PDA

View Full Version : PPL Price

Robo75
17th Feb 2008, 19:07
Hey all,
How much would you say each lesson for the PPL would usually cost including instructor, aircraft hire ect?
Cheers

IRISHPILOT
17th Feb 2008, 20:22
Back in Ireland: 130 Euro all incl. (club, not school),

here in PRG ca. 120 Euro all incl. (school).

not sure about UK prices.

really depends how many hours you want to do and where...

cheers IP

Whirlygig
17th Feb 2008, 20:31
It does depend on the aircraft. Best to ring a few schools and get an up to date price. Some publish their prices on their websites.

Cheers

Whirls

nick14
17th Feb 2008, 21:56
it will be around 100/130 pounds an hour depending on the size of the school and the type of aircraft.

not cheap admittedly but hey its flying!!!:}

TelBoy
17th Feb 2008, 23:20
Rates above seem cheap, but see exactley what an "hour" is. Some take the hobbs meter, some take flight + 5 or 10 mins each side etc. Also quality counts. Talk to students of the school and ask their progression.

Aircraft will also play a big role, a Cessna 152 is a lot cheapr than a PA28 for example. Choice of training AC at this time might also be dependant on what your final aims are.

In short look at the "total package" get what you need at the price you want. This forum is excellent at asking specific questions, so go find them questions and ask away to get the answers you need.

All the best for your flying.

CY333
18th Feb 2008, 07:11
In Cyprus they charge the same for a PA28 or a 152.
Best you call around and see what they offer,maybe speak to a few x-students if you can locate them.
It also deepents if you are going on you own (allready have PPL) or with an instructor.
You will find that the second otion costs more.

captainjono
18th Feb 2008, 11:41
Hi Robo75, I'd say reckon on anything up to £150 p/h (in the UK). :eek: Yes, it's a huge amount of money for most people, but I guarantee you'd be very hard pressed to find a pilot who didn't think it was worth it!!!

As suggested above, try to find a school which charges you a set taxi rate (ie. flying time + 10mins taxi or 0.2 tacho taxi) and not using hobbs time, or you get charged from the moment your engine is running! Not good when you're a learner with 'L' plates on!

Best of luck,

Robo75
18th Feb 2008, 18:26
hey fanks for your replies you've been a big help.
cheers

AIRWAY
18th Feb 2008, 19:42
How does £210 (all inclusive) pounds per hour sound...? :eek::ooh::uhoh::hmm:

It is from a well known flying school in the UK...

preduk
18th Feb 2008, 23:43
I'm currently paying £150 per year for membership, £8 per landing, £105 per hour and around £20 for the instructor for a Piper 28 Cherokee (Which I love! :D )

mcgoo
18th Feb 2008, 23:49
You also have the foreign option, it's about £4500 for a PPL course in Florida including night qualification and accommodation, visas etc.

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2008, 06:32
How does £210 (all inclusive) pounds per hour sound...? :eek::ooh::uhoh::hmm:
Not bad for an R22!

Cheers

Whirls

SparksFlyHigh
19th Feb 2008, 12:07
I would be careful saying the florida option is £4500 with all the additionals.

I think £6000 is probably a more reasonable figure, considering you will have to get checked out back over here and require perhaps a few hours with an instructor before they let you loose.

SparksFlyHigh
19th Feb 2008, 12:11
Im currently paying £150 p/h for a pa28 and instructor and then £10 landing fee.

And thats brakes off brakes on time. So i lose about 5-8 mins on the ground. (If i know the circuit is packed and that i will have to hold for a considerable amount of time i normally stay on the stand for a little while.

IRISHPILOT
19th Feb 2008, 13:45
SFH, R75 wants to go commercial, so he does not need a JAA PPL, nor does he need a checkout for 1500 GBP when back. - The US route will give him a free night rating, which he would need back here anyway, or the checkout over here can be done at night, giving him the night qualification with the checkout for free.

If however, for sentimental reasons, you want a JAA PPL, you can do it for well under 4000 GBP in JAA land (just not in the UK).

I would have thought that 210 is even steep for an R22, Whirls, Our students pay less for a multi engine fixed wing...

And there should be no landing fees for training (I have to admit, they now charge 80p at my local field too) :uhoh:

AIRWAY
19th Feb 2008, 14:14
I meant to say £210 for a PA28.

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2008, 14:15
I would have thought that 210 is even steep for an R22, Whirls, Our students pay less for a multi engine fixed wing...
No it isn't in the UK - just goes to show how much cheaper fixed wing is :}. Multi-engine helicopter in UK? About £1,000 an hour!!

Cheers

Whirls

CY333
19th Feb 2008, 14:24
210 for a PA38.
Thats a lot.
I pay 122 in Cyprus with an instructor but averything is expensive back home i guess

mcgoo
19th Feb 2008, 14:28
Sparksflighhigh
I would be careful saying the florida option is £4500 with all the additionals.

What additionals, flight about £350 if you shop around, about an hour to checkout with a UK club on return, the £4500 is for JAA PPL with night qual and all exams, test, visa costs and books, equipment and housing.

Xorthis
19th Feb 2008, 14:39
SFH, R75 wants to go commercial, so he does not need a JAA PPL, nor does he need a checkout for 1500 GBP when back.If he wants to go commercial in the UK then depending on what he wants to do he may need to hold a PPL+ATPLs already (with 150 hours total flying) or he'll have to do an intergrated course which makes doing the PPL first pointless (Though up to 45 hours can be credited to the CPL this way). Check out LASORS section D1. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf This describes what you need and what you will get :)

As for the cost, I live in the south of England and PPL lessons vary from £120-£150 in a PA28 or Cesna 152, with a whole bunch of other areoplanes inbetween. You'll also need to become a member at the flying club you train with, pay landing fees and also ground studies will be needed. (You don't need any instruction for this, just £100 for the books, then the CAA exam fees).

As for international costs... I'm going to enter into Cabair's pathfinder modular course and if I do my PPL+hour building in the UK it totals at about £25k, if I do it in florida over three months it's £12k. That's a PPL, Night rating and IMC rating, hour building to 150 total hours, accomidation, living costs and visa/plane tickets.

All this is assuming you're after a fixed wing licence, though above suggests it may be a helicoptor? Just add 50% to the hourly rates for that... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps ;)

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2008, 18:29
Just add 50% to the hourly rates for that... :rolleyes:
No, double the hourly rate depending on helicopter type! R22s are by the cheapest; an S300 C/CBi is nearer £300 an hour.

The op does not say which licence type he was after so I was just being helpful in case he meant helicopter!

In order to enrol on a JAA ATPL ground school course, the student need only possess an ICAO PPL, not a JAA one.

Cheers

Whirls

SparksFlyHigh
23rd Feb 2008, 14:08
Well i had a list somewhere because i flew out in October and visited a few schools.

Now, i flew there and back business class for about £78 or something. So i didnt even add in the cost of a flight there and back.

My figure was just shy of £6000 and that would land me back here with a JAA PPL persuming i did it in Florida and had a check ride here.