PDA

View Full Version : The varying standard of RAF landies

Gainesy
16th Feb 2008, 10:13
Used to have a really good brand new SII Lightweight at Wittering, but the SIII at Honington was a real basketcase. Leaked everything, everywhere. Still, better than the mini van whose gearstick fell off, halfway to Colt.

oldpinger
16th Feb 2008, 10:30
Now there was this RAF metro that used to get airborne regularly on the drive from Linton to Topcliffe each morning with the duty student driving and a terrified Met/ATC person on board.
Heard someone on a later course put it in a ditch......:}

Also had a RN landy break down on me on a Florida freeway (on a PX run from the ship of course)- bit scary really, a couple of blokes in whites standing around waiting for a tow in a Very rough (we thought) part of downtown Miami :eek:

OK, I bit- fair cop, just realized the origin of this thread maybe this one will last more than three pages...:D

Tiger_mate
16th Feb 2008, 11:45
How long before we have a thread on station bikes?

Jackonicko
16th Feb 2008, 12:30
Wasn't that the one about the one-eyed fish gutter that someone locked?

In RAFG in the late 60s my Dad's staff car was a rather natty Mini Cooper, with external door hinges and vertically split sliding front windows.

BEagle
16th Feb 2008, 13:16
When I was S/L Air at Base Aerea Gringo, Islas Malvinas, I was determined NOT to perpetutate the myth that 'the staff always get the best LRs'....

So my dear old heap was the worst there was - you could see daylight through the door hinges. After coaxing the old pig into life, it had to run for a couple of minutes before it would move off without stalling. It would do about 40 flat out - but if you changed up it couldn't cope with any sort of a headwind, but actually slowed down.

But then again, who needs to go anywhere in a hurry in Bennyland?

Some utter fool negotiated a contract which said that for the first 3 years of the contract period, any 'new' LRs were only allowed to be used on-road. A LandRover which couldn't go off road - that's almost as daft as the Harrier GR5 which was the only bomber not allowed to drop bombs!

Dan Winterland
16th Feb 2008, 14:46
Who needs to go fast in Bennyland? This guy though he had to!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/oops.jpg

It's OC1312's 'rover embedded in the accommodation block after he foolishly lent it to a Guards rupert called Giles (of course!). Giles had to miss his Timmy home while the BOI was convened. When it appeared he might miss another, he went into MT control and wrote a cheque for a new one. He could afford it as he owned most of Berkshire!

For some reason, the 1312 QRA 'rover was the crappiest on the island, whereas OC Admin had the best. That was until OC Ops had to explain to CFBFFI that the QRA launch was delayed one day because the VC10 crew had to call out MT to jump start their 'rover before they could scramble. Then we got OC Admin's! :D

ScapegoatisaSolution
16th Feb 2008, 15:41
When I was down south in 02/03 there was a proposal to replace all Land Rovers with Citreon Berlingos. Apparently the bean counters back in the UK decided Land Rovers were too expensive and the Berlingo was a cost effective solution to driving in the FI. Obviously the beanies had never been to the FIs and driven there as the cars would have been shaken to bits on the first run to Stanley. Can anyone confirm this proposal was consigned to File 13?

Al R
16th Feb 2008, 15:45
I found that with the Landies, the later models weren't as good at negotiating rough terrain - something about problems with the chassis as I recall. Also, the fact they didn't require so regular servicing meant they tended to stay all together in the garage and not as inclined to be used as intended.

L J R
16th Feb 2008, 16:18
....and here is me thinking this would be a stealth version of the recently closed thread on RAF Ladies...

goudie
16th Feb 2008, 16:45
....and here is me thinking this would be a stealth version of the recently closed thread on RAF Ladies

Weren't Ladies, who drove Landies, of varying standards though?

Al R
16th Feb 2008, 16:48
What if they were loadies too? :oh:

goudie
16th Feb 2008, 17:06
Well Ladies who are Loadies could well be qualified as well as Laddies who are Loadies to drive Landies that needs loading.

Al R
16th Feb 2008, 17:07
.. and if they're lardies too?? :eek:

sarsteph
16th Feb 2008, 19:56
ScapegoatisaSolution

The real plus with the Berlingos is that on the really windy days (most of the time!), when opening a normal car door could be virtually fatal, you can open the sliding back door without risking having your arm ripped out its socket and climb over the front seats!

peterperfect
16th Feb 2008, 21:05
LJR. No, this can't be the ladies thread: on RAF landies you have to check the webbing is secure before use and make sure all flanges are free from corrosion.

Dan D'air
17th Feb 2008, 10:38
There are few things worse than having a rusty flange. Indeed, one could find oneself loaded onto a landie and then possibly lorded over by a lardy lady loadie whilst travelling back to la la land.

Sgt.Slabber
17th Feb 2008, 11:19
Coningsby Dumpies SWB Petrol - 1987-91.

Heading for the Dump on the Langrick Road just after the old level crossing with 3 in front and 6 squashed in the back - overtaken by a Reliant Robin. I was in the back, can't remember who the driver was but I don't think he ever lived it down.

Tourist
17th Feb 2008, 21:36
Reading Pprune Feb 2008

Some bloke called Sgt.Slabber told least interesting anecdote in forum history.
Don't think he'll ever live it down

africacorps
17th Feb 2008, 23:42
Can remember a Flt.Sgnt slowing me down on runway inspection at Odiham (1969) by pulling on handbrake, oops another half shaft gone,he was Irish tho` won`t comment on `three BELLS pub` at crash gate three after said inspection,ah Steve Creagh I think ;)

cornish-stormrider
18th Feb 2008, 11:19
I remember shandy idiot trying to move an 11 sqn has with the line armourers 90. bent the chassis. we went on a course to cott and he was pulled out with a "now is a time to come to Jesus conversation" with the wobbly. said rover would crab down the road at about 30 degrees.