PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simulator X and all PC sims: merged threads

SA Helicopter
22nd Dec 2006, 04:49
Hey guys,

What do think about the new Flight Simulator X game from Microsoft? I've given it a shot and found it to be excellent.

Although it's more for the fixed wing crowd, there are some nice new missions with heli's. My favourite is the oil platform sortie....

Annyway, tell us what you think!?:)

Cheers,
SA Helicopter

jimma
22nd Dec 2006, 07:18
I've been tempted to give it a go for a month or so, but haven't made the switch from 2004 yet. I have used the demo though, and agree with SA that, as far as I can tell so far, it is good.

Would love to hear peoples opinions...

I think I will wait and see what "Santa" brings this year, I may be making the switch quite soon!

madman1145
22nd Dec 2006, 07:58
How is the ADF needle? Does it lead / lack as it should do like in reality ??
I understand the previous versions didn't, witch is annoying if you wanna train NDB approaches and in reality they do :hmm: ..

- madman

nrh
22nd Dec 2006, 08:34
Still have FS2004 I'm afraid - Microsoft do precious little for helicopters and the new release seems no different...third party developers have accomplished some remarkable things though, when they catch up with FS-X then who knows what will be possible?... :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/nericha/fs92006-11-1322-14-40-25.jpg

i4iq
22nd Dec 2006, 15:40
The graphics are prettier but you need a much more powerful graphics card to run them. Still good for practicing instrument approaches - although I haven't tried an NDB approach, so I can't comment on the lead/lag...

Still no DP's or STAR's, which is a bit disappointing. You can add your own way points to simulate them but it would have been nice if they'd included them...

Heliringer
22nd Dec 2006, 16:02
Before i buy it is it a worth while tool for someone who has no Heli IFR experience. Would I learn anything about IFR flying this sim? It looks good and in Australia we at the bottom end have no IFR skills whatsoever, will this help if you're motivated?
Cheers sick of looking up stocks arse's
RINGER:ugh:

tt801
22nd Dec 2006, 16:13
I've just purchased FS2004 to help with my Instrument training and wondered what controller/Joystick people are using. The saitek X52 has been recommended by a couple of people but I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance

madman1145
22nd Dec 2006, 16:38
Don't bother about what controls to use, joystick, keyboard etc. when it concern MS Flight Sim and the goal is to learn IFR ..

Use the MS Flight Sim for procedure training (that's why I asked about lead/lag on ADF/NDB). Don't expect the way to fly the MS Flight Sim is the same as flying IRL - my tiny miny little experience says IT's NOT !! Real aircraft and especially IMC environment (that is can't see **** anywhere around you) and not to forget Human Factors with no "P-for-Pause-button" is a whole new world, being pretty much blind. MS Flight Sim can not simulate that ..

So:
MS Flight Sim = Procedure Trainer
MS Flight Sim ≠ How to fly IFR, unless you are able to make a complete setup with full-motion cockpit, screens all around you, live ATC etc. etc. ..

- madman

tt801
22nd Dec 2006, 16:51
Thanks for the reply and advice Madman. I'm about half way through my Intstrument training and bought FS2004 for the reasons you mentioned, ie procedure training, and also to practice the different types of entry to a hold and the actual hold.

I suppose I may aswell just buy a cheap joystick, does that make sense??

Thanks

i4iq
22nd Dec 2006, 17:02
You dont need to have the whole setup to use X for practicing IFR but I think it helps. The goal is definitely to learn the procedures and fly published approaches - exactly as you would in a "real" sim or the instrument ship you'll be taking a check-ride in.

If you do buy the X52 (and the CHC Pedals), mount the throttle on its side and use it as you would the collective. Another tip is to take out the spring on the joystick that centres the joystick after each movement - it'll feel more "realistic".

Try to use a relatively sensitive setup, use the approaches you'll be flying for real, develop a very good scan and you may find flying the real thing easier than the sim.

VeeAny
22nd Dec 2006, 17:05
Madman

I think you're right it is a fair procedural trainer, i occasionally use it just to familiarise myself if i am expecting to fly a complex procedure in the next few days. It does help, particularly with a procedure you've never flown before. I would also agree that joystick etc is a waste of time for this purpose, fly it on the autopilot just for the 'experience' of flying the procedure, it won't teach you anything about how the aircraft will feel in real IMC under IFR.

I4 if you have the luxury of somethine that equates to helicopter controls and not an MS joystick then, that may be useful, but i've never tried it.

It would be nice if they've Dipped the ADF needle in the new version.

V.

i4iq
22nd Dec 2006, 17:14
V

I dont have anything sufficiently like the real thing but I hear that the FlightLink setup is worth a look. It's more a case of getting used to the workload etc. Moot point though.

tt801
22nd Dec 2006, 17:34
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll go with a simple joystick setup so I can concentrate on practising the scan, holds and entry to holds and not get to caught up in flying the sim when I should be studying for my checkride!!!

Thanks again

madman1145
22nd Dec 2006, 17:49
When I did my JAA IR(H), the 10 hours sim was done on a Piper PA28 simulator. Yes, Single prop Fixed Wing - because it was procedure training of the instruments, not flying. And on autopilot with headingbug too - so if the FTO doesn't bother, why should the student ??
Actually the FTO recommended not to train NDB approaches on MS Flight Sim, because people got used to it doesn't have lead/lag and they have great problems when they go to the PA28 Sim or B206L helicopter. And it's usually the NDB approaches that students strugles the most with ..

I have so far never been even a bit close of getting just a bit airsick flying the MS Flight Sim. Been close enough once or twice during IR training in real IMC, or total blackness and googles over the swamp of Florida with zero reference anywhere outside :yuk: ..
Just another human factor that MS Flight Sim can't simulate and that influence your ability to fly, scanning etc. etc. ..
So MS Flight Sim - good for procedure training and that's it ..

- madman

charron
22nd Dec 2006, 18:01
I've used FS2004, got the demo FS X running but it is a bit of an graphics hog. For IFR flying and practise there are two separate skills: platform flying without reference to ground and the necessary development of the instrument panel scanning skills, and secondly the procedural part of knowing what to do when. You learn a little internal clock in the back of your head to keep up to date with things.

So, depending on what you fly you can bring up different models. Get a panel that matches - Learjet seems to sub pretty good for the S76C+, Caravan for the steam gauge aircraft. Play a little with the joystick to get your scan up to speed, then fly it with the autopilot. Modern aircraft these days are all autopilot flown (except for you sorry 222UT guys and the other unfortunates in a Phase II S76). And besides, for procedural work like hold entries and tracking you can just work the heading bug. A big part of learning is watching to see what all the other instruments are doing to give you a hint of what's going on.

Practise the NDB and VOR stuff because you'll probably get some Luddite hard-ass examiner for your ride that will want to see it. Practically in the real world nobody ever tracks a VOR or flies an NDB approach - it is all GPS. The FS sims have either a Garmin 500 or 295 that you can put up in the corner of the screen and use like you would in a real aircraft. I once saw a software splice that put the Garmin 500 sim into the FS program, but never got it to work right. The built-in Garmin for FS is pretty basic but OK for training. Flying an NDB approach with the 500 screen to peek at makes it a lot easier, just like real life.

You need to learn the basics, but once in the real world hold entries are calculated and timed by the FMS. You can bet on the correct hold entry with your copilot and then the box will tell you if you were both wrong (best part is that then you don't have to buy the FMS the first round at the watering hole).

Put a really big screen in front of you. Laptops are OK, but if you can connect to that 46" LCD you watch football on it is a whole different experience. I've seen some basic VFR training done with FS or X-Plane with the little control setup mentioned earlier in these posts and it is quite impressive when done in front of a large screen.

Lots of IFR pilots tune themselves up with an FS program, especially if they are not doing any IMC in their regular job.

