PDA

View Full Version : hijacked mas flight mh653 4th dec 1977

paulh6582
12th Feb 2008, 17:37
i am trying to find out some information about the memorial that was erected after this crash , as my grandfather was one of those killed on this flight ( Thomas Parr ) i have read a post from hassan bok (posted last year )and there is quite a few people that have replied who were friends with some of the crew on that flight .
with the 30th anniversary just gone , some of my family have only just found out about the memorial ( via the internet ), i would really appreciate it if anyone could help in giving us a location of the memorial and possibly some indication as to where in malaysia it is , so we can visit it and finally lay this to rest .
if anyone has any information at all that would help us in doing so , please email me : [email protected]

thankyou

paul hewson

Sireh
13th Feb 2008, 00:13
Belated condolences and best wishes to you and your family.

There is a memorial called the Tanjung Kupang Memorial located at Jalan Kebun Teh in Johor Baru city in the state of Johor on the southern edge of Peninsula Malaysia.

You can travel to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, then take a domestic flight to Johor Baru. Taxis are easily available from Sultan Ismail airport in Senai ( where Johor Baru airport is ) to the memorial. Altenatively, you can come via Singapore using bus services from Changi airport to Johor Baru city, then via taxi to the memorial.

For more info, you can google " Tanjung Kupang Memorial ". However the stories weaved in the wikipaedia entries should be taken with a big spoonful of salt.

Good luck and best wishes again.

Sireh

bakutteh
13th Feb 2008, 02:58
The monument stands within a quiet alcove on a grassy knoll located between an established school, SJKC Foon Yew ( Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina Foon Yew - ie Foon Yew National Type Chinese School ) and a housing estate known as Taman Majidee. There are many tall pine trees at this location. The road, Jalan Kebun Teh is a busy road due to the location of the popular school.

Hope this info helps. Best wishes and Godspeed on your quest to honour your gramps.

paulh6582
13th Feb 2008, 17:57
hi , sireh - bakutteh

i really cant thankyou both enough for the information and for your kind words !

I wish you both all the best

thanks again

kind regards

paul