PDA

View Full Version : The varying standard of RAF ladies

FirstFiveEighth
15th Feb 2008, 08:51
I attended a (very enjoyable) function at a certain large, secret, midlands airbase last month. All good fun, with lots of ex-chums around. However, and ever-so-slightly tongue in cheek:-

What struck me was the comparison of today's "ladies" with the ones I remember from the 60's and 70's. I'm sure I detect a certain dumbing down in this area. We had the odd Penny Dread-Full and a couple of, er, bottom feeders, but most were girls and ladies who could turn a few heads, with personalities to match.

I know it's not gallant to state explicitly, but based on last month's do, and the odd mess visit, there seems to have been a gradual and relative decline in standards in this area. Most attached and unattached females seem to conform to the Comprehensive School model rather than the pre-Sloane/private school types I remember, again with the personalities to match.

Is this, as I suspect, just a reflection of society in general, or is it that the "gentlemen" are in the same boat and choose a like-minded partner? Whatever, it does seem to make for a more boring mess life!

Fg Off Max Stout
15th Feb 2008, 09:57
You're on dangerous ground here. I give this thread about 24 hours tops.

Whilst the non-PC 'get your knickers on and make me a cup of tea' side of my personality longs to make a facetious remark and cheap joke the rational side must object to a rather ungentlemanly dig on your part. Perhaps these days ladies are recruited to the RAF based on their ability to do the job of an RAF Officer rather than the job of a catwalk model. Of course I know many who excel in both areas and a few who can do neither but I won't name names.

I don't think our WRAFs would be to impressed to be told that to be successful they have to be 'pretty little things' and provide eye candy to crusty old warhorses who long for the RAF of the 70s, nylon thunderbirds jackets et al.

Mr-Burns
15th Feb 2008, 09:57
More to the point - what are they doing out of the kitchen in the first place ???

FFE - I bet you wear a cravat and / or smoking jacket. I think you'll find that most of us dont care what our female colleagues look like as long as they can do the job. I feel that, with climate change approaching fast, dinosaurs like yourself will not be around for long.

Al R
15th Feb 2008, 10:06
I think you'll find that most of us dont care what our female colleagues look like..

:eek:........................

Mr-Burns
15th Feb 2008, 10:07
My God - what was I thinking?????? Sorry everyone.

Safety_Helmut
15th Feb 2008, 10:14
Priceless.

I bet you're the sort who still likes to be referred to by their old rank when down at the local golf club with your chums. The Major from Fawlty Towers springs to mind.

Boldface
15th Feb 2008, 10:22
I suspect that FFE is primarily referring to wives/partners and is either an exceptionally ignorant dinosaur or is just fishing. If he is genuine, thank god we only have to entertain people like that in the Mess infrequently for reunions.

Chicken Leg
15th Feb 2008, 10:37
I think you'll find that most of us dont care what our female colleagues look like as long as they can do the job

No, course not!

Mr-Burns
15th Feb 2008, 10:39
I said I was sorry. :sad:

RobinXe
15th Feb 2008, 10:41
FFE, how dreadful that the girls the chaps choose to spend their time/lives with are not up to your standards.

I would have thought, looking rearwards with your rose-tinted specs, that you might remember a time where gentlemen considered discretion the better part of valour.

L Peacock
15th Feb 2008, 10:48
come on ladies, there's got to be scope for an antithesis thread here. :E

Admin_Guru
15th Feb 2008, 10:52
He may be a Troll, but he has a fair point.

In the days of WRAF there were many more babes then Hippogorillamoussepig.

The demise of 'WRAF' with their little hostie hats did much more then make everybody look the same.

<Takes PC Pill>

Time for an EO Course refresher

Unless he is talking about Domestic Leaders in which case he needs to clean the lenses on the rose tinted glasses.

Mr C Hinecap
15th Feb 2008, 10:57
"I say, chaps - there is nothing wrong with a dashing young fellow wanting a trim little craft to have on his arm and look pretty for him is there? I mean - they all join the RAF to marry a pilot after all, don't they? What the bally hell is this man's Air Force coming to if it is any different?"

http://www.wyclifferotary.org.uk/images/Misc/Whittle.jpg

Al R
15th Feb 2008, 11:04
I wonder if the red misted posters who are queuing up to have a go at the wonderfully anachronistic ("and ever-so-slightly tongue in cheek") FirstFiveEighth, will join in the clamour to get the leadership, mail, pay and admin sorted out too? But in all fairness to him, he didn't have a go at their ability to do their job (which I am sure is fantastic), merely their looks. And lets face it, there are some double baggers about.

RobinXe
15th Feb 2008, 11:15
Perhaps you should read again, Al R. Do you happen to know what a "comprehensive school personality" is? I'm sure I don't!