Charon

madman1145
22nd Dec 2006, 19:10
".. Practically in the real world nobody ever tracks a VOR or flies an NDB approach .."
In Europe and many other places on mother earth, it's very comon and used every day to fly NDB approaches and track VOR's ..
Like NDB approaches offshore in the North Sea - upsi :hmm: ..

".. You need to learn the basics, but once in the real world hold entries are calculated and timed by the FMS .."
So what are you gonna do the day the bling-bling fancy computer fails ?? - call mommy ??
There is a reason why operators wants you to know and show that you can do timed turns when things goes in-op and gyroes say goodnight ..

".. but if you can connect to that 46" LCD you watch football .."
What 46"? I'm a lowhour pilot like many others who needs training, so I live in 2 suitcases and cary a laptop ..

Charron, may I ask, not to be rude at all - are you a certified pilot ??

- madman

DanglyBob
23rd Dec 2006, 21:50
Does anyone find using a TrackIR set helps as well?

i4iq
23rd Dec 2006, 22:36
Never tried it but it looks interesting. Tempted to buy one now, just to see!

http://www.edimensional.com/trackir/trackir.php

havick
23rd Dec 2006, 23:07
Have any of you tried X-Plane?

I have been using that lately to keep the IFR skills up, the aircraft seems to react more realistically to the environmentals than Microsoft FS. Plus you can also change aircraft configs in it (ie engine HP etc as you all well know there can be different engines for the same airframe). At the end of the day though there's substitute for the real thing but it is great for ironing the bugs out of the system so you get your money's worth in the air.

bladewashout
24th Dec 2006, 08:57
I'd always thought a Sim would be good for practice engine failures, helping you react more automatically, particularly if you are in a 22, when fast reactions are life-preserving! Does FS-X have a random engine failure mode?

Need some sort of a collective, pedals and cyclic, though, to make it useful.

Anyone have any comments on what is a good graphics card to use for FS-X?

BW

charron
24th Dec 2006, 16:15
The original post title was whether FS X was any good for helicopters. Some persons doubted the ADF function would work properly. Just tried it and yes it does - cuts, intercepts, tracking etc. I used the Baron panel in the demo.

The GPS in the demo doesn't allow the input of userwaypoints, and you don't have a radar, so the ARA NDB/GPS is a little rough until somebody tweeks the program. You could still fly the whole thing using an existing ground NDB (and GPS waypoint for it). You could always use the GPS map view instead of radar (paint some range lines on your computer screen). I notice the OBS function in the GPS didn't work either. Wish someone could splice the Garmin's own full function demonstrator to FS X.

Offshore approaches to a rig have always seemed wobbly in a sim, even a Level D FFS, so I wouldn't beat it up for that.

I think the trickiest part of a helicopter sim is to get that low speed stuff down right, like lowering the nose to increase speed and climb. Once over 60 knots it is just an airplane, so for IFR the helicopter dynamics don't matter that much.

madman, no offense taken. rough sandbox and all that - merry christmas

charon

bluestack
24th Dec 2006, 16:33
The advice I was given was use the C172 for any sim practice - panel and approach speeds are more akin to the robbie/s300, and the aim of the game is to get the approaches down, not the physical flying which is too consuming for any worthwhile instrument practice.

Joystick wise I bought a cheapie off ebay, second hand microsoft one - with a throttle lever on it and twist for rudder/pedals work for the reasons above.

Merry Christmas all..

blave
25th Dec 2006, 06:01
The original post asked about FS-X. Ironically, the helicopter flight model is the only one in the game that I'm aware of that is at all changed from FS2004. The changes I've noticed are that (a) autorotations are now a little more realistic (in FS2004 the R22 would not auto at all) and (b) the helos are a little easier to fly.

What they did *not* do was add modeling of required pedal when collective is applied. Hopefully the great folks at http://www.dodosim.com will be able to update their magical addon for FS2004 to FS-X. Their add-on does a number of things, including the pedal thing, realistic 206 starting procedures, etc.

regarding the FS-X "GPS" - you cannot edit flight plans from the unit itself; it is driven by the Flight Plan function of the sim.

Dave Blevisn

gwelo shamwari
26th Dec 2006, 14:05
I haven't tried the new Microsoft Flight sim, though I did try 2004, which i was very disapointed as it has poor helicopter support and a very poor helicopter model.

I did some looking around and found a program call X-Plane. It has a fantastic helicopter model and there is loads of support/helicopters/etc for it, most of which is free.

http://www.x-plane.com/

Best of which it is not a microcrap, oppp's microsoft product and is cross platform.

blave
27th Dec 2006, 04:59
Sorry, but I am in complete disagreement w.r.t. X-Plane being a "fantastic" PC-based helicopter flight sim. Also, does the name of the publishing company really have anything to do with how good the software is? I think not.
I have been running MS Flight Simulator (on a regular basis) and X-Plane (up until it annoys me to the point that I uninstall it, which always takes about 45 minutes) for about five years. As much as I want X-Plane to move up to the front of PC-based helicopter simulation, I have been disappointed with every single release over the last three or so years.

X-Plane is, more or less, written by one very talented (and fixed-wing rated) developer, but after a while I got tired of being driven *crazy* by his tendency to work on things like tire smoke rather than refining the helicopter flight model.

I haven't flown X-Plane for about six months, but the most recent version I tried (8.something) was no better and the helicopter model reminds me of no aircraft that I have flown IRL.

Dave Blevins

I haven't tried the new Microsoft Flight sim, though I did try 2004, which i was very disapointed as it has poor helicopter support and a very poor helicopter model.
I did some looking around and found a program call X-Plane. It has a fantastic helicopter model and there is loads of support/helicopters/etc for it, most of which is free.
http://www.x-plane.com/
Best of which it is not a microcrap, oppp's microsoft product and is cross platform.

gwelo shamwari
27th Dec 2006, 12:25
:hmm:

Well I guess we all have had our own experiences and hence preferences. I for one have never had any problems with X-Plane on a PC or a MAC. And to be honest I find the flight model to be rather realistic, however that could be to my in experience in these things we call "helicopters". Who knows?

Unfortunately I can not say the same for Microsoft Flight Sim or some of their other products.

As I can see for your previous posts on different threads, your opinion is that X-Plane is not of the same standard as Microsoft; and that is fine as we are all allowed to have an opinion.

The point being is that the aviation community should be aware that there are other deserving products from which to choose which are cheaper and have better performance, not just Microsoft.

TGZ

ARINC
27th Dec 2006, 15:09
Gentlemen...

I'm an Engineer and not a pilot, but I have been simming for years. You guys need to get some addons for your FS2004 !

It's all here http://www.hovercontrol.com/ and it's more or less free.

And if you fancy something bigger (but not free !)

http://www.precisionmanuals.com/

RBS
28th Dec 2006, 01:15
Has anyone encountered activation problems when they load FSX. Everytime I try to activate it online it says the server is busy or down, and then in an attempt to activate it by telephone, it comes up with an error prompt. I've re-intalled it, tried everything on the fsinder website and still no luck. Anybody have any advice?

Jonasraf
28th Dec 2006, 02:10
Has anyone encountered activation problems when they load FSX. Everytime I try to activate it online it says the server is busy or down, and then in an attempt to activate it by telephone, it comes up with an error prompt. I've re-intalled it, tried everything on the fsinder website and still no luck. Anybody have any advice?
I had to try at least 10 times to activate my copy before it worked. Same error message. I was starting to think that my internet connection was down.:ugh:
Does anyone here know what kind og graphic card is needed so I can run FSX in most detailed version. I hate to know that I am only using 20% of its capabilty. I have ATI radeon 9200. it's either 64 or 128mb.

i4iq
28th Dec 2006, 02:58
I have one machine with an older NVIDIA Quadro FX 1100. Bit slow...

