PDA

View Full Version : FAA v. JAA

IFREIWT
17th Feb 2008, 16:59
I have hared of people adding a FAA/IR to a JAA PPL is this possible?

TelBoy
17th Feb 2008, 23:26
Not possible. The UK CAA will however grant you an IMC rating on the back of an FAA IR so I understand. I will stand to be corrected on this as I have not done it myself.

In short FAA IR good on an FAA ticket on N reg.

I'll Be Realistic
18th Feb 2008, 03:49
If I remember correctly, when you have the FAA licence based on a JAA or any other foreign licence, the FAA logo in the top corner is black, not blue, meaning it has condition attached to it.

When this licence is issued, there will be a letter that accompanies it. This letter has a 6 month expiration. If you do a FAR 141 IR (not a part61) within this time frame, you can then add an the rating to your certificate.

If the letter has expired, then you will need to re-apply for a new letter from the FSDO.

This is from memory. Don't call a FSDO, because they know less about licencing than FCL at gatwick. You get a different answer depending on who you talk to.

Call a school, and ask them. They can always ask as DPE, who will be the issuer of you licence. Ok, they call it a temporary airman certificate, but it is more than a pass slip, it is the licence, and if yo have applied for the test through the new computer based program, there is no later option to deny it, lice the CAA can do.

So thats what I remember. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

IBR

B2N2
18th Feb 2008, 11:44
You can add a FAA IR to the US "restricted " license based on a foreign license.
It will read " US Instrument test passed".

When this licence is issued, there will be a letter that accompanies it. This letter has a 6 month expiration. If you do a FAR 141 IR (not a part61) within this time frame, you can then add an the rating to your certificate.

Close, it does not have to be a Part 141 Instrument rating.
However, Instrument training requires a M-1 visa and only 14 CFR Part 141 certified schools can issue the I-20, which is the form you need to go to the US embassy and apply for the visa.
It does not mean that you have to do your training part 141, it can be part 61.

Everything you do involving a foreign license needs to be accompanied by the letter of verification.
Read about it on the FAA website:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/