PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Flypast, QE2, Port Stanley, 1 Feb

Farns744
12th Feb 2008, 11:20
Have just returned from QE2 cruise which included planned stop at Port Stanley. Unfortunately, strong winds prevented us from getting ashore but several flypasts by 2 F3s and a Sea King helped to save the day. Does anyone know if photographs taken from the chopper are available?
Was particularly impressed by the winchman's walk on the QE2 fo'c's'le!

TBirdFrank
12th Feb 2008, 11:34
Hope you enjoyed the run to Valparaiso

We left at FLL

Coming down the Minch last September we had a Tornado come by at zero feet and a winchman holding onto the taff rail - didn't have to go all the way to Port Stanley for it!

And of course we had the Red Arrows at Greenock

Navaleye
12th Feb 2008, 12:41
Farns744

Sorry you missed Port Stanley, sadly its not unusual for the wind to make that call a no-show. She won't ever go there again of course, so well done to 1435 flight for helping out. It would be great to see some pics. If you were on-board on 8th Jan, you'll probably remember this.

Here (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y184/Navaleye/qe2jan08tandemVoyage1.jpg)

Farns744
12th Feb 2008, 17:00
Frank
In spite of not getting off in Punta Arenas either (60 kts) we had great time to Valparaiso. Rounding the Horn was spectacular.

Navaleye I assume you or someone you know were onboard the Queen Victoria (http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/kdf744/DSCN6824.jpg) also taken on 8th Jan.

One of F3s was 1435 Flt "D" as here. (http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/kdf744/RSCN7086.jpg)

Meanwhile Sea King guys were trying to get photos of QE2 with pilot boat in foreground here. (http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh240/kdf744/RSCN7208.jpg)

dropintheoggin
12th Feb 2008, 17:29
Not 23 Sqn but 1435 Flt I imagine...

Farns744
12th Feb 2008, 17:44
dropintheoggin
Thanx for pointing out the misident.

francophile69
12th Feb 2008, 21:56
Glad to hear the Black Pig made it to Stanley, shame it was 26 years late.

"Canberra cruises where QE2 refuses" was the banner if memory serves...:ok:

anotherthing
13th Feb 2008, 08:16
Coming down the Minch last September we had a Tornado come by at zero feet and a winchman holding onto the taff rail...

I know the Tornado is designated a Mullti Role Combat Aircraft, but how long has it been engaged on SAR duties? :}

sarsteph
13th Feb 2008, 19:09
I was sad to miss the QE2 coming in to Stanley - came down from MPC with one of the docs, who'd hoped to see a relative who was sailing on her. Great to hear the flybys came off though.

Last time I saw her she was moored off Anstruther in the Firth of Forth during the Open in St Andrews. Year was 2001 if I remember right. She was used as a floating hotel for spectators. It will be sad to see her go.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
14th Feb 2008, 11:12
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/Golf_Bravo_Zulu/STANLEY.jpg

The QE2 parked where the distant freighter is would have looked rather grand (and would have made a few bob for Her Majesty).

Farns744
15th Feb 2008, 17:10
G-B-Z
Not sure where we were due to drop anchor but it the 2 1/2 nm tender ride to the pier was deemed unwise in the forecast 60 kts. I believe it was the "middle anchorage" wherever that was.

p.s. have updated links so photos might now show in earlier posting.

Farns744
15th Feb 2008, 17:13
sarsteph, don't suppose you know if any pikkies were taken from the Sea King?

sarsteph
15th Feb 2008, 21:58
Farns744

Rumour has it that one of the photogs got a ride in the back of one of the F3s. Don't know if another went up in a SK or not. If I can find any pics taken on the day I'll see if I can post them here.

MDJETFAN
15th Feb 2008, 23:37
Several years ago, I visited Port Stanley on a HollandAmerica cruise ship. We also anchored in roughly the same location as the freighter shown in GBZ's photo. It was very windy and the Captain announced that was a close as he was prepared to risk the ship. It was quite a wet ride into the pier but well worth it. We landed at the small pier to the left of the one with a small ship alongside.
I asked the tour guide, a Falklands Veteran, to stop the coach, which still had "Brighton & Hove" titles on the sides, at the Falklands War Memorial. My nephew, who was 17 at the time, was a cadet on the HMS Sheffield when it sank and I wanted photos to send to him. Also managed a pint in the Globe Tavern.

hoodie
16th Feb 2008, 00:20
I think it relates acceptably well. Which is more than your very first post on PPRuNe does, Horse.....Fly. :zzz: Take yourself elsewhere please.

Navaleye
16th Feb 2008, 01:11
Ok its not aviation , but Woteva. The area where that little freighter is in is called Port William. That's were Admiral Sturdee's squadron was coaling in 1914, when Admiral Graf Maximilian von Spee turned up.

Fox_4
16th Feb 2008, 15:07
There was indeed a photog riding in the back of an F3 and he got some great photos.

Will try and post the better ones on here if I can. Might take time though with the speed of connection we have.

Shame you couldnt get ashore and see the bright lights of Stanley.

Navaleye
16th Feb 2008, 16:57
Fox_4, it would be great to see them. Many thanks.

Navaleye

snakepit
24th Feb 2008, 17:17
Farns744

Hi there, thanks for the post. Just got back and it was a privilege to have been winched onto the QE II. Yes we had a photog on board the chopper; the photos are of course crown property as usual.

Happy dangling

You aint seen me right.

Farns744
25th Feb 2008, 09:20
snakepit,
I rather thought that any photos would be property of HM. Still never mind. Perhaps, in 50 years they might be released:).

Very envious of your achievement of walking on both the Falklands and QE2 on that day.

Rgds