PDA

View Full Version : psychometric testing

kirkegaard
15th Feb 2008, 14:50
Hi,
I have been offered a job here in Namibia. But to get it I have to pass some psychometric testing.
Does anybody know how to prepare for a thing like that.... Is there a website or some other way to prepare for these tests?
I have no idea what these tests are like!

Cheers

line-driver
15th Feb 2008, 15:11
you cant prepare for these tests, you have to honestly be yourself, thats all, the test will show very quickly if you have tried to cheat, or answer the questions the way the bosses would like you to answer.

The only real preparation is to do some IQ tests online to get an idea of some of the test they might throw at you.

jagunmolu
15th Feb 2008, 15:56
CAN YOU PREPARE TO GO CRAZY?BE YOURSELF AND BE HONEST PERIOD.:cool:

Gooneybird
15th Feb 2008, 16:02
Someone tried to test me once; I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti:}

Seriously. Try the same people who run CRM courses in SA. Some used to be involved in such testing and may be able to help.

Best of luck.

MacBoero
15th Feb 2008, 16:13
I've done one in Brazil and there is nothing really to revise for.

Three parts...

Part One

Short interview : Only thing is to be honest.

Part Two

Multiple Choice Questions : Lots of Mensa like, "Which is the odd one out?", "Which of these is the next one in the sequence?" type questions, using strange geometric shapes.

Part Three

Hand/Eye Coordination Tests : A series of test cards, where you have a pencil in one or other hand, and sometimes both hands, and have to follow either a line on the card, or start copying a pattern repeatedly. You'll do the first few seconds able to see the card, then your view of the card will be blocked.

That's it, can take up to about 2 hours.

chuks
15th Feb 2008, 16:35
The so-called Stanine test asks you questions such as: Would you rather wash wounded soldiers or teach young children to sing? Try to get your mind around that one! You are a person who likes your mother better than your father but you love both parents and you had a happy childhood in a small town, even if in real life you are a crack-head hubcap thief who was expelled for burning down the orphanage to cover up stealing drugs from the dispensary.

There is another similar one called the MMPS, I think. They have in-built checks to try and catch you b.s.-ing the test so that you might as well play it as straight as you think advisable. If you are not what they are looking for, so be it; you would probably be unhappy and just waste everyone's time if given the job.

Schreiner used some stuff such as: Draw a person. (You make a sketch.) Is that a man or a woman? (You say "It is a man," for instance.) Now draw a woman.

Draw a wish tree.

Draw a dream tree.

Draw a fantasy tree.

The headshrinker pulls out a set of Rorschach cards, the "ink blots". They all looked like variations on the theme of "vagina" to me, so this one was a butterfly, that one was a dragon, another was a bunny... I just picked the most boring and innocuous things I could think of.

That guy kept sending total bozos to Nigeria, actually, along with others who managed to fit in and get some work done. I don't know southern Africa but Nigeria used to send some guys potty, so that they were trying to screen people first.

Go to the library and read some "Psychology" reference texts to get an idea of what you might be facing.

Sir Osis of the river
15th Feb 2008, 17:06
Try the Quantas website.

They used to have, (don't know if still there), a few sample tests available. they were pretty standard and of the type a lot of airlines use.

Good Luck

Beechdrivr
15th Feb 2008, 17:28
Yip Sir Osis they still do, had a look at them the other day. Although they aren't the full test, just sample tests it is basically what you'll get in most of the newer generation psych tests... must admit have done some and have never gotten the Stanine test.:ooh:

Basically, just be honest and you'll be fine.

Let me guess, the only charter operator that would make you do psychos in Nam other than the airline themselves (Air Nam), has got to be the Westair crowd:hmm:... whatever floats their boat i suppose:E

Well good luck

Safe flying:ok:
BD

Captain_djaffar
15th Feb 2008, 17:56
one of the best psychometric tests is the Thinking skills subject...which Cambridge offer at As and A level.infact it is a subject that is based entirely at logic stuff.search for some past exam papers on their official website.

theBOSS
15th Feb 2008, 22:12
Google: d-constantine-simms

kirkegaard
16th Feb 2008, 11:59
Hi everybody... thanks for all the comments. I have tried to find a website where I can prepare online however, its difficult finding a website that does not cost like 200 punds....
Any suggestions?

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Feb 2008, 12:14
Yes.

Calm down....

Shrike200
16th Feb 2008, 15:32
Yes. The only possible reason for 'preparing' for a test designed to evaluate your personality characteristics is for the purposes of defeating the whole point of the test. You are who you are.

SRT (wise, as ever) said it best: Calm down.

kirkegaard
16th Feb 2008, 16:39
okay... I just thought it also was a lot of tests with calculation and so forth. Like cordination and reaction time, also a kind of IQ tests.... Those things u can in some way inprove...
You are right. One can't change the person you really are.....

Shrike200
17th Feb 2008, 15:40
On second thought, the phrase 'psychometric tests' can simply mean tests designed to quantify anything to do with your mind. Hence, IQ/EQ, spacial perception tests etc could be thrown in along with what most pilots commonly think of as 'psychometric tests' (ie the 'personality test' part). So, in retrospect, perhaps I shouldn't have been so flippant in my retort. Those things can be practiced and improved upon, you're right Kirkegaard.