PDA

View Full Version : Choosing USA or CANADA?!?

Ste88
18th Feb 2008, 19:34
Hello at All!!

I'm going to post here a question to help me in this choose. Where I can start my pilot career.

USA, texas at skymates or
Canada at Proifr
The true problem is after the training because work as CFI in USA is more difficult than the same thing in Canada. And during the training i could work and it is very important for me because my budget is not very big(like 50k€).
Since I hope to stay there after the training before came back in Italy a few time, like 4 or 5 years. So I know that is more difficult to obtain a green card or became a citizen in USA....while in Canada is quite easy to obtain the citizen...

What do u think about!??!

So...
USA or CANADA?

Thanks!!!

Ste88
19th Feb 2008, 12:44
So?

Someone who write down his opinion please...
it's a very difficult choose...

preduk
19th Feb 2008, 12:59
Personally... I would say Canada... but I have a love for Canada :P

Canada has a strong economy at the moment in terms of currency, it's pretty cheap to live there, it's easier to get a VISA/Citizenship there and they aren't as defensive as the US in terms of background checks etc

FougaMagister
19th Feb 2008, 13:08
Buon giorno Ste88

I think you have answered your own question. Having experience of training both in the US (before 9/11) and Canada, I would rather recommend the latter for the reasons you mention. I also love Canada, and you'll find people there very welcoming to foreigners. Also, some European guys I know who trained in Canada do not seem to have had too much trouble finding employment afterwards, either as FIs or in air taxi/air ambulance ops. Plus the country is awesome! :ok:

Ciao! :cool:

dartagnan
19th Feb 2008, 17:26
been trained in USA and Europe, and If I have to redo it again, i would do it in Canada and maybe later in the USA if you need a FAA license.

Immigration, work permit, and job opportunities are better/easier than in the USA.

and cold+ice is a real good experience in canada than in nice/hot texas.

rockstar01
19th Feb 2008, 20:51
Personally I would go the US/FAA route. The US dollar is really weak right now, you'll probably find that it wont cost as much as you think. Also housing and food is cheaper in the US.

If you train in California, Florida or Arizona you'll be guaranteed to get the most flying weather from your stay in the US. Something thats often forgotten by prospective students.

Personally I would:-

1) Complete FAA PPL, Anglo American in Cali or Naples Air Center in FL. Both are authorized to issue M1 student visas..
2) Complete FAA Instrument Rating, this will help lots in understanding the ATPL groundschool.
3) Complete JAA ATPL ground school, as far as I know the only school doing this outside the UK is Naples Air Center in FL. Bristol distance learning is reputable..
4) Complete JAA Commercial License, theres a number of JAA examiners working in the USA right now.
5) Convert FAA Instrument rating to the JAA in the UK.

This will gain you a JAA frozen ATPL. As for working in the USA, forget it without a J1 visa or green card!

Ste88
20th Feb 2008, 11:35
Well

At the end I think that i will in canada to do my training, i prefer it...But now i have to decide which school choose to do it.
I'm looking for it so I have found those:
-Proifr, vancuover
-Mocton flight college, Moncton

it is not very much i know, so i ask you to help me with your knowledge and advice....

I hear around that for the weather condition is better Vancuver than mocton...isn't it?

Write me as soon as possible

Ste88
22nd Feb 2008, 07:03
Someone could give me any advice!?

Thanks!

Big Ru Ru
22nd Feb 2008, 14:40
Your best bet is Vancouver since their weather is quite favourable, compared to Moncton. This will shorten you training period since at the end of the day (depending on how much time you have on your hands) you need to complete your training in as little time as possible.:ok:

On the other hand, if you want to log some serious hours you can always apply for a J1-Visa in the Unite States and hit the southern states (Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc.) :)

Ste88
22nd Feb 2008, 14:58
Hello!!

just a question...
what's the meaning of "to log some serious hours"???

preduk
22nd Feb 2008, 15:06
I think he means, a lot of hours. In those areas the weather is fantastic, so you would be able to get loads and loads done.

