PDA

View Full Version : Jags At Syerston?

reallydeskbound
12th Feb 2008, 16:38
Driving past Syerston at the weekend I noticed a couple of Jags parked on the northern side of the airfield? Did they fly in? are they there for a reason or is it just another place to park serviceable aircraft so that they will eventually become so decrepit they can be disposed of without any museum or enthusiasts being able to get pleasure from ownership?:bored:

Hot Charlie
12th Feb 2008, 16:47
Syerston is used by Cranwell for a couple of "deployed" scenarios/exercise during Initial Officer Training. As far as I'm aware the Jags are essentially there as set dressing.

As for how they got there - pass - but I expect by road.

Sospan
12th Feb 2008, 17:25
You expected correct !

Professor Plum
12th Feb 2008, 17:37
As hot Charlie says, they are used as part of Initial Officer Training.

Cadets on Initial Officer Training undertake a "deplyment" to Syerston which forms their final leadership assessment, and the Jags represent a high value asset which has to be defended. They're not in a flyable condition-they have no engines etc.

Haven't a clue how long they've been there though!

XV208 SNOOPY
12th Feb 2008, 17:43
And according to the Ex scenario, they are HARRIERS not Jags !:ugh::ugh::rolleyes:

Hangar_9
13th Feb 2008, 08:50
When at Syerston on a Cadet Gliding Scholarship i can tell you that both types were seen at the airfield :E

Jags x2 (airframe only) - They are there as part of IOT exercise decisive edge 1/2 (not sure which one)

Harrier x1 ("Jedi 15A") - The only flying asset of the week acting as a Rouge red force buzzing the field at certain undisclosed times of the day. Just makes it that tad more real :p, well....... i certainly liked it :})
(They came in the afternoon via holbeach ranges)

Hope this helps