PDA

View Full Version : need entry level advice

yyjflyer
18th Feb 2008, 23:23
To any fellow Canadians currently flying in the bush in Africa, and anyone else who'd care to chime in:
looking for ideas on which operators in Africa to bug as an entry level (300 hour commercially rated) pilot looking for that first job. I'm at that decision stage, have a job offer to instruct here in Canada at the local flying club where I did my training, or to explore the bush for some real adventure. Have just come back from backpacking in SA, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda and loved it. Gets in the blood. Flew on Moremi Air out of Maun into the delta on 206's and loved that even more. ANY info much appreciated. Cheers

Gooneybird
19th Feb 2008, 06:54
Which operator? All of them.
Go backpacking again but , this time with your cv in hand. They are very unlikely to hire you without you actually being there but you stand a good chance if you're there in person. In the current market though I'd be tempted to stay in Canada and build more time myself.

Africrash
20th Feb 2008, 18:00
Hi

If you want to try Tanzania, pack up the back pack and come on out, most companies are recruiting, you can expect about 800 to 1000 hours a year on a 206 entry level job, companies prefer to see you face to face before offering a job.

Try Dar es Salaam or Arusha for jobs, lots of small plane operators.

Best

Crash

flybyshark
21st Feb 2008, 07:58
Maun is short of pilots this season, spoke a mate out there yesterday. This was the prime time to be in Africa to get a job in those types of operations but later in the year can be just as good if not better. Its good odds if you go now but if you cant, try August/September in the busy period as Pilots tend to leave after the busy season too.

dnk
21st Feb 2008, 16:10
I can confirm Maun is aching for pilots - theres loads of jobs going there at the moment.
When were you there? You were on holiday? Did you mention to Moremi that you were a pilot and looking?

DA42
21st Feb 2008, 20:04
Does anyone know anything about Sefofane? I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm sitting at around 380 hours and should have around 700 by the end of this drop season in Canada. Africa is something that has been on my mind for quite some time.

Thanks

Gooneybird
21st Feb 2008, 21:42
Does anyone know anything about Sefofane
They run a pretty good bush operation. Bases in Maun, Namibia and Zambia I believe. Entry level work so usually looking for crew. You have to go there in person but it's worth firing your cv off ahead of your arrival.

I can confirm Maun is aching for pilots
Good. There used to be ques of hopefuls there being generally taken for granted. I'm happy for the pilots and hope this teaches a salutary lesson in manners to the operators.

DA42
21st Feb 2008, 22:10
Thank You.

Can you have a say in where you fly? ie. Botswana or Namibia. I'd be looking at going for a couple years and would be more than happy flying a 206 in Maun.

Gooneybird
22nd Feb 2008, 07:20
Do you need a special permit to work in Africa?

Don't they have a type of VISA for that??
The company will arrange your work visa as appropriate.

Can you have a say in where you fly? ie. Botswana or Namibia. I'd be looking at going for a couple years and would be more than happy flying a 206 in Maun.

I don't work for them but, no people who do and therefore passed an opinion which is that they're a good operation. If you do a search for Maun you'll get a lot of information there. There are several companies in Maun, Namimbia, Zambia,Tanzania and Malawi to a much lesser extent. A couple of years is a good target for you and them so yeah, give Sefos a try.

flybyshark
22nd Feb 2008, 09:58
Sefofane's policy on Bonding for the 206 is extortionate but if you plan to stay for 2 years then it should work out ok as they pay better and you can save up, just watch out for them pushing you onto the C208 with a Mountain of a Bond compared to the 206 Molehill.
They are a good outfit but do have strange ethics concerning contracts and certainly if you leave dont expect a cheery handshake even if you have fulfilled your obligations.

Gooneybird
22nd Feb 2008, 12:20
Is there an echo in here?
Lol. Double post. I blame slow internet but could be slow brain :}

Sefofane's policy on Bonding for the 206 is extortionate
Not to mention ridiculous. How much is the bond dude?

V1... Ooops
22nd Feb 2008, 15:46
YYJ Flyer:

I live in Sidney, and have been active in African Aviation for about 20 years. I'm actually on my way back to YYJ now from Africa - will arrive Sunday. Send me an instant message (private message) with your phone number and we can get together for a coffee.

