PDA

View Full Version : C-130 Flypasts at Eggesford

QDMQDMQDM
12th Feb 2008, 22:26
From time to time one or two C-130s make an approach at Eggesford with wheels and flaps down and then go around. Two did it last Friday. We love it, but we're wondering who it is. We have heard there is an Auster pilot at Lyneham...? Is that true and is it him? You can PM me if you like.

In the meantime, keep it up!

TOPBUNKER
12th Feb 2008, 23:34
Daft question edited out - late night surfing and thinking aloud - oops!:\

TheInquisitor
13th Feb 2008, 02:50
Trawling for dirt or something, TB?

Bit of a dumb question to ask.

StopStart
13th Feb 2008, 07:53
TB - yeah, from what I heard the hercs were at 40ft. Inverted. And the crew were naked. On goggs. With the lens caps on.
Still, it's a good question and definitely worth asking.
Cock.

QDM etc - it's a regular thing to practice approaches whilst out training. The approach is flown configured at 250ft, 125kts :) If the airfield is capable of accepting a C130, has ATC (and various other criteria) then the approach to go around is flown to a lower height. The idea of using grass strips/disused airfields is to practice visually acquiring and positioning for Tactical landing strips (TLZs) - grass, dirt etc.

:)

QDMQDMQDM
13th Feb 2008, 18:06
Thanks, StopStart, we love it. Keep it up! I think you could get into us, but I'm not sure you'd get out, especially with the strip as it is at the moment. Otherwise we would offer you a cup of tea. ;-)

We have 20+ based aircraft and so Eggesford can have traffic during weekdays. If you want to give a call on 123.5, then feel free, but we are more than happy if you don't want to either. We'll keep an eye out for you.

Cheers!

QDM

Razor61
13th Feb 2008, 18:38
QDM,
Another Herc just came over low level heading towards you, not sure if it will do an approach however :).
They do this a lot at Dunkeswell nearby too.

Thoroughly enjoy going up the hill local to my town and watching them low level in the valleys.

maryrose
14th Feb 2008, 11:12
This is a completely different subject - but I have just joined the site, following a Google of "Jack Parham".

This search took me to a thread you started ages ago (now archived) where you were looking for a copy of Jack Parham's book "Flying for Fun".

I may have a spare copy of this if you're still looking - can't promise as I'll have to have a search in some boxes (still not unpacked following a house move).

Just let me know if you need it and if you do I hunt around.