My notebook has an NVIDIA Quadro FX 2500M 512Gig. Much smoother.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx_go.html

No problems with activation.

brett s
28th Dec 2006, 13:28
The one thing that astounds me in FSX is there are zero torque effects - how can you begin to simulate a single rotor helicopter without modeling them?

Don't even want to talk about the extremely sluggish handling default helicopters, the R22 has a max pitch rate of about 10 degrees a second...

rotorspin
28th Dec 2006, 15:09
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/nzone_uk?registration_option_id=3894

try the above to test your system and make recommendations to improve performance for Flight Sim X.

This is an nvidia program so a reputable source

Agree that the heli's in Flight Sim X are really disappointing. Got a copy for Xmas, spent tons on upgrading my machine to make it run and the end result is pretty pants.....

Anybody want to buy a Pc? I'm off to buy some A1

blave
29th Dec 2006, 06:47
Sorry, my activation went smoothly - on 2 PCs with the same set of DVDs! (MS allows two installations for one install code)
I know that quite a few people have had issues with activation; you might try perusing the forums at http://www.avsim.com which has been my favorite flight sim site for many years.
Editorial comment: the concept of "activation" is horrendous, and is probably the main reason why I shall put off the horror of upgrading to Windows Vista as long as I possibly can. Microsoft is going overboard with their activation scheme - I just read tonight on Avsim that a guy that had previously had a successful activation is now having issues after FS-X crashed!! WTF is up with that?
Mark my words, FS-X's activation experience is but a precursor to what Vista customers will have to endure. I may switch to Linux to avoid it!
---
A little bit of full disclosure: the dialog here has prompted me to download X-Plane 8.5 and see whether it's as bad as 8.2 was in terms of the helicopter stuff. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
---
and on the helicopter flight models in FS-X - yes they are far from perfect, but really how much can any PC simulation approximate real flight past a certain point? E.g. it's fun and challenging to execute an instrument approach in a PC simulator - in any aircraft - in blowing snow or rain and turbulence, but that experience will never come close to the pucker factor that will be present in doing that in real life, when your whole world is being jostled around and the gyro instruments are doing "interesting things".
I view FS-X - and all other PC-based sims - as a way to experience SOME of the aspects of flying in a fun and sometimes educational way, but it can only go so far. I think it's best for general procedural familiarization, and for practicing instrument approach *procedures*.
That all said -to echo a previous poster's comments - for crying out loud, WHY can't they add modeling of required pedal input for increased power? I have been whining about this (at one point, to an MS FS product manager at a trade show a couple years ago) for years and will continue to do so until they fix it 8^) .
Dave Blevins

FSDesigner
29th Dec 2006, 09:09
Hello chaps,

Long time reader, first time poster and all that. I'm not a pilot, but am involved in the industry ATC wise... as a result of what I do, and an interest in FS, I started designing scenery for FS some time ago, mainly offshore platforms. Some of my work can be found here http://www.fs-odg.com/ not all the models you'll see there are mine, the group has 2 modellers, of which I am one.

The scope of the group that I design with is to place reasonable representations of offshore facilities in real world loactions... to that end, I have been asked to place some around Austalia (Bass Strait initially)... given the large user base, I thought I would make a request here;

Are there any Australian pilots here (offshore or otherwise) that could provide me with accurate lat/long for offshore facilites around Australia, including information on NDB idents and freqs?

To expand on that request... I have information on GoM and North Sea facilities, but if anyone has relevant info on any offshore facilities elsewhere in the world I'd be very happy to accept, it'll come in handy for future projects!

Thanks for listening
Alun (AKA 'Airprox' in the FS world)

206Fan
24th Jun 2007, 14:29
Good Day folks

Ok heres the deal, its regarding an FS2004 (FS9) Helicopter Project which a group of members at hovercontrol are planning on starting soon, the Bell 407 is on top of list so their looking Real World pilots on this bird to help out when it comes to the Beta testing stage and other information on the 407. I said i would make a post here to see was there any 407 pilots about who would like to help them out?? So if theres a few here leave a reply:ok:

http://hovercontrol.com/

And the link to the exact topic about the project!
http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=10;t=12423

Cheers.

206Fan
28th Jun 2007, 17:38
So i take it theres no 407 pilots on the forum??? Or does anybody here know a few??

Avnx EO
28th Jun 2007, 19:06
Maybe you'd get more responses if you explained what an FS2004 (FS9) Helicopter Project is...:confused:

206Fan
28th Jun 2007, 20:48
Sorry i thought you guys woulda known what it was. Its Microsofts Flight simulator 2004, they have recentley released Flight Simulator FSX, more advanced graphics, scenery ect.. Theres a group of people going to start modelling a Bell 407 for FS2004 and FSX because there isn't any good ones available for it. To do so you will need modellors, gauge designers, someone to collect information/pics, Beta testers which is normally real world pilots to test the aircraft in the sim to give us feedback if the model is close to real world specs in the sim or not. So i said i would post a topic here to see if there was any real 407 pilots lurking about who has FS2004 and would help with the project!

docstone
28th Jun 2007, 21:35
Happy to help if I can - 407 an aamzing machine - PM me to discuss

HeliJayB
3rd Jul 2007, 20:21
I have many photos of the 407, inside and out. Took them while I was making a Power Point Presentation for the 407 initial and recurrent ground/flight course I taught at work. Drop me an email if you would like.

Skycop9
6th Jul 2007, 01:23
I Fly a Bell 407 which has the Chelton EFIS system in it. If you would be interested in photo's email me and I will include digital phot's. I also fly a 407 with the standard flight and engine instruments.
Just provide me with an email address.
:):ugh:

HeliRoute
25th Jan 2008, 16:54
Has anyone tried X-Plane as a useful trainer?
I've been using it the las three months to play with, using the Bell 430 and Augusta A109.

slowrotor
25th Jan 2008, 20:49
I used X-Plane to learn hovering. Was able to hover the R22 and S300 on the first lesson because of the X-plane practice.
Did not help for approaches, I found the real thing more challenging in that case.

Horror box
26th Jan 2008, 09:00
I found it very useful as a procedural trainer when i was doing my IR as most of the radio navaids are accurately portrayed, and you can use actual weather/wind. Didnt bother trying to handle it, just used a generic aircraft with autopilot to fly the thing with some stability and concentrated on the procedures. The IOS facitlity is also very useful for seeing how you tracking/holding/point to point etc works out, but that is about it. Havent used it since though. Definitley NOT worth trying to practice/learn any handling on it. Learning to hover on a computer game - definitely not, unless you have a full control set up with hydraulic motion!

Hilico
26th Jan 2008, 09:17
I have to agree with Slowrotor and disagree with HorrorBox - you can make useful progress with a desktop sim. With gaps of years between rides, it was all I had, and I could see the difference when it got to hovering.

EDIT: Just talked to Fast at Thruxton - they've got a proper sim (fixed but that's not a prob) and the word on the street is, they're thinking of having a day for low/no time heli drivers sometime soon. I had a go at Helitech last year and it's fackin brill. I hope this isn't advertising, and I have no connection with the company blah blah blah.

Horror box
26th Jan 2008, 16:19
you can make useful progress with a desktop sim. With gaps of years between rides, it was all I had, and I could see the difference when it got to hovering.