Al R
15th Feb 2008, 11:20
Robin,

I had one - I should know! Would that give me added credibility? And anyway, whats wrong with a 'comprehensive school personality'? Are you really being bigoted and so discriminatory, or do my eyes deceive me? :eek:

I know too, when I see someone having a chuckle. But at the risk of losing sight of the humour value here (if its still allowed of course).. is not discrimination a principle anymore, or does it only apply to those things in our workplace? I mean, not much scope for ageism in a military.. perhaps we should include it as part of an arrival briefing. It seems the need has been identified.. ;)

with climate change approaching fast, dinosaurs like yourself will not be around for long.

crusty old warhorses who long for the RAF of the 70s, nylon thunderbirds jackets et al.

RobinXe
15th Feb 2008, 11:34
Again, should you re-read the original post, you would see that a "comprehensive school personality" is another slight the poster makes against the ladies in question, thus not "merely" judging their looks.

I do not judge "comprehensive school" anything to prejudice it's value, but you'll notice the OP associates it with "a decline". It does not require a brain the size of a planet to deduce it was meant in a disparaging manner.

Could it be that whilst you are vociferously defending the OP's choice to be discourteous to mess guests, you have not actually read and digested his post in full? Have another crack.

sikeano
15th Feb 2008, 11:37
Women circa 60's in RAF
http://www.willhiggs.co.uk/dundee/6_WRAF_Woodhaven.jpg

Women Circa Now ish

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/950000/images/_952421_military150.jpg

Of course One has to take into account of FFE's Eye sight into account before we judge her (toungue in Cheek ):ok:

I bet FFE never met anything like this :phttp://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_01/noseart5DM0506_468x312.jpg

noregrets
15th Feb 2008, 12:11
Gentlemen, whether the remark was 'tongue in cheek' or not is irrelevant - as we all know, the sad fact of life these days is that what matters is how the remark can be perceived, rather than how it's intended. And for as much as it irks me, there are many who would take umbrage with what I consider are the OP's droll observations.

(Chinecap, when are you going to return my greatcoat?) ;)

6foottanker
15th Feb 2008, 12:13
This do wasn't by any chance at a blunty mess was it? Just wondering, standards are still ok in my mess...

:ouch:

Tiger_mate
15th Feb 2008, 12:22
Into the 70's with the WRAF
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2298/2267039562_40ae398470_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2293/2267039754_99d51bd8a5_o.jpg

Top one is SR Ops at Wyton, the bottom ones are at Akrotiri.

Tiger_mate
15th Feb 2008, 12:31
Meanwhile the chaps were having top fun whizzing around the skies in their new F4. Iraq & Afghanistan were.... well they were not really!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/2266265407_96f8d5e3f6_o.jpg

noregrets
15th Feb 2008, 12:39
Re the Wyton SR Ops pic - rank slides? Epaulettes? Civvy???

MaxReheat
15th Feb 2008, 12:45
'Bog Standard Comprehensive' = 'Bog Standard Individual' = 'Bog Standard Officer' = 'Bog Standard Royal Air Force'; Is 'Bog Standard' a good enough standard for holders of HM's commission or is something extra, that little 'je ne sais pas', desirable? Discuss.

teeteringhead
15th Feb 2008, 12:46
Not civvy - I vaguely remember the "rig" as uniform. 'Twas light blue with a darker blue edge on the collar - just discernable. Can't think of the lack of rank tho' ...

..... thinking cap on over the weekend....:confused:

role is great
15th Feb 2008, 13:01
cant remember exactley when,either early 80s as SAC or late 80s as JT, but going to clothing stores for initial issue of rank slides. Up till then only rank badges for lowly airmen/women were cloth squares on flasher mac ,Thunderbird jacket ,No1s and tropical dress as above(not that I had one)
Role is great

BEagle
15th Feb 2008, 13:15
Comments on contemporary pulchritude do go against the spirit of EO, I consider. To discuss them in a public forum is inappropriate and this thread should be closed.

Although the thought of an officer having attended a comprehensive school? Good grief......:eek:

TheWizard
15th Feb 2008, 13:40
Doesn't seem to be a 'problem' anywhere else!! :ok:
http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/category/100470_1.html

http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/8180.jpg:}

Cim Jartner
15th Feb 2008, 13:51
I think he was asking to see her "Rank Slides" not "Rank Wives"!!!!

noregrets
15th Feb 2008, 13:53
Isn't that Janice Battersby from Corrie?

(showing my Comprehensive roots now :eek:)

bayete
15th Feb 2008, 14:02
Perhaps this would be more to FFE's taste.
http://www.kathywest.com/media/large_images/kmc020.jpg

Bo Nalls
15th Feb 2008, 14:50
Hmmm... this thread has shades of that all-time classic thread from 2003 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86979&highlight=leuchars+wives)

brakedwell
15th Feb 2008, 15:25
Happiness is a dinosaur with pleasant memories! :cool::cool::cool:

AIDU
15th Feb 2008, 15:31
Isn't that Janice Battersby from Corrie?

Looks like a grenade to me.:8

timex
15th Feb 2008, 15:31
Wonder what would have happened if you had said that thought out loud? Seems strange that you would only mention it on an anonymous forum.