Ste88
22nd Feb 2008, 15:24
yes..I understand but i question is on the training...I think at USA after this!!I think is it better!

Ste88
26th Feb 2008, 07:10
Hello!!

So guys?some advice of choosing a canadian flying school?

I found Proifr and MFC....I think that it's better ProIfr but..i don't know...what do you think about?

FougaMagister
26th Feb 2008, 08:55
One advantage of Moncton Flight College is that you could train there under JAA - as opposed to doing a Transport Canada licence, then having to convert to JAA later on (do not underestimate the cost and/or hassle of converting to JAA in some European countries).

http://www.mfc.nb.ca/euro.php

Cheers :cool:

WMB
26th Feb 2008, 09:39
I have been to both, OFT and MFC, and would have to say that i prefer MFC for several reasons. The weather is more like European weather, there is a more structured training enviroment, the ATC is more like Europe, the airport is fully controlled, which promotes good RT disipline. The somewhat remote location encourages thouough flight planning, no one wants to end up as a bear snack after a forced landing. True, there were some problems with the JAA side in the past, I had first hand experience of that, but now they have a new CFI and have made a real effort to address the problems. The disadvantages are that it will take longer to complete your CPL, mainly due to weather. Prices are more expensive, with the falling US dollar, Canadian prices are usually more expensive. Flights to Moncton are a bit more expensive, as you will have to get a connecting flight, from either New York or Toronto. Once you get there living expenses are similar to the US, but not too bad.
Orlando Flight Training, is on the other hand is a reasonable place, if you motivate yourself, and have some common sense you will get on well. Must admit, had a very good instructor there, a young Scandinavian called Stan, if you could not pass your CPL under his instruction GIVE UP NOW!! The weather in Orlando is very good nearly all year, but a little too hot for me!:ok:

Ste88
26th Feb 2008, 10:11
Hi!

Thank you for your advice!!
I htink that when i can I leave to Canada to live there like 4 o 5 years to increase my flying experience...At the beginning I will do a professional pilot programm till cpl ir me e than I will do a CFI(at proifr, vancuver) license to find a job place like instructor...to increase my flight hours..when I could I convert my license into JAA and take the atpl to find a pilot employment in Italy..or...maybe it's better in EU! :D

and you??what do you think about my ideas?

WMB
26th Feb 2008, 12:30
If you want I can out you in contact with MFC, you can do the JAA course, then if you are good enough, return as an instructor on a student visa for a few years. Good Luck!

arsenal69
26th Feb 2008, 13:08
I did my training with Pilot Recruitment International at Algonquin.

Found them excellent but the course was 65K - FAA & TC license but it was all inclusive. I stayed on as a flight instructor in yr2 and they got me a placement in Africa.

Check them www.priacademy.com (http://www.priacademy.com)

Ste88
26th Feb 2008, 13:32
Hi!
I would very happy to do it...but the JAA course at MFC is quite expansive (like75k€ plus housing and meals)for me...So I have to do the canadian training...

ivierre
27th Feb 2008, 03:09
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to get a job as a flight instrustor, or as an air charter pilot, while not holding a canadian passport? Difficult to get a work permit etc?

BRS_flyer
27th Feb 2008, 08:51
I imagine most Canadian employers will not be able to employ without either citizenship or a permenent residents card. However the permenent residents status is not to difficult to obtain (compared to the US anyway) although you do need a minimum of a year in a skilled profession, more information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

One thing to consider when talking about US vs Canada training is that FAA certificates are quite easily converted to the equivilent TC certificates. I believe it involves a medical and some conversion questions, but AFAIK it takes about 90 days to process. So if you intend to work in Canada and you still want to take advantage of a weak dollar and good wx in the US then it may be something to look into. FAA certs are always good to have, particually as unlike their JAA counterparts they never expire.

Ste88
27th Feb 2008, 09:39
Hi!

I surly that to covert a Candian trasportation license to FAA is quite easly because you have to only complete a test about 25 questions.

But i dont know if the canadian license can expire like jaa....could anyone let news about it?