PDA

View Full Version : Kind of stuck... any suggestions?

WildDart
11th Feb 2008, 22:21
Hey, just need a bit of career advice and as careers teacher has no clue im going to annoy you guys instead :)

Right, 2nd year A LEVELS,
Predictions:
- ICT A2, Business Studies A2, Psychology AS, Accounting, English Lang/lit AS, (general studies AS)
(According to first year, i am aiming for A-C grades, mostly Bs and C's)
-51 hours flying towards PPL, hope to complete it soon:\

Okay, there reasonable grades but will obviously strive for as high as possible, and i have never been a fan of predicted grades

Option 1:
I am applying for part time degree. (Foundation degree in civil engineering) This way I can work almost full time, i might be able to get a job in designing which relates to my degree. I hope to have this degree as a back up and one day be able to afford an ATPL

Option 2, infactI have so many options and i really not sure what way to go or what would be suitable.:confused: All i know is i have one ultimate goal and that’s to make it to the commercial airline industry.

Any tips, suggestions, anything at all is all greatly appreciated :O

P.S read through all the stickies

deltaxray
11th Feb 2008, 22:24
Go for aviation while your young:ok:

AlphaMale
12th Feb 2008, 09:11
I believe there are many ways onto the flight deck, for me I decided to get a degree full time and working part time. This got me a job in IT straight away after graduation and I'll always have a BSc after my name.

But 4 years of lost income/studying for a subject that is going to be of verry little use to me on the flight deck? seems like a total waste of time and I'd have to agree with www's posts.

What I have secured though is a back up career should I fail my class 1 medical renewal one day, or if this recession kicks in and I'm left with no RHS.

I just turned 26 and currently studying my ppl exams and browsing over ATPL books (to see what I am letting myself in for). I'll be taking 4 weeks off work in June/July to carry out my PPL training and that will be followed by ATPL with BGS shortly after.

With your predicted grades in;

ICT A2
Business Studies A2
Psychology AS
Accounting
English Lang/lit AS

I'd possibly look into a few sponsorships too. Highland Airways (http://www.highlandairways.co.uk/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/191003?080212100614.62.3.199.50.2150+/highland/I7/EN/static/cadetschemes.html) do a cadet sponsorship.

If I had known these existed when I finished my A levels I'd have applied to every one. It's too late for me but it's not for you.

Good luck with your flying and studies.

Atreyu
12th Feb 2008, 09:36
I'd give HighandDryland Airways a miss if i were you. But have a shop around and see what suits your budget and requirements, Or have a regular well paid job as a civil engineer, get a PPL and various ratings and do it for fun? Not putting a wannabe off but it's probably a less infuriating venture just flying a fun! Stick with the degree by the way! I never went to Uni, and I am fortunate to be in a great flying job in and out of LCY but i've nothing to fall back onto academically so assess your options carefully!

Atreyu

dartagnan
12th Feb 2008, 10:21
if you go to aviation with no background outside of aviation, it can be very "dangerous"

What would happen if you lose your medical?

ssg
13th Feb 2008, 02:37
If your looking for an airline job..

Just get A degree, doesn't matter what it's in...while doing so, become a CFII, for a 141 school, then 135 charter, while doing that, get on with a commuter, and you will get on with a major.

When you interview, your skils and experience mean very little compared to you ability to articulate you willingness to get along, that an airline job is all you ever wanted to do, and that you will do anything they ask of you.