PDA

View Full Version : Naughty Puma boys

Razor61
13th Feb 2008, 16:07
Thread over on the Rotary forum at the moment of an extraordinary near disaster of a Puma possibly in Belize.
Literally inches from perhaps killing many people onboard and on the ground. Also inches from the blokes head...
Thread here:- http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=313240

Direct video link:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_ils1Qmd5k

8-15fromOdium
13th Feb 2008, 16:21
In the hope of averting a witch hunt at Aldergrove/Benson are we sure its RAF?

It looks to me like a French cab, the nose and lack of RWR under the boom suggests it is, as do the rediculously tight shorts that the groundcrew are wearing. Looks like the sort of stuff the French were wearing at PDC whilst we were in our combat pyjamas.

merlinxx
13th Feb 2008, 16:33
Does not a Puma hunt low and fast as most cats do? Legion me thinks.

Al R
13th Feb 2008, 16:38
I've seen that clip before - it was attributed to the French when I saw it.. a good few months back.

Green Flash
13th Feb 2008, 16:44
Still ferkin low, though! :eek:

OverTq
13th Feb 2008, 17:10
Deffo French - RAF Puma pilots wouldn't do that sort of thing (unless the name was L** B***n, in which case it would have been far lower!).

Brian Dixon
13th Feb 2008, 17:15
Here's a longer video. Says they are definitely French:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=858_1202863592

Brian

Razor61
13th Feb 2008, 17:24
It doesn't surprise me it is French now to be honest. You only have to look at the previous footage we have seen of their Puma flying, Mirage flying and C-135F flying in Chad at unbelievable low levels.
Why keep doing it for the camera? One day they will clip a hedge or tree.

StopStart
13th Feb 2008, 17:41
French. Identifiable by the strangely non-military short shorts they insist on wearing....

Tourist
13th Feb 2008, 18:20
A question for those who disaprove of their flying.

What is the French accident rate per hour at low level compared to the UK?
Does anybody know?
Is there record of any accidents due to extreme low flying?

If theirs is lower, perhaps it is because they let their pilots play harder thus giving them greater skill levels. Perhaps they gain from their familiarity with v.low flight at high speed.

We tend to mock the US military rotary level of GH training because we explore the envelope more than they do. Perhaps the French correctly mock us?

Tiger_mate
13th Feb 2008, 19:51
Aside from lack of defensive aids, there is no FM aerial in the normal place and whilst a Cougar aerial would be difficult to see, the RAF Puma does not have the spade aerial towards the lower rear tailboom. The marking (white) front left lower is the same as used by ALAT. In short, it is definately French.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2375/2262896043_722175e489.jpg
The Puma boys do not need rumours such as this at the moment.
http://www.militarypictures.info/d/75-3/Aerospatiale_puma.jpg
An RAF one to compare

It also has weather radar on the front if you look for it, which the RAF do not have.
http://soldierisnothistory.free.fr/contents/images/puma_helitreuillage.jpg

davejb
13th Feb 2008, 20:08
Look at the helo height and apparent speed, and figure out (A) what fraction of a second it will take to fly into the ground if something you don't expect occurs - eg a birdstrike. How does this time compare to (B) 'reaction time', ie how long before the pilot can react to the sudden problem and transition into a safe flight path without hitting the ground enroute.

If (A) is greater than (B) then the pilot is a knob, unless doing it for valid operational reasons that take priority over flight safety (and common sense, and the degree of regard a pilot ought to have for the other lives on board while he's getting his rocks off pretending to be Tom bloody Cruise).

If (B) is greater than (A) then what excellent piloting, unfortunately timid creature that I am I think I'll go Sleazy Jet.

Oh, and any egomaniacal tw4t flying a helo at that height towards me on the A96 gets a wheel wrench thrown into his rotor disc as he zips by...I'm surprised the Chad truckers don't carry Strelas....

Other opinions may apply, of course, although I think you'll find mine is the correct one when all is considered, as my wife assures me that 'oh yes, you're always right of course'.

(Oddly, her tone sometimes suggests she holds a different opinion)

Tigs2
13th Feb 2008, 20:45
Razor61

The title of this thread is a little upsetting to me. 'Naughty Puma Boys', and then you go on to say

possibly in Belize

So how the F**k ( i was going to say ****!) did you come up with 'possibly in Belize'??:mad::mad: (i.e RAF Pumas)

Is that because of the fact there is grass and trees. You are a complete and utter w****r, just like the pilot in the shot. What is the cam scheme of the soldiers?, what is the cam scheme of the vehicles they are using? Is it Brit soldiers in Belize circa 1992 when the pumas left? NO! I am ex pumas and your post and the diatribe on the rotary thread is crap. It is like getting a shot of some F16 low flying in nevada and saying 'Naughty F16 pilots' and posting it on a Belgique web site and saying 'looks like the beech off koksji!'

Do the decent thing and wipe the thread. Feel free to restart it as 'Unkown airforce low flying Puma - any clues' Nice vid, crap research.

Razor61
13th Feb 2008, 20:54
No, i was actually stating what was said on the Rotary forum of this site which is where i got the video from and the link to the thread (if you read it) in question.
Possibly in Belize states that it was possibly in Belize, not was in Belize and not 'was' RAF.
It is still a :mad: Puma or Cougar or whatever you want to call the same aircraft and so the thread title is apt.
A discussion on here has come up trumps more than what was on the Rotary forum as to what force it was from

Thanks for the insults... typical coming from you. W**ker

Tigs2
13th Feb 2008, 21:02
Razor

You put this on the Mil forum. What is your involvement with aviation please? You are already saying ' a Puma or Cougar whatever you want to call the same aircraft', (incidentally they are not the same aircraft!). Please elaborate and I will gladly withdraw my comments.

I take it from the first page on rotor heads you take the belize comment from a 2 times poster 'Barry Scott' who claims to be a toilet cleaner!!?

Oh and sorry, I am calling you a w****r for a reason, and yours is?

Razor61
13th Feb 2008, 21:08
I have already stated numerous times on this forum i am not in the Military or Aviation related like many others on this forum.
So you can crack on with your comments and insults.

If you wish the title to be changed, i'll change it (if i can) to a more appropiate title of your choice.

Tigs2
13th Feb 2008, 21:15
Razor
please read my edits above and answer. In future as you are not an aviator and clearly do not have a knowledge of Puma or indeed Cougar ops, or Brit or French cam, DO NOT insinuate that me or my colleuges or the current guys and girls flying this aircraft types in the RAF are 'Naughty' when you clearly have no idea. Pumas of the RAF last few in Belize in 1992 (thats 16 years ago), digital camera shots????No:mad::mad: Bye the way pass it on to the other tossers on the rotary thread.

Just as a matter of course, I was taught to fly at appropriate speed down to 5 mtrs (appropriate being the key term)

Al R
13th Feb 2008, 21:19
Fight fight..

Tigs2
13th Feb 2008, 21:22
Bloody Right Right!

PPRuNe Pop
13th Feb 2008, 21:24
Closed closed!!!