Sorry Hilico we have to agree to disagree on this one. The flight characteristics of a desktop and a helicopter are so different, I think you are really kidding yourself if you think you can learn to handle from a desktop computer sim. Basic handling is far more about feel and and real visual cues, including all the kinaesthetics that go with actually being in the machine, allowing your senses to enable you to learn muscle memory and coordination. Even full motion level D sims do not accurately represent hover charateristics. They provide a more realistic simulation, but they are still very different from the real thing. You can actually get into some very bad habits early on from learning to fly a sim. I have yet to fly a simulator that can actually portray the low level/low speed/hover characteristics of the real helicopter. Some of the newer one are getting closer though.

helimutt
26th Jan 2008, 18:16
The 'sim' that Fast will be using is a one used by a few operators for IR training. It is overly sensitive, usually based on a Jet ranger etc, runs on Microsoft Flight Sim2002 and is only a FNPT2. (Procedural Trainer) It is not intended to teach you to fly so I wouldn't call it a simulator as such, but I guess it can't hurt. For what you pay per hour, it'd not cost much more to use the real thing (cheap R22)

I speak from experience having spent 40 hours in one of those boxes!!!

MSP Aviation
26th Jan 2008, 18:54
Sorry Hilico we have to agree to disagree on this one. The flight characteristics of a desktop and a helicopter are so different, I think you are really kidding yourself if you think you can learn to handle from a desktop computer sim. Basic handling is far more about feel and and real visual cues, including all the kinaesthetics that go with actually being in the machine, allowing your senses to enable you to learn muscle memory and coordination. Even full motion level D sims do not accurately represent hover charateristics. They provide a more realistic simulation, but they are still very different from the real thing. You can actually get into some very bad habits early on from learning to fly a sim. I have yet to fly a simulator that can actually portray the low level/low speed/hover characteristics of the real helicopter. Some of the newer one are getting closer though.

I think that you are quite wrong. With no experience other than dedicated use of Microsoft's Flight Sim I was hovering and making pedal turns after forty minutes in my first lesson w/ 14kt winds.

HeliRoute
26th Jan 2008, 20:39
Thanks for your thoughts and replies.
I spent many hours practising hovering on x-plane, purely for hand/pedal/eye co-ordination. As it is difficult to get proper reference with the ground on a 2d sim I had to rely on the instruments. That said, my second lesson in an r22 concentrated on hovering due to poor weather conditions.
I had it hovering maintaining position and direction in a couple of mins and put that down to the co-ordination practise in x-plane.

2papabravo
27th Jan 2008, 11:19
X-plane better than Flight Sim X for the rotary side?

MSP Aviation
27th Jan 2008, 20:08
Anything is better than Flight Sim X for anything but eye candy. Go with Flight Sim 2004. Using the default B206, be sure to set the "general" realism slider to 90% or else it is unrealistically uncontrolable.

HeliRoute
27th Jan 2008, 20:27
The robbo is really twitchy in X-Plane. The S61 is nice to fly. I bought Jason Chandler's add on Augusta 109 and Bell 430.
The benefit with X-plane is the additional feature of equipment/instrument/engine failure sim. If you try to cut the engine in FS2004 the chopper just spins, whereas in X-plane, it reacts as best as you'd expect from any sim.
Loads of fixed wing opportunities as well but havent really had a go with them properly.

Shawn Coyle
28th Jan 2008, 02:00
As one who did the flying to get several of the sims certified in the UK, I can probably say with some certainty that you can use the sims to learn to hover. It's a question of how the instructor does it, just like in the real helicopter.
I had the manufacturer set up a special area for teaching hovering, with lots of vertical cues, and it really did make a difference in teaching someone how to learn the basics of hovering.
There have been several people who have spent considerable time in the sims and then gone straight out and hovered nearly perfectly.
That having been said, I know of two helicopter pilots who taught themselves how to fly a helicopter - without any instruction - in real helicopters....
(if that doesn't get the thread going, I don't know what will)

zerospeedit
28th Jan 2008, 13:27
I have used x-plane to brush-up on particular procedures prior to an IR test. I've dabbled with x-plane helicopter models, but prefer to fly it on the Flight Director of the King Air as I don't really rate the handling aspects as worthwhile and I want to concentrate on the procedure and the mental arithmetic.
As for hovering, I find even multi-million pound dynamic simulators provide a fairly rudimentary likeness of true hovering so are of limited value IMO until you're in forward flight. Even so, if a bit of time on x-plane prior to your flying lesson gives you that bit more confidence then that can only be a good thing.

helimutt
28th Jan 2008, 15:25
anyone know of an addition to flight sim using an RD-650 HSI and also an AD-650H ADI.??

EN48
28th Jan 2008, 16:25
I have had great success with a desktop sim (Elite ver 8) for maintaining instrument proficiency in airplanes. However, I found that to make this work really well, it was necessary to add a fairly complete set of external airplane controls/radios. In other words, flying with a keyboard dosesnt cut it. I am about to begin training for an Instrument-Helicopter rating and would like to give X Plane or FS a try. Just wondering if anyone is using external helicopter like controls with this software, and, if so, which are recommended?

Simon853
30th Jan 2008, 20:37
I've recently finished writing a program that runs alongside MS Flight Sim and plays with the flight dynamics at run-time, adding in a lot of missing behaviours.

The default coefficients are tuned to give a roughly half-decent response to the standard Flight Simulator X Bell 206. (For Flight Simulator 2004 you should set the general realism in the sim to about 90% and use my default settings.)

If anyone wants to give it a go, you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zjcu5zeenc

You'll also need to google for and download FSUIPC.dll. (Note that you don't need the registered version.)

Since my program is free to use (for non-commercial use) I hope this doesn't constitute advertising!

Regards,

Si

TiPwEiGhT
30th Jan 2008, 20:49
Even a full motion simulator is hard to hover, and that's after you have got over the motion sickness on your first go... then you start getting the hang of it! TiP

EN48
30th Jan 2008, 20:55
"Even a full motion simulator is hard to hover"

I have tried three different 206 FTD's (sims without motion) and found all a challenge to hover compared tyo the real deal. Shawn Coyle has pointed out that hovering is made more difficult by the absence of certain "vertical" cues, and I think that this may be the problem with these sims. As one approaches to hover height, the detail (texture) of ground objects begins to blur on the visual diaplay, and the hovering goes to hell.

Saud J.
18th Feb 2008, 07:57
Hi all,
I'm looking for simulator that can be connected to the internet (like the network game). Helicopter prefered.:)

Your responce and information are highly treasured.:)

187nj
18th Feb 2008, 09:09
Hey Saud.

I just purchased:

Flight Simulater X (£20 off ebay)
Cheap headset (£5)
Saitek X45 joystick and throttle (£80 -£150 off ebay)

I connected it straight to the internet using gamespy which is on the mulitplayer option of the game.

If you are looking for good simulator training in your own home this is perfect - FSX has really helped me to become a better pilot (in real life!).

Yesterday I joined a game in Gran Canaria, I was talking to ATC and everything - I sort of forgot I was at home a one point - it really is that life like.

There are two helicoptors to choose from on FSX as well as over 20 different prop's and jets.

Hope this helps you. Holla if you need anymore info.

Benjamin James
18th Feb 2008, 11:11
This site is an excellent resource for all heli mods based on MS's Flight simulator http://www.hovercontrol.com/ It can help you find online communities that operate with full radio communication's with human control tower operator's.

For heli flying, with mods Fs2004 is more realistic atm than FSX with mods.

Dodosim has what is considered the most realistic flight model mod, it's the Bell 206. They are working on a Huey and R22 that should be just as good.

You can also download the free X-Plane ver9 beta. It's alot better for heli's than a default install of any MS Flight Sims.

bugdevheli
18th Feb 2008, 17:31
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii32/bugdevheli/HeliBrochureAug059.jpg

BUY ONE OF MINE !!!! SEE ATTACHED PHOTO

Saud J.
19th Feb 2008, 06:43
Thnx guys for you help

Aser
20th Feb 2008, 14:34
Saud J.
Take a look here http://www.ivao.aero/

Regards
Aser

206Fan
20th Feb 2008, 15:12
Since we are on the Flight Simulator Topic, the Nemeth Designs group are modelling realistic helicopters for FSX now, their previous models released are for FS2004, their CH-53E for FSX is awsome and the new EC135 is looking very nice..

http://www.nemethdesigns.com/

http://www.nemethdesigns.com/Pics/ec135_screens/fsx_ec135_05.jpg

http://www.nemethdesigns.com/Pics/ec135_screens/fsx_ec135_10.jpg

Helikopter
6th Mar 2008, 08:20
Where can I find AS 332 SAR Super Puma for Flight Simulator X ?

