PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever used a Caxton Card?

BroomstickPilot
13th Feb 2008, 07:19
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to do some serious flight training, which may or may not be in the UK. (I might decide to do some of it in the EU or the States, I have not decided yet). Wherever I do it, it means big expenditure.

I intend to pay as I go, and I am tempted to use a Caxton Currency card, rather than an ordinary credit card, to pay for my flying expenditure. The essential difference with the Caxton is that you can credit your card at the outset with the amount you expect to spend. You then use that up first before going into debit.

So far as I can make out, it seems to be backed by the Newcastle Building Society, so it should be kosher.

Has anybody used one of these cards? If so, what has been your experience, good or bad? (I reckon there must be some Geordie pilots out there who must know something about these things).

Broomstick.

Nichibei Aviation
13th Feb 2008, 07:26
Visa and Mastercard have these services.

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/choosing/payinadvance.jsp

BroomstickPilot
15th Feb 2008, 08:35
Hi Nichibei,

Thanks for your response.

Do you happen to know if there is a generic name for this type of card which I can put into my browser and be taken to similar cards from other suppliers?

Broomstick.

Whirlygig
15th Feb 2008, 08:45
Pretty much any credit card will allow you to put the card into debit; some may even pay interest while it is!

If you already have a credit card, ring them up and ask!

Cheers

Whirls

Xorthis
15th Feb 2008, 23:04
Both my credit card people send me a cheque if my balance goes into the green and zero the card, which is a pain in the ass because it ties up the funds while they are clearing :(

Best to check with your card issuer before dumping £10k onto it.

V1mcg
16th Feb 2008, 08:46
have found caxton excellent...

Use them alot.

No problems..

Remember, you also get a better rate, no commission and no transaction charges..

BroomstickPilot
16th Feb 2008, 11:55
Thanks Guys,

Broomstick.