PDA

View Full Version : How important is education?

JackB87
19th Feb 2008, 03:41
Hey guys, nice to be here.

Just looking round this forum, it seems education pops up a lot concerning peoples chances of getting a job. I need some guidance, basically. I've been offered a place at university due to my earlier qualifications, but it isn't something I've ever been interested in doing. I don't like the idea of spending 3 years doing something I dislike, but if it is going to help my prospects as a future pilot, it may be a nessecity.

I also doubt I will be able to fund a full time course at university and pilot training, so from a financial viewpoint, it is probably one or the other. I'm only just 20, so I could start training in 3 or so years, but being flying is everything to me, and I want to do it as soon possible.

So how important is education in terms of finding a job when fully qualified as a pilot?

Are there any guys on here without a full formal education who hope to be a pilot? Or even someone who was in my boat, but is now fulfilling their dreams?

Thanks a lot for any help :ok:

nick14
19th Feb 2008, 04:16
yes,

Im 20, currently on the OAA APP program, no uni degree just a levels.

The reason being that i cudnt afford both.

IF ure worried about a degree then do the part time foundation degree along with the APP course at OAA, they have just opened it up so go check it out.

there are two of us who dont have degrees on the course, BA have been known to take some guys without degrees/ younger guys but having the degree helps.

my 2 pence worth
nick

jacdaniels123
19th Feb 2008, 10:07
Hey
Theres always the University air squadron to join for free and some Universitys do courses where you can get an ATPL licence while studying the course e.g. Shefield and Liverpool, it does cost but it works out cheaper than going through a Flying school.

abs_kols
20th Feb 2008, 01:12
yeah same here am 19 startin my atpl course soon. decided not to spend 3 years on a degree. to be honest all the airlines care about is experience/maturity. to us young guys i guess its just how you put yourself out there not a degree that should matter.

nick14
20th Feb 2008, 02:22
abs,

i dont believe that you are correct in ure statement when you say the airlines dont care about degrees. Any qualification is a bonus, espacially a 3 year degree course. It shows commitment, intelligence and maturity.

Its not the be all and end all by any cost but it would most certainly help.

Yes maturity and flying skills are much higher on the list.

nick

docash1983
20th Feb 2008, 10:58
Hi JackB87

As has been stated above there are pro’s and con’s to going to University. The reason I went was for back up, yes it’s true that you don’t need a degree, I know of some guys only having GCSE’s. However, in some cases where you can’t afford both, you may want to ask yourself whether you can afford training at one of the establishments in the UK offering an APP course at £65k?

Unfortunately, nor I or my parents can afford to help me in this respect (and that is not a dig at anybodies parents who can) therefore I was realistically presented with two options, Uni or low paid office job. So I have gone to University done LLB Law, going to Law school in September for which I have arranged a £16k loan, however in the mean time I am keeping my very limited options open, whereby in June I am taking my aptitude tests for CTC. Why, CTC offer underwriting of half the loan, and its the only way im going to get on an APP course. However if that fails it’s off to law school, practise as a solicitor until I can get enough money saved to pay for myself.

Going to University was the only way in which I could see myself getting a high enough paid job in order to get to the RHS, if CTC do not let me in. Undoubtedly their will be differing views, and believe me the route I am taking is REALLY NOT something I want to embark on, all I want is to finish Uni and get into training but finances are limited, and I feel I have little choice. What I am saying is you and you alone need to decide whether Uni is for you or whether you have the cash to get you on an APP course or do it modularly, it all depends on what you are happy with. I would not have changed what I have done despite what I have said above, truly because I know that I now have some chance of getting a job to pay back the massive loan if the industry ever goes South, I can’t find a job or even worse loose my medical.

Best of Luck JackB87

Docash1983

abs_kols
20th Feb 2008, 19:20
hi guys

nick yeah your right that it does have value to show our characteristics but like ^ its about a choice with all factors taken into account. I also know that regardless of degree pilots do find jobs even if on a contract basis to gain experience and move on. a backup plan is safe but consider the time it wastes to truly doing what you want. after all we don't live forever. but then again both sides of the argument are valid and its down to the persons circumstances and his enthusiasm.

abs