demonstrated when learning to fly on instruments.

Contacttower
19th Feb 2008, 19:40
Indeed, the leaning is probably imagined. One's metal sense of balance in terms of pitch/roll is very easily mislead when flying.

Regarding pitch and trim; with the exception of the HS 146/Avro Regional Jet which I believe tends to sit more nose down (compare nose attitude of one on approach with a 737 to see the difference) than other jets almost all large jet transports fly several degrees up. The trim of the aircraft changes all the time...something as minor as someone walking from one end of the plane to the other can alter it.

aussiepax
20th Feb 2008, 08:10
thank you guys !