Michael

onwings
22nd Feb 2008, 22:53
I would like to know please, how many people do BHN sponsor for ab-initio training yearly and wats the pay like?:)Thanks

DA42
23rd Feb 2008, 04:16
Hey thanks for all the info guys. Big help. With regards to Sefofane (and Botswana in general) again and the 206 bond... How much is it and is the way they bond you a little different than some operators here in Canada?
Do all the operators bond as well?
It's just a little difficult to comprehend a 206 bond. I can understand a 208 bond for maybe a year, but not so much for a 206.

Thanks.

Africrash
23rd Feb 2008, 06:06
Hi

Most operators will ask you for some form of bond for any type as they will have to sponsor you for the license conversion, type rating as this is usually needed for every type flown commercially and for route training. The only exception to this would be if you had already got the local license and time on the type you will fly.

Not really a problem as the bond is not huge if you get an offer too good to refuse, but as many westerners have come out, done training which has cost the company money and then promptly disappeared the employers are getting a bit more carefull about bonding people.

Best

Crash

Gooneybird
23rd Feb 2008, 07:45
Well I would suppose that the way to keep pilots is to give them incentives to stay rather than not to leave however:

Since many low hour pilots have limited funds they need to know how much the bond is so they can plan for it. So what is Sefofane's bond? How much, if anything do the other companies charge?

Lammers
23rd Feb 2008, 08:12
The last time I spoke to someone from Sefofane they where bonding guys 40-50 thousand Pula witch comes to more or less $10 000 not to sure on the exchange rate thats for 2 years or 18 months and then the bonds not pro rata!

Cheers

mkenya
23rd Feb 2008, 09:03
That seems like a lot of money for me seeing that Kq bonds their cadets for just above double that and they train you from scratch till you can fly a jet.
Whats the general figure they pay by the way?
And its hasn't escaped my notice that the value of the pula has been going down in the last few years too

DA42
23rd Feb 2008, 13:42
Thanks for the info guys! 40-50 Pula works out to around $7800 CDN/USD. I can definitely understand why they do it with the sponsorship and license conversion, but I guess it'll take some getting used too especially since in Canada most places don't bond you for almost any Turbo Prop let alone a 206.

Thanks again.

P.S. Does anyone have any insight in to what Sefofane and other operators pay and what type of housing is available when in Botswana and Namibia?

Gooneybird
23rd Feb 2008, 14:40
I disagree. In fact with that bond I feel they should be boycotted. There's lots of places that won't bond you even if you do have to pay your own rating. Go to Tanzania for example.

Sefofane need to be starved of pilots if that's their attitude. Of course it'll never happen but hey:ugh:

DA42
23rd Feb 2008, 14:51
Gooneybird,

Are there as many opportunities in Tanzania for entry level stuff?

mkenya
23rd Feb 2008, 16:50
Also came across proflight Zambia website and they seem to be looking for pilots too. They got a downloadable application form on their website and some link for pilots wishing to fly for Zambia too. Their fleet looks good too. Maybe you can google them.
Thats all I know for now. Anyone with information could enlighten more.
Am also not sure if they take low time pilots.

Gooneybird
23rd Feb 2008, 17:09
I believe there is but do a quick search of this forum because the topic has been well covered recently and there are lots of guys who would know better than me about that. Maun is still a good starting point but just not with that insane bond. I'm sure not all companies in Maun can be doing that and hopefully someone will verify or deny this.

For Tanzania, most of the charter operations are either in Dar es Salaam and Arusha, Coastal Aviation for example. There are many operators and good potential for twin time.

Best of luck.

DA42
23rd Feb 2008, 19:04
Hey,

One more general question. I recently heard someone mention Mack Air in Maun. Any info on this oufit? Do they hire lower time guys?

Thanks Again!

Gooneybird
23rd Feb 2008, 22:53
Mack Air.

Arguably the best of the operators/ except maybe for Safari Air in terms of treatment of pilots, at least the last time I was there. Still the same arrogant treatment of would be pilots and non committal, keep people hanging around waiting rubbish that all the other operators have but once/if hired basically decent guys.

Yes, they hire low time guys. You have to go there to get a job. This is a warning to every newbie. Don't wait around longer than two weeks for a definite answer. After that, there's plenty more operators in other regions.

DA42
24th Feb 2008, 01:18
Thanks again Gooneybird.

I definitely plan on heading to Maun sometime in the near future. Is there a particular time of year that I should go? looking for a job? And with Mack Air (or any operators) is there a reasonable chance to move up to a caravan after a couple of years?

Thanks,

Africrash
24th Feb 2008, 09:02
Hi

Lots of entry level opertunities in Tanzania right now, straight off I can think of about 6 companies looking for pilots for the C206. they will mostly ask you for a 2 year commitment to justify the cost of work permits, license conversion and type training, most have the option to progress to either the Caravan or a tein piston type as well.

