PDA

View Full Version : JAA type ratings (non-JAA instruction?)

Sam Rutherford
15th Feb 2008, 14:10
Hi,

I would like to add some type ratings to a JAR PPL H.

The (minimum) requirement is 5 hours of instruction on type. Can this be done in the US by an FAA CFI?

TSA and visa may or may not be an issue, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for any answers, Sam.

Helinut
15th Feb 2008, 15:10
Nope. Not unless the FAA instructor is also JAA rated, and the school he trains at has a JAA TRTO. The vast majority won't be but one or two may be.

longtime lurker
15th Feb 2008, 15:54
Bristow Academy is the only school located outside of the JAA states which can train for JAA type ratings. Their approval is only for the R22, H269 and B206.

I may be wrong, but I believe that their instructors do not have to hold a JAA FI rating.

TorqueStripe - it should have only been 5 hrs and 3 hrs, not 5 hrs on each. You could also have got the Head of Training to apply for a reduction on the basis of your previous experience.

HOVERJOCKI
15th Feb 2008, 18:09
I'm curious to know if anyone can help.... i am British but flown all my time over here in the states, i have 7000+ hrs covering all types of flying and i wasn't sure if any of my hours would be carried over to change to the CAA commercial license. I've heard that my license isn't worth the paper it's printed on in the UK and that i would have to do 800hrs of ground school and 16 written exams.
If anyone could shed some light on this just to give me an idea that would be great.
Cheers

VeeAny
15th Feb 2008, 18:20
There is a number of flight hours on type which the UK CAA will accept as enough experience to only need a flight test for the issue of a JAA type rating.

Its in the region of 400-500 hours on type.

HoverJockI
One of the guys on here has about 24000 hrs with about 18000 on helicopters and he had to jump through that same set of ridiculous hoops we all did.

I can see the point for testing ab-initio students the way we do, but when you consider the experience of some people, national or international Air Law should be enough, or maybe a special examination based upon yoiur own personal experience.

There is no common sense in most of the licensing requirements for experienced pilots IMHO. Why make it easier for them when difficult will do.

GS

longtime lurker
15th Feb 2008, 18:43
HOVERJOCKI
I suggest you download a copy of LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf) from the CAA site which attempts to explain the licensing requirements. You will probably want to start in Section D4.5 page 24.

Essentially, you will need to sit 13 written exams if you want theory credits for an ATPL, or 9 for a CPL. It will then be 'training as required' by the Head of Training of the school you decide to train with followed by a flight test. You will also need a JAA medical.

VeeAny
I'm not sure that would work for an FAA licence as they do not have type ratings for smaller types. Therefore, the CAA would probably have a restrictive reading of this:

F9.1 TRANSFER OF TYPE/CLASS RATINGS FROM A NON-JAA STATE LICENCE

Type Ratings

(Aeroplane/Helicopter)

A type rating endorsement on a licence issued by a non-JAA State may be transferred to a UK issued pilot’s licence, subject to:-

i. 500 hours flying experience as pilot on type, operating as P1 or P2 appropriate to the rating required (PUT time may not be counted).
ii. Operational experience as pilot on type within the preceding 5 years.
iii. Pass a Proficiency Check on type with a JAA Authorised Examiner.
iv. Have met the requirements of JAR-FCL 1.250/2.250, 1.251 and 2.255 as applicable, including knowledge of aeroplane performance appropriate to that type (please refer to Section F4 - Knowledge of Aeroplane Performance).

VeeAny
15th Feb 2008, 18:49
LL

Perhaps so but I found at about it from a CAA employed FE, so I guess they would accept it. I believe its on the basis of experience on the type recorded in the pilots personal flying logbook.

Although I agree with you if you read it literally based upon your quote from LASORS.

Cheers

GS