PDA

View Full Version : multi-pilot and single-pilot time recording?

roger1x2003
14th Feb 2008, 11:32
I need the pilots flying the following helicopter types: SA-365, B-212, S-76, A-109s to tell me how you record the flight time in your logbook.
When and in what circumstances do you record it as: MULTI-PILOT TIME and SINGLE-PILOT TIME?
I would like to know how it is treated in different (FAA,CAA,JAA…) countries worldwide.
Thank you

Helipilot1982
14th Feb 2008, 11:54
Are you refering to logging P1 time or P2 time in these a/c?

TunaSandwich
14th Feb 2008, 15:16
I came across this issue when I first came to Europe, my new employers wanted me to gain the Multicrew hour requirements for the ATPLH by flying as Co-Pilot in a VFR Bell 412 operation. Of course the B412 POH describes minimum crew as one pilot for both VFR and IFR so I decided to call the CAA in the UK to clarify. They told me that the hours could be accepted towards the multicrew requirement for ATPL if the operation requires two pilots, for example if there is a contractual requirement with the client, EMS for example. That was not the case in this operation so I didn't log the hours and just flew long enough as "helper" until they gave me a P1 job in the 412.

Hope this helps

Brilliant Stuff
15th Feb 2008, 12:57
In my days flying offshore we did the following.

P1 if you are the captain and have singed for the aircraft.
Co-pilot if you are handling navigation and radios and have not signed for the aircraft

P1/us if you fly the aircraft i.e. handling pilot. This usually got a signature from the captain of the aircraft after the flight.

Clear as mud?

SmokinHole
15th Feb 2008, 14:01
When you say 'handling pilot', you mean Pilot Flying? PIC/US is not supposed to be used for that. That time should still be logged as co-pilot (p2). PIC/US simply means you are acting as Pilot In Command - captain duties, properly supervised of course. You don't even have to touch the controls to still be PIC in a multi pilot A/C. Bu hey, if it got you the time in your logbook and it was signed by a Captain then job done!

Brilliant Stuff
16th Feb 2008, 09:43
handling pilot = pilot flying

I can only go by what our training captains told us. They being God I took their word as Gospel.