PDA

View Full Version : Ex ABLE ARCHER programme

tablet_eraser
18th Feb 2008, 16:05
Hallo chaps

I seem to recall that there was a programme about ABLE ARCHER on TV a short while ago. My Stn Cdr is keen to get his hands on a copy, but no-one seems know know which channel it went out on. Any ideas?

NRU74
18th Feb 2008, 16:21
I think it featured in '1983 The Brink of Apocalypse' C4 on c 5/1/08 and it looks like it's on again on C4 on 24/2/08 @ 0225 [or could be early hours of 25/2]

ExJAFAD
18th Feb 2008, 16:30
I agree with the above found this link if it is any help:

http://library.digiguide.com/lib/uk-tv-highlight/1983:+The+Brink+Of+Apocalypse-2260/Documentary/

whowhenwhy
18th Feb 2008, 16:54
NRU74 you are indeed correct - I waded through the first 30 minutes and, although it may have been a function of the quantity of alcohol consumed, found the programme to be incredibly dull and gave up nn the basis that we're all still here and therefore we avoided a nuclear apocalypse.

tablet_eraser
19th Feb 2008, 19:35
Thanks for the help!

johnny99
19th Feb 2008, 19:51
Tablet,

You can find it on You Tube - some kind soul has parceled it up into 7 parts. You can download the individual clips for playback on the computer. I watched it on the original broadcast and found it very revealing - interesting to see just how much misinformation was around. Just as well we were oblivious to it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69swKpMS8Ug&feature=related

Yellow Sun
20th Feb 2008, 06:57
The programme was based largely on a chapter in the book:

Instructions From The Centre by Christopher Andrew & Oleg Gordievsky
ISBN 0-340-56650-7

Operation RYAN (Raketno-Yadrenoye Napadenie - Nuclear Missile Attack) was the Soviet Intelligence operation to collect intelligence about the presumed (but non-existent) plans by the US and NATO to launch a surprise nuclear strike against the Soviet Union. The most revealing aspect of the operation is that its methodology and areas of interest probably represented a mirror image of Soviet planning and preparation. I have watched a small part of the prgramme and thought it an attempt to sensationalise the events of the time.

Read the book by all means, it is informative, but remember by whom it was written and why. You must allow for the authors' perspective.

BTW I was involved in Able Archer '83 - claims that it was anything other than a normal exercise are rubbish.

YS