Regards

Helikopter

Lt.Fubar
6th Mar 2008, 10:50
The desktop sim vs real life is always somewhat a hot discussion, and people are mostly right and wrong on both sides equally.

Lets begin with the choice people have when it comes to helicopter simulations on desktop computers... it is very short list. Really, best one can get is getting FS2004 and DodoSim Advanced Bell 206 (http://www.dodosim.com/enthus.html). That one works on its own flight model which I heard from many people is very accurate. But if one want to get best without paying for add ons, the FSX, now with Service Pack 2, is the best way to go.

The main change between FSX and FS2004 is in the handling - for example, in FS2004 the amount of thrust, that tail rotor could give, was depending on how much the main rotor was giving at given time (not in Dodo). Pure FSX have it fixed, now with the SP2, helicopters can become bit more complex - finely an governor with PID controller... unfortunately that one is apparently still tricky for add on makers to master - in the EH101 from the Acceleration add on, you can't maintain stable hover because of the governor. Its PID controller have wrong settings and the engines RPMs oscillate around the optimal value, producing to much torque one time, than to little the next. It can be changed simply editing one file in notepad, but requires some knowledge about the machine.

Since I'm not a pilot, (still working on my masters degree in engineering, than I'll go for the license) I did asked few pilots I know (I'm closely connected with Navy Aviation base here at Baltic coast) and one thing is quite common... non of them really look at the details in sim physics, until you tell them what they should look for. Not to offend any real time aviators here... just take everyones opinion with a grain of salt ;) Most of the people I give to fly in FS9 and FSX said the same things:
- it is harder to fly (no motion and no depth perception)
- it is quite accurate - physics wise
- the sensation is totally different

To cut it short. If someone thinks about getting PPL-H license, and thinks about practicing in Flight Simulator, go for it, it is way better than learn flying helicopters from a book only.

Hover control inputs, instruments reading, flying approaches, stable flight (holding altitude, attitude and heading), communications (with live ATC - via Vatsim (http://www.vatsim.net/)) - those are things that one will learn for sure :ok:

Bravo73
6th Mar 2008, 11:28
Where can I find AS 332 SAR Super Puma for Flight Simulator X ?

Have you tried hovercontrol.com (http://www.hovercontrol.com/)?

Helikopter
6th Mar 2008, 20:35
Thanks a lot for the reply, I´m a helicopter pilot flying both the AS 332 Super Puma and AS 365N2 Dauphin.
My idea was just to download the Super Puma and fly some IFR on the clocks.
Regards.

Lt.Fubar
6th Mar 2008, 23:05
Like Bravo73 wrote, there is an AS332 at HeverControl.com, it was made for the FS2004 but it works in FSX. You will only need to work a bit with the installation:

- Download the Super Pumas package from here (http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ifolio/imageFolio.cgi?search=AS332L2&cat=File--Downloads&x=0&y=0&bool=and)
unpack it witch WinRaR, and run the install program
- When it'll ask you for FS9 directory, write in some temporary one, like "C: \Temp\SuperPuma\" it will install all files there just like it would in FS9
- then go to that directory, copy 'Effects', 'Sound' and 'Gauges' folders into FSX directory.
- open the 'Aircraft' folder and copy whole 'as332gjsar' into 'Flight Simulator X\SimObject\Rotorcraft'

Then run the sim... the a/c is quite butt-ugly, but if you need it for IFR it may do - the 2D panel is nicer than VC though.

gadgetguru
7th Mar 2008, 05:14
not sure if anyone is interested,
but certainly for low-timers or student pilots in Australia

Flight Terrain X (FTX (http://fullterrain.com/)) has just been released for Flight Sim X couple that with FEX (http://www.flightenvironment.com/) (realistic weather)

& this would set you up for realistic VFR references
very handy for the budding student pilot wanting to conduct some solo nav practise.....

all terrain is produced from aerial photography & whilst there is still an amount of autogen, the difference between default flight sim & FTX is extraordinary

there are some nice screenshots of YMMB in the forums area where developers have been constantly updating viewers.
http://orbxsystems.com/media/screen230.jpg

met some of the guys down at orbx, nice blokes & very keen to producing a quality product, once all Oz regions are done I believe their going to start on some other regions too.

Vertolot
8th Mar 2008, 12:04
I tried to download the AS332L2 from Hovercontrol.com according to the instructions by Lt. Fubar. I have Vista and FSX, I can´t get the AS332 installed properly.... :ugh: Maybe there is somebody out there who could provide me with further instructions!

Thanks in advance,

Lt.Fubar
8th Mar 2008, 18:58
Ups, Sorry, forgot that people started using Vista ;)

On Vista, there might be problems with running those old installers.

Here (http://www.sendspace.com/file/h7o04c) I've uploaded packed with WinRaR what is installed by the original program. Unpack it anywhere, than proceed with my previous instructions. If it won't work... than well not much more to do than to wait for one made specially to work with FSX+Vista configuration - there is one coming, but the time frame is unknown.

s61n
9th Mar 2008, 09:12
Gentlemen

I'd like to put forward a couple of difficult questions if I may:

1. Is there any program that allows you practise longline sling flying ?

It seems that longline flying is normally regarded as one of the most difficult disiplines of hands-on helicopter flying, and one very seldom practised, except amongst a very few specialists.

2. I'm about to retire my old pc with a xp sp2 system.
I suppose I shall have to install vista on the new one. In your professional opininon, should that be done with a 32 or 64 bit system setup?

Thank you for your time.

"Hals und beinbruch!"

s61n

gadgetguru
9th Mar 2008, 10:16
for what it's worth
in terms of Flight Sim X (FTX)

chatting with the guys at orbx
discussion came up regarding platform

they recommended Win XP SP3(beta) over Vista
far more reliable/stable/usable

the only thing Direct X 10 delivers that is different is instrument shadows
& some moderate effects on water/waves (low level)
besides that if you don't have a specific requirement for direct x 10
then dont go the vista path

for the long-lining query,
try tracking down the fella that did the dodosim 206 model
I'm sure he'd be a good start point

Lt.Fubar
9th Mar 2008, 12:34
Like Gandgetgru said, don't go for Vista, if you can live without some uber graphics.

The sling loads and winches are included in Service Pack 2 (which is also part of Acceleration add-on). It is not perfect though, it feels more like the load is attached on some sort rigid rod not a line. It would be useful to install FSX: Deluxe, than SP2/Acceleration on it, because the deluxe version has SDK, which will allow you for building your own missions - so setting different loads for sling load wherever you want, with time, season and weather of your liking.