If you try Tanzania, the main operators are in Dar es Salaam and Arusha with a couple in Mwanza as well.

Peak season is from June to october, quieter then untill April and April/May are pretty dead, so the sooner you get here the better the chance of finding something, once high season starts most companies are too busy for training

Best

Crash

Lammers
24th Feb 2008, 12:34
Proflight is a good option you might not make allot of money but thats the case everywhere with entry level jobs! If you looking for twin time they are the way to go you will fly like you have never flown before that means good hours! And yes they do take fresh coms!

The Bond
A bond is good in the way that they protect themselfs from loosing money or the money they spent in training you! But please make it pro rata, thats fare! After all they are mere a steppingstone for pilots so we can move on to the next one!

Happy days!

P.S I am looking for a job on a Caravan or any turbine? Any rumors?

mkenya
24th Feb 2008, 18:31
Lammers. why don't you try proflight. seems to me they got caravans too. Or you want to make some good money? How much do they pay by the way?
I am sure in Tanzania they'll be so glad to take you. and if it were possible to get a work permit in kenya, there are so many caravans and they pay well too.
Anyway. All the best in your endeavour

chileno 777
25th Feb 2008, 13:49
Whats the general figure they pay by the way?

Does anyone have any insight in to what Sefofane and other operators pay

Could someone pls answer those questions?

Gooneybird
25th Feb 2008, 14:17
Somewhere between $1000 and $2000 per month. Packages differ as to whether housing is provided or not. Between 4 and 8 weeks leave a year. Last time I checked.

yyjflyer
26th Feb 2008, 00:25
Thanks to all for responses. Am wondering if it's advantageous to head to Maun with an IR or if simply CPL with some 206 time here in Canada would suffice?

Heliringer
26th Feb 2008, 04:38
What about Helicopter operators in Botswana? Does anyone know if there are any jobs around? Okavango is all I can find but no webpage.
I would like a change of scenery from Australia.
Thanks for any tips/leads
Cheers
Ringer

mkenya
26th Feb 2008, 05:59
Am told they are dying for helicopter pilots in Naija. For the oil rigs probably. and most likely you'll end up in the notorious Niger delta. But then you'll be in the air.
Got no more details though

chileno 777
26th Feb 2008, 11:03
Sonair in Angola is also looking quite desperately for helicopter pilots (Off shore operations. Experienced and llocals ow time guys).

mkenya
26th Feb 2008, 12:54
Is any company in Angola also looking at hiring fixed wing pilots?
And when is fly540 taking flight in that country again?

chileno 777
27th Feb 2008, 09:31
Is any company in Angola also looking at hiring fixed wing pilots?
And when is fly540 taking flight in that country again?

Currently there is a shortage of pilots in Angola. Most of companies are hiring:
TAAG: only nationals but process at the moment is stopped due to EU ban.
Sonair: hiring experienced expats.
Air26: hiring captains and low time F/O..locals and expats for EMB 120s.
There are a couple of small charter operators like Airjet, Aerojet, hiring expats as well but could not tell regarding their mins...
Air Gemini is hiring but do not recommend this company...currently is undergoing a crisis due to bad management.
Angola Air Services: hiring experienced expats.

F/O salaries starting on +-3500 usd net.

fly540 is expected to start this year flying ATRs...

mkenya
27th Feb 2008, 09:58
Thats great. I guess with the entrance of fly 540 and the boom in the oil industry the openings will soon be there even for entry level pilots.
Anyone has info on the Democratic republic of Congo Or any Central african republic? esp Gabon?
Happy landings

flybyshark
29th Feb 2008, 11:38
C206 Bond for 18 months contract is 50,000 pula! Then onto Caravan for another 40,000 pula 18 months contract again, BUT if you are offered/put onto Caravan before initial 18 months are up on the C206 the bond is added on, a mighty 90,000 Pula.

I am bonded for less on my current jet ride!

DA42
29th Feb 2008, 13:57
flybyshark,

for which companies are those bonds for?

thanks

flybyshark
29th Feb 2008, 14:12
Sefofane Bots

mkenya
29th Feb 2008, 14:35
90 thousand for a caravan? Thats bloody high considering the rating costs under 20 thousand rands.
I agree, if there was an option these guys should be boycotted.
Do I have to sign the bond if already rated on the afore said aircrafts too?