PDA

View Full Version : Charging devices in North America

814man
12th Feb 2008, 07:16
A quick question here that I know I should probably know the answer to. I'm off to Canada tomorrow for ski holiday, what do I do about items such as mobile phone, video camera and kids gameboy which need to be charged every few days. Can I take chargers and just get plug adaptor at airport or do I need something else.
I know someone here will be able to help, many thanks.

groundhand
12th Feb 2008, 07:42
Normal chargers with an country adaptor has always worked for me. Never had a problem with phone, computer, Blackberry or anything else.

GH

Heidhurtin
12th Feb 2008, 07:46
I do a lot of travelling back & forth as an electrical engineer so: The US and Canada work on 110 Volts 60 Hz, as opposed to the UK/Euro norm of 230 Volt 50 Hz. It depends on the charger unit itself - if you look at the detail plate on the back it should say somewhere, something like "Input Voltage", or maybe just "Input". If the figure next to that is "100 - 240V 50/60Hz" or something similar then a simple plug adaptor, usually available from an airport shop, is all you need. If it says "230/240V 50Hz", then I'm afraid you'll need to buy a US spec charger. (Transformers are available but these usually work out more expensive and only convert the voltage).

Most modern devices work on the full range of voltages and frequencies, makes manufacturing cheaper! :)

hellsbrink
12th Feb 2008, 07:46
You can buy the travel adaptors before you go, most electrical stores, bigger supermarkets, etc, sell them. Take at least two of them if you have a few things needing charged and your own chargers.

Be careful though, make sure that your uk chargers say "100-240v 50-60hz". Over there they use a 120v/60hz supply and that can cause havoc with equipment that is designed only for 230v/50hz supplies. If in doubt you can get one of these, http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=24488&doy=12m2 (ignore the "thing" you see straight away, there is a smaller version http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/up90x.jpg ) which will do the job. But every modern day charger should be able to plug straight in with no problems. Charging times may be extended, however, depending on how good the power pack is, many will obviously run at "half the power" as you only have half the voltage.

RevMan2
12th Feb 2008, 08:52
I always pack a small (3-4 plug) power strip and use an single adapter. Charges everything you have overnight with no juggling

Heidhurtin
12th Feb 2008, 08:53
.....make sure that your uk chargers say "100-240v 50-60hz". Over there they use a 120v/60hz supply and that can cause havoc with equipment that is designed only for 230v/50hz supplies. If in doubt you can get one of these, http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=24488&doy=12m2 (ignore the "thing" you see straight away, there is a smaller version http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/up90x.jpg ) which will do the job. But every modern day charger should be able to plug straight in with no problems. Charging times may be extended, however, depending on how good the power pack is, many will obviously run at "half the power" as you only have half the voltage.

Just to be pedantic, the units shown in the link are voltage transformers only - they will not change the frequency. (If you put 60Hz in you'll get 60Hz out). I've done loads of travelling and living across the pond and I've only had a problem with the frequency change on larger items (fridge, microwave etc). Smaller chargers like you're concerned with are largely unaffected. :)

814man
12th Feb 2008, 14:15
Thanks to you all for the excellent advice as always. Off to hotel at Manchester airport now then 2 weeks skiing in Banff! :)

WHBM
12th Feb 2008, 14:30
Just to be pedantic (because we are all meant to be techie geeks here).

The "charger" units for laptops, phones, etc, take mains AC power, generally nowadays at anything between 100-240 volts, either 50 or 60 Hz, and output a low voltage DC for the actual charging, typically 12 volts. They can handle anything.

Some powered units (eg my electric shaver) also run just the same whether on 120 or 240 volts, 50 or 60 Hz. It's just a matter of appropriate design of the motor. I remember a while ago that shavers had switches on them for different inputs, but not any more.

Other things like hairdryers can't handle it, and you would need a transformer. Depends on the device.

Onetime friend of mine came from Canada to UK with a record player (remember those), bought a transformer for it but it ran 20% slow due to the different frequency, which was not very useful for a record player :)