PDA

View Full Version : Puma Rotors Running Roll-Overs

roundwego
17th Feb 2008, 11:35
It would seem from pictures in other threads that there have been a fair number of Pumas that haven't been able to stay on their feet when on the ground.

Some have obviously been rolled when shut down and the wind has got under a blade and levered it over but there is also a disturbing number of events which have happened while rotors running.

There is a photo in the Bristow Photos thread of a Sealand Puma which was rotors running. There was a CHC one from Aberdeen which rolled over during a turnround on a rig west of Shetland. Bristows had one in Aberdeen a few years ago. Allegedly there was a VERY close shave at Aberdeen very recently. Anyone know of any more?

Brilliant Stuff
17th Feb 2008, 12:32
The Rig Puma fell over because the rig they landed on was half a boat which then repositioned out of wind for the puma coupled with a swell the puma fell over. Unlucky set of circumstances came together at the wrong time of things. This is all I seem to remember.

northseaspray
17th Feb 2008, 13:00
In springtime last year in Bergen, we're waiting for taxi clearence as a Norsk L2 rolls up to the spot in front of us, his nosewheel goes 90 degrees in a thight left turn, and oops, suddenly the left main wheel is airborne, really scary. Similar episode happened a couple of months earlier, according to two of my colleagues who witnessed that one.

The copilots in Norsk are not allowed to taxi, so I guess the captains where on the controls on both occasions.

carholme
17th Feb 2008, 13:41
roundwego;

Just to set things straight, the 332C in the Sealand photo was a parked aircraft, definitely not "rotors running".

Let's try and keep the facts straight.

carholme

Droopy
17th Feb 2008, 14:20
Carholme, are you sure? there's a remarkable amount of blade damage for a parked rollover.

carholme
17th Feb 2008, 14:30
Droopy;

The helicopter was parked and was caught in the midst of a violent wind, with associated dramatic water spouts. This obviously caused rotation of the rotor which contributed to the damage but they were not running as in "rotors running with power on". I flew to the site for recovery and after setting it on its' gear again, it was lashed down and the ship returned to Nfld., where the a/c was declared a writeoff. It was the only C model we had.

carholme

Mattyf
17th Feb 2008, 14:34
The Shetland incident was on a windy day with an empty Puma - they are very top heavy and have a penchant for doing this. The airport - Scatsta - is also notorious for it's unusual crosswinds, the airstrip is mostly cut out of rock and the final layout was more or less dictated by geology rather than design, which obviously wouldn't have helped the situation. I have a link to the photos of the recovery operation of anyone would like to see.

3D CAM
17th Feb 2008, 15:18
Mattyf.
Yes please, post the link. Does it show a red faced Ch. Eng.?:)

Mattyf
17th Feb 2008, 15:32
Here it is, there were a few more pics but they must have removed them (I haven't visited there for a while);

http://www.rigg-access.com/wwwboard/album_showpage.php?pic_id=795

Bootneck
17th Feb 2008, 15:51
I seem to remember TY loosing a Super Puma in Newcastle as it was being pushed into the 'safety' of a shed one dark and mad evening. Not his fault, the aircraft was attached to a tractor if memory serves. Narrow wheelbase, high CofG voila, as they say in Bergen. :)

roundwego
17th Feb 2008, 16:46
Carholme, I am sorry I got that one wrong but the way the blades have shattered it looks typical of high energy impact. It must have been one hell of a storm.

Hippolite
17th Feb 2008, 21:25
Bootneck

You are right, I believe it was G-TIGL. When towing a 332L in strong winds, it always a good idea to open the main cabin doors, it seems to minimise this sort of mishap

Helioil
18th Feb 2008, 11:15
Northseaspray are you sure about this:

In springtime last year in Bergen, we're waiting for taxi clearence as a Norsk L2 rolls up to the spot in front of us, his nosewheel goes 90 degrees in a thight left turn, and oops, suddenly the left main wheel is airborne, really scary. Similar episode happened a couple of months earlier, according to two of my colleagues who witnessed that one.

The copilots in Norsk are not allowed to taxi, so I guess the captains where on the controls on both occasions.

The only company that operates the L2 in Bergen is CHC.
The only type Norsk operate in Bergen is the S-92, before that that 332L`s and L-1`s. The 92`s must have been there for a few years now???

Just asking since you are refering to something that should have happend several times:-)

northseaspray
18th Feb 2008, 14:02
The only company that operates the L2 in Bergen is CHC.
The only type Norsk operate in Bergen is the S-92, before that that 332L`s and L-1`s. The 92`s must have been there for a few years now???

Just asking since you are refering to something that should have happend several times:-)

Norsk used to have Pumas in Bergen when the S-92 was AOG, and the only incidents I've heard about, are those I referred to.. :-)