PDA

View Full Version : Constant Angle of Attack vs Constant Mach No.

Dagger
16th Feb 2008, 00:05
Hi all.

The operation I work for uses constant angle of attack cruise, with reducing mach no. for any given en route step climb altitude. I assumed this was the optimum way to fly the A/C as part of a normal step climb profile, but have been told by someone who claims to be in the know that Boeing recommends a constant mach no. for any given altitude, with angle of attack reducing with decreasing weight.

I thought that constant AOA would provide the most optimum wing/body angle for the best efficiency. The only thing I can think of is that given we are 1000ft off our optimum altitude at the start of any level step, then the AOA would be slightly above the optimum and thus if maintained would always be less than ideal. Whereas a decreasing AOA would account for this.

Would appreciate if any of you smart people out there could help enlighten me about this one.

Thanks.

Intruder
16th Feb 2008, 08:24
Newer FMS-driven airplanes are, in general, capable of flying constant AOA (or very close) using the ECON cruise setting. ECON also adjusts for head/tail wind to dynamically adjust the speed.

However, constantly changing speed is not always conducive to good relationships with ATC, so constant-Mach cruise is more common.

Dagger
16th Feb 2008, 21:13
Thanks for the info intruder.

I should have indicated in my first post that it was for any given constant cost index, with the decreasing mach no. occurring in very small increments.

Thanks again.

Dagger.