PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(A) to ATPL(H) theory

miket_68
14th Feb 2008, 22:07
All

I am currently 1/2 way through MOD 1 of the BGS course.

Having done some real soul searching (and finding a new bun in the oven christmas day), it looks like I may have to put on hold my heli career, for now anyway.

My biggest problem is the hour building, heli's being that much more expensive in the UK, with my ever increasing family I cant just up sticks and goto the states.

Plan B. Continue my ATPL, but change to ATPL(A) (if BGS allow me to)

Hour build FW then CPL, thats my ATPL locked in.

Then convert the ATPL(A) theory to ATPL(H) theory - hoping 1 or 2 exams.

I want to get the bulk of the theory out of the way now, as I dont think I will have the time (family etc) in a couple of years time.

I am already a few hours away from a PPL(A) as this is what started me of flying, but never got to finish before start the PPL(H) and finishing that.

Thoughts comments views - all welcome.

Thanks.

BHenderson
15th Feb 2008, 00:37
Bristol.gs are very flexible. You need to do the POF (A) and performance exams extra. They will readily sign you off for them providing you've done the work.

I'm not sure on you decision though. Surely gaining an fATPL(A) could be just as time/cost consuming as a CPL(H). Just something to think about - do your sums first.

Whirlygig
15th Feb 2008, 00:43
As a rough guide, it is not unreasonable to estimate the hourly rate of an SEP helicopter at 2.5 times that of a similar fixed wing. Plus if you add on IR(H) which has to be completed in a twin engined helicopter at £1,000 an hour, then no, ATPL(A) is cheaper. Conversion then back to (H) is probably a better option.

Cheers

Whirls

4KBeta
15th Feb 2008, 08:18
Can someone just briefly highlight the differences between the ATPL Theorys for me please...ive confused myself. E.g the (A) and (H)

Thanks

BHenderson
15th Feb 2008, 20:17
Whirly; I would agree that an SEP is about 2.5 times more expensive, but realistically you need the MEP hours to get noticed in the job market. I believe BFC's twin was about the same price as an R22 - so it could change the figures quite dramatically. That's why I would really recommend to draw up a budget first.

4KBeta; At the moment following the 'interim' procedure set out by the JAA, there are 12 exams for ATPL level that are common to both (A) and (H). In addition to this for aeroplane you must also sit POF(A) and performance. For helicopter only POF(H). That makes 14 aeroplane and 13 helicopter. Clear as mud!

Hour Builder
17th Feb 2008, 07:58
Think everyone is missing a very big point here.

To start the ATPL (A) or (H) theory course with Bristol you need an ICAO PPL (A) or (H) respectively. As you currently don't have a PPL (A), you may need to finish the ATPL (H) theory, and once you obtain the PPL (A) at a later date, you simply do the PofF and Performance fixed wing paper.

I really don't think Bristol are allowed to give tuition and get a student through the ATPL (A) theory course without them holding a ICAO PPL (A) at the start-in fact I know their not. It is a pre-requisite and all! Sure they don't want their approval pulled...

Give them a call though, they are very helpfull

HB