The sling load will work with every helicopter, also with those from FS2004, only thing needed is a small modification of aircraft.cfg file in notepad. You have to add, and modify function:

[Sling.0]
position = -30.5, 0.0, 0.0 //Feet from datum
max_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate load
damping_ratio = 0.75 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.
rated_load = 10000 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds
ultimate_load = 25000 //Breaking force in pounds
tolerance_angle=70 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit
auto_pickup_range = 8 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup
auto_pickup_max_speed = 8.5 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup

The length of the line is 60 or 70 feet and cannot be changed... unless you make it a hoist, so it than can be extend and retract manually.
Function for hoist looks like this:

[Sling.0]
hoist_extend_rate = 5 //Feet per second
hoist_retract_rate = -5 //Feet per second
position = -34.7, 6.7, 7.0 //Feet from datum
max_stretch = 2.0 //Max stretch distance at ultimate load
damping_ratio = 0.6 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.
rated_load = 600 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds
ultimate_load = 2250 //Breaking force in pounds
tolerance_angle=45 //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit
auto_pickup_range = 8 //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup
auto_pickup_max_speed = 8.5 //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup
hoist_payload_station = 4 //Payload station in which the hoist will load in and out of. 1 is first station.
hoist_door=2 //Door associated with hoist. Must be open for use.

have fun ;)

BASys
9th Mar 2008, 12:41
Hi Folks

re: Long-line ops
The FSX Acceleration extension pack
incorporates the capabillity for lifting ops of all types. :ok:

Loads behave dynamically.
Works in both missions & free-flight, (from a saved flight only).

Only catches are -
- if you snap the hoist or sling cable, you need to restart. :rolleyes:
- sling lengths are preset by aircraft, and attached to a/c rather than to the load.

EDIT
Lt.Fubar (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=205497) posted whilst composing.

NB
Sling cable can be set to any length, and is set in the .flt file, (edit for correction).

HTH
ATB
Paul

Lt.Fubar
10th Mar 2008, 17:49
I looked it up today and the line length can be changed, but not in aircraft.cfg file. It is defined in mission or saved flight file (.flt) under:

[Sling.0.0]
Object=
CableLength=xxx
HoistSwitch=0

It is quite fun to try lift an HummVee with B206... well until you crash, or the engine quits :}
Bell 214B1 would come handy in this sim.

eivissa
25th Mar 2008, 15:47
Dont know if it has allready been mentioned but this year the helicopter simulation "black shark" will be released. It is fully track ir certified and i think those videos say it all...

for those who dont know what track ir is...it is an infrared device that you attach to your screen and it can detect in which direction your head looks and also the position of your head in relation to the monitor, so if you come closer, the picture will zoom in or if you move your head sideways, your virtual pilot will move sideways in the cockpit so that you can see the instruments behind your cyclic stick or move up to see more stuff directly in front of your helicopters nose...to me just an amazing thing and a must-have if you get this new game...ok...enough of talking watch this stuff:

Trailer1:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/87821.html

Trailer2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwlVGsrDPxQ

Startup and Checks!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAnF2NYqC8&feature=related

Rotorblade physics in heavy wind!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyctBKipmCI

KNIEVEL77
28th Nov 2008, 21:40
Hi,

I've done a search but can't find the answer......although i've got the official Robinson's manuals and DVDs is there a 'recognised' simulator I could either buy or visit to use whilst in between lessons?

Many thanks.

the coyote
28th Nov 2008, 23:14
Probably not in Alderon or its neighboring galaxies...

206Fan
28th Nov 2008, 23:33
You can buy a B206 sim for half a million here :E

Frasca Flight Simulation (http://www.frasca.com/web_pages/brochures/helicopters.htm)

Whirlygig
29th Nov 2008, 07:22
This what you're after? (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROBINSON-R22-HELICOPTER-FLIGHT-SIMULATOR-VIRTUALREALITY_W0QQitemZ320321255502QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CP V_Aviation_SM?hash=item320321255502&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A7%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308)

Or maybe this? (http://www.fsdownload.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=721)

Cheers

Whirls

Vitesse
29th Nov 2008, 08:14
Apologies for raising an old thread...

The DCS Ka-50 Black Shark sim is now available in Russian version only (easy fix to convert to English game menus/cockpit). 25$ download.

Link to Forum and instructions

General Discussion - ED Forums (http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=72)

Feedback indicates that the flight modelling takes PC sims to a new level. Full English version available approx Feb/March.

g-mady
29th Nov 2008, 08:19
im not sure frank would approve that new teetering head design! Not to mention the new "stubby" look skids!!! :=

MADY

eivissa
29th Nov 2008, 10:48
Hey guys,
first thing to raise up the discussions, I do sim flying since my tenth birthday (when i got my first pc). Starting with the hexagon kartell -> janes longbow series -> ms flight sims and so on. It was all great fun and I never expected it to be real, but when I started the PPL in 2006 I was able to hover and steer the R22 around some pylons in 40 minutes of training. It was really like switching from the sim, expect from the torque effects.
So I think it can really help to handle the helicopter, but also only to a certain point.

My newest purchase is the russian version of Black Shark and it really is a great sim. It hasnt been released in the western world yet, but you can at least switch the menu to english, so except for the training lessons, all is usable in the russian version.
To me it takes the hole sim flying to a new level...
-All aerodynamical parts are physically correct simulated, it goes down to the simulated airflow for each rotorblade.
-All buttons in the cockpit are clickable and usable.
-Vortex-Ring, collision of the main rotorblades, when exceeding vne and much more can all happen to you and so on.
-Radio navigation is fully integrated, it even is possible to loose satellite saturation to less than 4 when you fly through deep canions and so on.

I didnt know that would ever say that (concerning a sim), but yet I havent found a single thing is unrealistic in the hole handling and procedures of the helicopter.
Maybe the startup, but I havent ever used a fadec, so I cant really tell if those engine startup so easy. On the other side you cann really have a hot or hung start und will be forced to crank the engine and so on.

You might want to check out all the nice training videos on youtube. I can really recommend the game.

cheers eivissa.

KNIEVEL77
29th Nov 2008, 17:54
Thanks Whirls, can't afford the first one and can't understand the second one!!!!! :O

birrddog
29th Nov 2008, 21:25
Whirls,

You think the first one factors in c of g changes with the pilot flying from the left hand set like in the promo video? :E

A bargain compared to those GBP13k toy cars at Harrods.....:rolleyes:

Bell427
30th Nov 2008, 09:08
Eye candy for X-plane:

IFLY.IT (http://www.ifly.it/v3/)

http://www.ifly.it/img/aircrafts/a109s/a109s_2.jpg

Lt.Fubar
30th Nov 2008, 10:26
I didnt know that would ever say that (concerning a sim), but yet I havent found a single thing is unrealistic in the hole handling and procedures of the helicopter.Hmm, umm, well... oh, there's one: Trim Release works kind of awkward ;) press to reset and you have to be quick to center your joystick or the machine will tip-over. Well can't do better with the desktop Joysticks, probably works ok with the "Force Feedback" ones - but those are 4-8 times less accurate :ugh:.

Some time ago I started on a project of a precise joystick for computer helo sims with proper trim, but had to put it on hold, as lately had no spare time due to work on my term paper.

BTW, DCS: Black Shark (Чeрnaя Акула) will be released worldwide in January. To bad it's coaxial, will have to wait at least two years for DCS: Apache to fly proper combat helicopter ;) oh, and the DodoSim will release their new Bell 206 for FSX soon - that's something worth waiting for too:
DodoSim 206 FSX TEch Demo Oct 08 - Putfile.com (http://media.putfile.com/DodoSim-206-FSX-TEch-Demo-Oct-08)

eivissa
30th Nov 2008, 11:03
oh, well then, thats why I said, I havent found anything...yet ;)
Havent tested every detail...not even bothered about the force trim or the weapons system. I am still trying to figure out the best way to auto the coaxial system, do paddle turns and find the vortex ring limitations. The rotor blade physics really are great fun.

www.leftside-limited.com/news (http://www.leftside-limited.com/buy.html)

This guys have worked out some interesting tools to make helicopter sim flying a little bit more accurate. Would love to test these tools some time and trackIR aswell.

www.leftside-limited.com/collective/left-colli.jpg (http://www.leftside-limited.com/collective/left-colli.jpg)

Hompy
19th Apr 2009, 21:09
Does anybody know where on the web I can get hold of an S61 cockpit model for MS Flight Sim X? There are plenty for 95/98 but I am not smart enough to convert them to X. Anybody out there already done one?