L Peacock
15th Feb 2008, 16:01
Oh god, Admin_Guru, you aren't Admin Guru are you?

engineer(retard)
15th Feb 2008, 16:06
I guess the military went downhill when you had to be selected and then earn your commission instead of buying it.

Yarpy
15th Feb 2008, 16:17
Perhaps these days ladies are recruited to the RAF based on their ability to do the job of an RAF Officer rather than the job of a catwalk model.

What a boring man you are. When I was in the RAF we always welcomed a pretty face in the Mess. It boosted morale. Pretty women who are crap at their jobs can excel in other areas you know!

By the way, I remember a thoroughly dull holding post that was livened up by OC PMS who put in a call to Barnwood for a couple of Pilot Officers to liven the place up.

Understanding sort of chap!

brakedwell
15th Feb 2008, 16:27
Standards weren't very high in the fifties! I remember a one eyed fish gutter from Grimsby, who always won the Saturday night grimmy competition at Strubby - until she was disqualified for being too ugly! :E :eek:

AIDU
15th Feb 2008, 16:29
I remember a one eyed fish gutter from Grimsby, who always won the Saturday night grimmy competition at Strubby -

Ahh, how is the lovely Mrs Brakedwell?;)

goudie
15th Feb 2008, 16:36
I believe FFE has made a valid point re the current attractiveness of women. I've just been into Town and my God there were some bloody awful looking females around. IMHO they don't seem to care about their appearance anymore. Mind you the blokes weren't much better. The majority of people dress in a slovenly manner these days.
I blame Matalan & Tescos et al

Ahh, how is the lovely Mrs Brakedwell?;)

I never praise you AIDU but that was one of your better responses
[/QUOTE]

Safety_Helmut
15th Feb 2008, 16:37
Ahh, how is the lovely Mrs Brakedwell?
Ouch ! :uhoh:

Maple 01
15th Feb 2008, 16:48
You're in this game to do the job not shag your work colleagues

Speak for your self

......not worrying about than the aesthetic qualities of its female members

Now I know the old firm's going to hell in a handcart!

Fire 'n' Forget
15th Feb 2008, 16:49
Maybe we should all relocate to Aalborg..................................FFE would be veryhappy. :oh:

goudie
15th Feb 2008, 17:01
Aalborg..................................Did a detachment there in 19... don't ask, can't remember. The Danes were celebrating anniversary of their WWll Liberation at the time and they really knew how to show their appreciation.

Maple 01
15th Feb 2008, 17:21
JPA? No, that's all part of the new low-fat no-humour RAF Lite you seem to be embracing (rather than the cute Medic at ***)

Lafyar Cokov
15th Feb 2008, 17:29
You're in this game to do the job not shag your work colleagues

Exactly - that's the job of senior officers!!!!!

brakedwell
15th Feb 2008, 17:39
Ahh, how is the lovely Mrs Brakedwell?

Still covered in batter! :E

blue monday
15th Feb 2008, 17:43
From my experience based on a short service life of 6.5 yrs (cue the get some time in retorts) I found that in their early years the female members of the RAF were all rather cute and sexy, the good ones got themselves a pilot or an officer after sampling the regiment ;) then the ones left seemed to let themselves go.

Equally, to not be accused of being sexist, many time served males also let themselves go as the effects of too many chips, no compulsory fitness and too much beer takes its toll and they usually can't pass a fitness test.

But hey where would we be without stereo types to create some good old banter with.

TheInquisitor
15th Feb 2008, 17:45
FFS, guys, lighten up! Let's face it, the mess is a much brighter place when there's some hot totty lining the bar. I like looking at attractive women when inebriated, and so do you, so stop pretending otherwise.

All the EO-awareness training in the world wil not make an ugly bird look attractive.

blue monday
15th Feb 2008, 17:51
All the EO-awareness training in the world wil not make an ugly bird look attractive Half a dozen pints down the NAAFI does though

Thobe Gutra
15th Feb 2008, 17:58
The man has a point.............. young officers should be able to attract some good looking intelligent 'other halves'......... The uk is increasingly full of 'whoppers' of generous dimensions........YES!....lets have a few more good looking girls with good brains in the O's mess. ah thank you :ok:

Thobe Gutra
15th Feb 2008, 18:11
To be fair the man has a point.... the uk seems to be full of 'whoppers' these days.........lets have a few more good looking girls at mess do's please. Hooorah!

http://www.strangemilitary.com/content/item/134561.html

uknasa
15th Feb 2008, 18:30
All the EO-awareness training in the world wil not make an ugly bird look attractive.

But 4 months in FI does :}

On_The_Top_Bunk
15th Feb 2008, 19:05
Wasn't there a Tristar announcement on the PA as it was once leaving the FI?

Something about the not so attractive ladies not being beautifull anymore.

Unfortunatelly OC Admin (a female) was onboard.

Tiger_mate
15th Feb 2008, 19:43
Wasn't there a Tristar announcement

The old ones are the best ones......

But perhaps not in the context of the thread subject matter. :E