PDA

View Full Version : Take-off sensation

Nicholas49
14th Feb 2008, 21:53
I have a simple and probably blindingly obvious question, so please bear with me.

Why do you get pushed right into the back of your seat when a passenger plane takes off even though it is not accelerating any faster (I presume) than a car?

D120A
14th Feb 2008, 22:12
I think you'll find it is accelerating much faster than an ordinary car. It doesn't appear to be so because the window you are looking out of is so high up. But if your eyes were three feet above the runway, I think you would experience that Porsche acceleration moment, just as a Porsche driver alongside the aircraft keeping pace with you would experience that distinct force on his body as the back of his seat accelerated him.

What a bargain! Porsche performance at EasyJet prices... :ok:

TenAndie
14th Feb 2008, 22:34
this has got to be a joke thread ???

TenAndie
14th Feb 2008, 22:36
its beacause as the aircraft gains speed, the seats start to move backwards....

:ooh:

AircraftOperations
14th Feb 2008, 22:40
Surely the seats move forwards.

perkin
14th Feb 2008, 23:05
I'd be a bit bloody worried if any aircraft I was on didnt accelerate at a high enough rate to shove me into the seat back! Its even noticeable on the tram I get to work every morning, and I've definitely experienced it on each and every one of the couple of hundred flights I've been on in the last few years...you surely can't be serious?