Thanks

Hompy

eivissa
19th Apr 2009, 21:47
You could try Helicopter Simulation and Helicopter Training (http://www.hovercontrol.com/) -> File downloads -> Search for "S61" (all categories). Worked for me...

Regards eivissa.

Hompy
20th Apr 2009, 13:04
Thanks evissa. Found loads of 2004 but no MSX compatible models.

Hompy

ChopperFAN
20th Apr 2009, 13:36
This and Hovercontrol are the two best places for helicopters

The World's Largest Freeware Dedicated Flight Simulator Website - Microsoft Flight Simulator X, FSX, FS2004 FS2004, FS2002, FS2000, FS98, Combat Flight Simulator 3, CFS3, CFS2 & CFS Add-ons! (http://simviation.com/downloads.html)

I have a few S61 cockpits working with earlier fs2004 aircraft, but i doubt they are any good I havnt seen a good S61 cockpit yet

perhaps steal one from one of the good seakings avalible to download they usually have good panels and virtual cockpits

I now have over 300 helicopters in my fsx hanger, simviation is very good

Simon :E

206Fan
20th Apr 2009, 17:39
These guys make some awsome helicopter models, the FSX models are payware thou.. The EC135 cockpit is modelled beautifully!

Nemeth Designs Development Group - Products (http://nemethdesigns.com/products.html)

This chap is modelling a AS332L2 for FSX, its nearly finished..

FSX AS332L2 gmax model (http://www.dirkfassbender.de/fsx_as332l2_gmax_model.html)

Regarding the S-61, if anyone is willing to provide manual information and take a zillion photos of the machine then i can pass it onto the nemeth chaps and they will gladly model it!

Lt.Fubar
20th Apr 2009, 18:39
Nemeths got S-61 RFM, although eventually did not proceed with the project - check their forum, posts about a year ago.

I begun working on it, although even with some help, couldn't gather enough material, so I had to temporarily put it on hold. I currently started working on the S-58JT instead, will get back to the 61 after finishing that one.

206Fan
20th Apr 2009, 18:56
O right, didn't know they ditched the 61 project. Their working on a 332L2 at the minute!

C42
20th Apr 2009, 19:20
Whats the best flight sim for helicopter use (pref. one that I can download a Rotoway exec for it)

Cheers

Dave

heli-man
20th Apr 2009, 19:52
X-Plane, by Austin Meyer (http://www.x-plane.com/)

Shawn Coyle
20th Apr 2009, 20:28
heliman
X-plane may have great visuals, but the helicopter model has some serious issues - any movement of the cyclic causes huge changes in the torque/ manifold pressure, for example.
MD FS X is probably OK for piston engine helos, but won't properly model power limiting (by slowing the rotor down when you reach maximum power).
Both need large visuals and full size controls to really get to see the effects of controls, etc.

Hompy
20th Apr 2009, 21:40
Let me know when you get the 61 finished - I'll get one. There was a great bristow SAR61 for FS2004 made by one of the pilots I think but I can't find it now and it was not FSX compatible - Some key instruments didn't load. I'm sure with a little more knowhow it wouldn't be a massive job to convert from the 2004 model, or am I wrong?

Hompy

euroastar350
23rd Apr 2009, 03:08
I have FS2004 and FSX, but use FS2004 most as I am making these with other developers:ok:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/euroastar350/B212Alp.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/euroastar350/UHDG_B212V2.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/euroastar350/UHDG_BUH1H.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/euroastar350/Bell%20210/B210_OffshoreDitch.jpg

ChopperFAN
24th Apr 2009, 07:06
Nice, i like the Bell 210 model... U gotta let us know where they are avalible

Simon :ok:

Evanelpus
24th Apr 2009, 09:26
Looks like your AA is up the shoot in your second to last picture!

Shawn Coyle
24th Apr 2009, 12:18
Eurostar - how do you plan to get the pitot covers off the machine on floats???

206Fan
24th Apr 2009, 15:27
Shawn

Its prob animated to a certain key or they automatically appear on the pitot tubes when you shut the engines down. Justflights R44 has rotor tie downs animated to a certain key when you shut down. Thou eurostar will confirm when he comes back on the forum (god knows when)!

http://www.justflight.com/img/screenshots/200707616064861D3F-L.jpg

Simon

These models will be uploaded to hovercontrol.com when their finished.

Dave

ChopperFAN
25th Apr 2009, 08:45
Thanks Davy

I always keep an eye out for new aircraft, Ive had a try at making them and I totally suck... Lots of thanks to those who are successfull at it

:D

206Fan
25th Apr 2009, 17:36
This L2 is being modelled for FSX.

http://nemethdesigns.com/Pics/ec225_screens/ec225_01.jpg

pplh
26th Apr 2009, 11:17
Can't help with you queries Davy but just thought I'd say how promising your model looks, I'll definitely be looking to download it when its complete! Are you making any other models?

206Fan
26th Apr 2009, 12:02
Not mine PPL, i wish. I can model but nothing to that extent yet. One of the boys modelling the puma emailed me asking for some help so i said id ask on here for him to see could anyone help out.

Nemeth Designs Development Group - Main Page (http://www.nemethdesigns.com/)

pplh
2nd May 2009, 17:42
Thanks for the link Davy, I'm a big fan of Nemeth products, have the Bo-105, EC-135 and CH-53, definitely going to look into downloading any new products they develop
Cheers

206Fan
4th May 2009, 15:28
I hope you have sufficient cooling for your graphics card with them 2 monitors running. I have a 22inch (1920 x 1080) HD monitor, its enough for me :ok:

Senior Pilot
4th May 2009, 21:10
Ahhh.. but when it's all hosted somewhere else.. how can it hurt??
oh well.. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sowee.gif

Because it fills (and spills over) the screen of those without massive monitors. That sort of statement shows a certain lack of respect for other Rotorheads, IMHO :rolleyes:

paco
5th May 2009, 04:51
I have a project for a flight sim programmer - thinking of xplane with Linux but MS with Windoze will do. Please PM!

Phil

Helikopter
6th May 2009, 23:27
I´m looking for a site where I can find a good model of AS 332 for Flight Simulator X, I´m looking for a model with working autopilot and so on.

Regards.

Shawn Coyle
6th May 2009, 23:36
Good luck about the autopilot.

206Fan
6th May 2009, 23:37
Theres two models in the making. One payware, one freeware.

Freeware
FSX AS332L2 gmax model (http://www.dirkfassbender.de/fsx_as332l2_gmax_model.html)

Payware
Nemeth Designs Development Group - Eurocopter EC-225 Super Puma (http://nemethdesigns.com/ec225.html)

The freeware model isn't far off being released, not sure how long thou. It should have a AP.

Dave

206Fan
10th May 2009, 19:09
Just a heads up that the DODO sim 206 is released for FSX. Im hearing very good reports about it regarding the systems they have added.

dodosim.com, Ultimate helicopter add-ons (http://www.dodosim.com/)

heli1
11th May 2009, 08:23
Anyone going to the Sim event at The Helicopter Museum this weekend in Weston super mare ....pretty big event from what I see on their website.

