PDA

View Full Version : ME IR Renewal

CPAM00
12th Feb 2008, 11:05
I need to renew my ME IR. I heard somewhere that you can renew this in an FNPT II. Is that correct? If so, where can I do this and how much will it roughly cost? They both expired about a year ago.

Cheers! :ok:

Linda Mollison
12th Feb 2008, 12:06
Once your IR has gone past its expiry date, you can no longer renew it in an FNPT2 - it has to be done in an aircraft.

If both the MEP and the IR expired over a year ago, you will need some training - how much will depend upon how rusty you have got!

I would do some training in an FNPT2, followed by a session in the aircraft and then the test. You are probably talking about over £1,000.

Linda Mollison

CPAM00
12th Feb 2008, 12:11
Thank you Linda for your response. Could you recommend to me where I can do that?

:ok:

Linda Mollison
12th Feb 2008, 12:26
As I actually work for a school who does them - no, that would be advertising!

Linda Mollison

HappyFran
12th Feb 2008, 12:38
Linda Mollison is at PATS in Bournemouth :O
Do a search for recomendations... I think there are quite a few

I do not work for any FTO's and as only at PPL stage can offer no solid recommendations, though I hear there are a few schools at Bournemouth that can offer what you need :)

G SXTY
12th Feb 2008, 12:43
As a satisfied customer I would happily recommend Linda's school, but as there's a fine line between that and blatant advertising, I'm not going to name them - you'll have to do some research. ;)

The truth is there are many decent commercial schools who could help you with the renewel. Somewhere close to home would make sense - whereabouts in the UK are you?

[Edit to say that HappyFran beat me to it - I tried mods, I tried. :p

CPAM00
12th Feb 2008, 12:46
I am in Buckinghamshire. :)

G SXTY
12th Feb 2008, 12:52
I don't know anyone in that immediate area, and I'm sure others will have their own recommendations, but off the top of my head:

Aeros at Gloucester
AFT, Coventry
Stapleford Flight Centre

are all well regarded, as of course is Linda's secret school in Bournemouth. :ok:

CPAM00
12th Feb 2008, 12:55
Thanks.. :)

Though it is no longer a secret school, is it.... ;) :E

ramshorn
12th Feb 2008, 21:02
Try doing a search on flight schools at Wycombe/Booker which is in Bucks.

dartagnan
12th Feb 2008, 21:26
renewed mine last year in a FNTP2, and it was expired of 2 years..
is this law new?? (to make it in the real aircraft)

Linda Mollison
13th Feb 2008, 07:33
Yes, it is a new law in the UK (included in the ANO on March 15 2007) although it has been part of JAR FCL for longer than that.

As a matter of interest, the Chief Examiner has stated that anyone who did their renewal/revalidation in the FNPT2 in 2007 (before or after March 15) must do it in an aircraft this year whether it is a revalidation or a renewal.

Linda Mollison

Philflies
13th Feb 2008, 11:34
My MEP and IR expire later this year, so I'm starting to think about renewals.

Is the MEP renewal subject to the same rules as the SEP renewal ? (i.e before expiry: renewal with instructor. or After expiry renewal with Examiner)

And who can carry out a IR renewal? Instructor or Examiner?

One last question: like the combined MEP/CPL test can a renwal be IR and MEP at the same time?

I'm just trying to work out who to hassle for what renewal!

Regards

Phil

Linda Mollison
13th Feb 2008, 12:02
No, the MEP is not the same as the SEP.

You can only renew it with a Class Rating Examiner (CRE).

Similarly the IR, you can only renew/revalidate it with an Instrument Rating Examiner (IRE).

An IRE is also likely to be a CRE (although this is not true the other way around).

If you are doing the IR in an aircraft, not an FNPT2, yes, the test is a combined MEP and IRR test. If you are doing the IRR in an FNPT2, you also have to do a separate MEP renewal test in the aircraft.

If you did the IR last year in an aircraft and you revalidate the IR before its expiry date you can do it in an FNPT2.

If you are not planning to fly an MEP aircraft, I would not bother with the MEP renewal test - the airlines are not interested in whether it is current or not.

Linda Mollison