PDA

View Full Version : A Small Question ...

GeorgEGNT
14th Feb 2008, 17:25
I'm really sorry about this, I know how much the use of the search facility is encouraged at PPrune but after a long search I couldn't really find the answer to my question.

What I want to know is what is the difference between a frozen and unfrozen ATPL? I'm guessing it has something to do with flying hours? Although I'm not sure.

I'm also pleaing to hear from anyone who took the "Air transport with Commercial Pilot Training" Course at Bucks New University College. I've just recieved an offer from them and would like to know more about the course.

Thanks alot,
GeorgEGNT

IRRenewal
14th Feb 2008, 17:29
Frozen: ATPL theory but not the hours

Unfrozen: both the hours and the theory

Philpaz
14th Feb 2008, 17:38
unfrozen is 1500 hours with 500 on multi i believe.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

BerksFlyer
14th Feb 2008, 17:50
On the university thing, if you want to do a degree, do a degree. The only reason for a pilot to get a degree would be for back up and maybe suitability for management roles. The degree you mention doesn't help on the back up side of things because the only place it will help you is in aviation, and no one that has completed this course has been promoted to management positions so you can't tell if it will help for that either. So it is probably better to decide if you want a degree or just want to get your licences. If you do both, the best thing to do would be to get a good, proper degree that will help in any field. Things like engineering, the sciences, maths, medicine, law. Sure the last two are field specific, but they are much more respected than the non pilot training part of the Bucks course.

Just my opinion.

Nearly There
14th Feb 2008, 18:58
frozen ATPL is what you have once you complete all your flight training
ATPL Theory,CPL/ME/IR and when MCC has been done.

To unfreeze it, you do need 1500 hours but this cant be done on a single, Im not sure of how many hours of each but the 1500 hours must include a certain amount of multi crew flight time, IFR flight, night flying and P1 time..

Sure someone on here knows the hours requirement?
Hope that helps:ok:

IRRenewal
14th Feb 2008, 19:57
Every serious wannabe surely has a copy of LASORS. Show some initiative and look up the exact requirements to hold a full ATPL.

(hint: free to download from CAA website)

nick14
15th Feb 2008, 02:00
ATPL requires 1500 hours total time, 500 hours multi

250 hours P1 (100 hours must be P1, the 150 hours can be as P1 or P1/us)

of which 100hours night as P1/P2,

and a few other requirements which i have forgotten from the lessons but thats the most of it.

nick