G-BVNH
5th Nov 2009, 21:18
Hi all,
I need some help and some information on the S61N. I am currently programming an S61N flight model and panel for Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Here is a picture of my progress so far, everything you see has been programmed from scratch, and is fully operational (including the fuel panel):
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz32/Jetranger_206/S61_panel_051109.jpg

However i have now hit a bit of a brick wall in the design process. I am about to start programming the Caution and Warning panel, and the Advisory panel. However i have no pictures of them lit up (like when you press the 'test' button), so i have no idea what the warnings shown are, or what the causes of illumination are. I would very much appreciate any pictures of the panels fully lit up with all the warnings showing. I would also like to talk to someone who has access to an aircraft, and has some knowledge of it, as there may be other pictures that i may need in the future, and systems that i would like to talk through. I have talked to my dad who used to fly the S61N on the North Sea and Falklands with Bristows, but unfortuately he cannot remeber everything i need to know. I am planning to model as many of the systems as i can, and have the flight dynamics as accurate as possible. The aircraft we be available for free on the internet for everyone, just incase anyone here would like a go!
Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks alot,
Lucas

eivissa
6th Nov 2009, 08:18
I hope this is what you are looking for. Let me know if you need any other pictures of the flight manual.

Cheers,
eivissa

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1772/s61n01.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8251/s61n02.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7053/s61n03.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8905/s61n04.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9256/s61n05.jpg

G-BVNH
6th Nov 2009, 21:52
Hi eivissa,
thanks for the pictures and your help, these are exactly what i needed, i can crack on with the work now,
Thanks Alot!
Lucas

mgbaker
9th Nov 2009, 17:14
as a helicopter pilot with over 4500 in the full scale 407 and a simmer for the past two years (FSX w/acceleration) I personally would love a detailed 407 (mabe similar to the dodo 206) pop-out floats would be nice (once-upon a time I flew for Air Log). Anything I can do to help, just send me an e-mail.

Aussiecop
23rd Jul 2010, 02:35
I see this thread hasn't seen a lot of action, but since it's still around, I am the director of development for Nemeth Designs, we are doing a few helicopters this year that we are looking for info on, specifically the AW139 and Chinook are the next 2 for FSX so if any of you in the USA have any FOH's for either that you would like to share with us so we can aim for an accurate flight model please send me a PM or email me at [email protected]

1969shelby
24th Nov 2012, 23:37
I'm interested in rcommendations for home flight simulators, both hardware and software. I'm finding it difficult to make my decision based on what you see online, without actually trying them personally. Please include pros and cons. Thank you for your time.

paco
25th Nov 2012, 05:19
For software, Microsoft does the job very well. X-plane is OK but the cockpit pictures are not scaleable.

Depending on what you are doing, you don't necessarily need the latest or greatest version. You don't need a fast processor either, but it does like lots of memory, and if you get FS 2004 make sure you get all 4 discs - the fourth has to be in the CD drove and people often foget it's in there when they sell the computer.

Phil

belly tank
25th Nov 2012, 07:57
Try FSX(Microsoft flight sim x). Lots of Add ons and aircraft. I think it's a great aid and been using It for years.

Komodo01
25th Nov 2012, 08:59
Hi,

For the software it depends on what you want to use it for and what you want to get out of it. FSX has a lot more addons and a larger community following it, it also has more eye candy than X-Plane in the way of scenery, but X-Plane is certainly catching up in all respects. However the flight dynamics for helicopters is far superior in X-Plane than FSX. The way FSX is coded limits what can be done in trying to improve this. Also FSX is no longer being supported by Mircrosoft and it still has a lot of issues performance and setup wise, you will also need a powerful computer mainly a high end processor to run it with highish settings. X-Plane is constantly being updated and is always evolving and you will also need a fairly high spec system to run it. Both systems are 32bit ( X-Plane currently beta testing a 64bit system) so they won't use for the 4gb of memory.

The other one to look at is Prepar3d, this was Microsoft ESP which is the source code that FSX came from. Lockheed Martin has taken this on and is updating it and fixing all the issues that FSX has. Many of the addons that are for FSX have been re-released to work with P3D. There are various licenses that be bought to be able to run this software. Also as its a commercial bit of software it can be used in various levels of flight simulators.

As for actual controls and setups etc.. I've sent you a pm!!

Cheers

Komodo Simulations

FYR
25th Nov 2012, 11:41
I use Flight Simulator X, acceleration, and i think its pretty great!
The helicopters you get with the game are not that thrilling, but if you take a look at some of the add-ons you can buy/download, then it gets interesting :)

Take a look at Nemeth Designs (http://www.nemethdesigns.com/)

I use my four year old gaming machine, and as long as i keep the details at a reasonable level, it manages alright.

If you'd like to fly offshore, you can download oil platforms from The ODG Project - Creating realistic offshore related scenery Worldwide ! (http://www.fs-odg.com/)

The online part is nice as well, you choose a server and fly, if youre lucky you'll find a server with a decent ATC op, that just adds to the experience.

For controls i use the logitech G940 set with joystick, pedals and throttle, its excellent!

Happy flying!

Conex
3rd Feb 2013, 22:42
Hello Guys,

I´m new in this forum (at least for posting new stuff), i tried to find the best spot to this approach =) but don't know if this section is the correct.

Btw, I´m an x-plane developer and i´m working into a B3 helicopter for this sim, in the development i found that when a red caution turns on in the caution panel a Gong sound will play.

What i really would like to ask is, does anybody have that sound? i´m trying to find it, but as this is heard through the headphones i can't record it from any videos.

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Fred.

paco
4th Feb 2013, 05:29
It could be an unrelated windows error message.

If it's for X-Plane could I please ask you to make the cockpit scaleable with the screen resolution? Ta!! :)

Phil

apb
4th Feb 2013, 10:03
Come on Alfredo, don't be shy and put a video about your awesome work. Ok, I´ll do it for you ;)

Another day in development of AS350B3+ - YouTube

and from the cockpit:

Nemeth Designs & DreamFoil Creations - AS350B3+ Sound preview - YouTube

Conex
4th Feb 2013, 10:38
Thanks apb ^^

Was sleeping:zzz: while the question was made :8
Yes its exactly that one i´m working on, its actually a conversion i´m doing from Nemeth Designs from FSX to X-Plane.

@Paco, it will be a 3D cockpit so it inst resolution dependent, your problem is probably related to 2D panels, they can get weird if your resolution ratio is different from that panel was done.

I´m working to make it very realistic, already did a bunch of things including hydraulics, startup, sounds, etc also worked to get parameters and flight dynamics very accurate.

Its getting close to release, but i miss that sound i have no idea how the real sound is if i did i could synthesize something like:rolleyes:

Best Regards,
Fred.

paco
4th Feb 2013, 13:57
I hate 3D cockpits, tho :)

Phil

apb
4th Feb 2013, 14:56
Me too Phil, but sadly, this is the future in simulation and these days almost all designers do their products without 2D panels :(

Conex
4th Feb 2013, 15:17
Hey Guys,

2D panels may look better in some occasions, but for the simulation in general, sometimes you need to move around to access certain things, so its better to have a 3D cockpit, it will also make beginners used to position of controls and switches, something that most of times are wrong in a 2D cockpit due to limited view;) but i understand your points there.

Best Regards,
Fred.

agodesign
4th Feb 2013, 16:15
In the flight manual is says that: Low rotor RPM "Gong" is 310 Hz & Over limit "Gong" is 285 Hz.

I know nothing about sounds, I was just wondering if this would be enough info for you to synthesize the sound yourself.

If you can and post it maybe we can confirm it sounds the same.

Conex
4th Feb 2013, 17:10
Hello AgoDesign,

Actually this tone is the horn sound, you should hear it below 360rpm, over the limit by more than 1.5 seconds and also with rotor rpm higher than 410 (Intermitent tone).

My meaning is for Gong sound, you can listen to it during start while doing the fire test, or by rolling throttle from flight to idle position.

This sound seems to be related to AS350 that have VEMD, so i think B1 will not have this sound, only B2 and B3.

Its a hard sound to find, and i don't have access to any AS350 right now, i could move around to another city for such, but doing just for a gong sound don't worth to.

Thanks in advance,
Fred.

Seaking8959
16th Feb 2013, 01:27
Something I am working on...

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/425944_535016466512726_1820826598_n.jpg