PDA

View Full Version : Flight Safety Question

Wwyvern
14th Feb 2008, 15:43
It's a while since I was an RAF Group FSO. Can anyone remind me of the difference between "an error of judgement" and "an error of skill"?

Wwyvern

Elmlea
14th Feb 2008, 16:07
Surely an error of judgement is "I think I can fit my wings between those 2 trees" when in fact you can't, while an error of skill is "I think I can fit my wings between those 2 trees" before you accidentally fly into the ground lining up?

Or to be slightly clearer, an error of judgement's when your perception of the situation's wrong, while an error of skill involves correct perception and poor handling?

Tiger_mate
14th Feb 2008, 16:31
Judgement = Decision

Skill = Physical error in handling. Something that you were more than capable of, but you f689d up. Fed by boredom / nonchallence / routine; all of which are everyday facets of military aviation.

.....and that is before you get into the finer points of the many levels of negligence. [Grosse - Criminal - Culpable - Non culpable]

Safety_Helmut
14th Feb 2008, 16:55
Have a look at the work by Rasmussen on different types of behaviour. He cites skills based, rules based and knowledge based behaviour. This should be of interest to anyone in the operation of complex systems.

Wiki has a very basic explanation of his work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_interface_design#The_Skills.2C_Rules.2C_Knowledge _.28SRK.29_framework

Anorak off now :8

S_H

dakkg651
14th Feb 2008, 17:52
An error of judgment is wanting to get married.

An error of skill is having to get married!

handysnaks
14th Feb 2008, 19:33
Me me

An error of skill is Stuart Pearce missing that penalty in 1990
An error of judgement is Stuart Pearce electing to take the penalty in the first place!!

D120A
14th Feb 2008, 22:01
I seem to recall (and it's a long time ago for me too on RAF boards of inquiry) that an 'error of judgement' constituted negligence, and an 'error of skill' did not. Am I right, and is this still the case?