PDA

View Full Version : Roy Scheider (Pilot in Blue Thunder) dies at 75.

Capt Hollywood
11th Feb 2008, 12:56
Best known for Jaws but who could forget the old classic Blue Thunder!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7238211.stm

B Sousa
11th Feb 2008, 16:04
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001702/

g-mady
11th Feb 2008, 17:12
He also starred in a great series about a huge futureistic submarine, Seaquest or something...

MADY

Tickle
12th Feb 2008, 01:32
I was sad when I heard he had passed away. He is one my most favorite actors and he will be missed. He was perfect in the role of Frank Murphy.

He made lots of other great films such as The French Connection, The Seven Ups, 2010 and All That Jazz (okay, it was a bit odd but different). Check out The Seven Ups for an amazing fist fight and car chase with him.

I was writing a screenplay for him to return as a deskbound Captain Frank Murphy but I was too late. He had apparently been sick for a while, having cancer treatment a few years ago. My father said he was a real smoker, loved his tobacco.

R.I.P Roy.

Droopy
12th Feb 2008, 07:22
The Seven Ups wasn't by any chance about Snow White?

mustangpilot
12th Feb 2008, 08:11
We actually did a re-make of the Blue Thunder scene where Roy raises up from under the bridge using a Cobra in the Police Spoof major motion picture, Reno 911 Maimi. That was for you Frank Murphy! and it was an honor.

Tickle
12th Feb 2008, 20:53
The Seven Ups is about a police detective division in the '70s that are known for putting criminals into prison for seven years and beyond. I had never heard of it until I read a book about movie car chases and was delighted to know Scheider was in it.

JB007
12th Feb 2008, 20:57
This is very sad, first i'd heard of it. Big fan of Roy and own a copy of Blue Thunder...

CATCH YA LATER!

George Semel
14th Feb 2008, 01:02
52 Pick Up was one of my Favorite Roy Scheider movies. Wrecks or I should say blows up a very nice XKE Jag. Oh well, I will watch blue thunder this weekend.

500 Fan
17th Feb 2008, 15:53
Apparently Roy Scheider became quite adept at flying the Gazelle, mocked-up as Blue Thunder, as the movie progressed. Pick-ups, landings and straight-and-level were no problem for him. He is actually flying the heli in some of the on-board sequences. He always had a pilot with him obviously and while I don't think he ever held a licence, in my book, this makes him an honourary helicopter pilot. :ok:

R.I.P.

JB007
12th Apr 2008, 10:35
Channel Five tonight - 7pm - Blue Thunder:ok::D

Buitenzorg
12th Apr 2008, 23:34
About 10 years ago I read an autobiography by a Vietnam war veteran helicopter pilot. In the part about flight school he recounts an anecdote involving a candidate named Roy Scheider or Schneider.

At that time each Primary (OH-23 at Fort Wolters) candidate had to perform three solo full-down autos before moving on to the Advanced stage (Hueys at Fort Rucker). Candidate Scheider took off to complete this last requirement, not knowing his training platoon and company commanders happened to be observing at that lane. Like most candidates Scheider was talking himself through the maneuver: “500 feet…lower collective, right pedal…throttle off…RPM green…nose forward, 60 knots…RPM green…airspeed 60…line-up good…”

WHAM!!!

Pattering himself candidate Scheider had completely forgotten about the flare! Hiller parts flew in every direction as the main wreckage slid down the runway, coming to a stop not far from the two observing officers. They ran to the wreck, convinced the candidate was dead or critically injured, but then spotted something moving in the wreckage. Candidate Scheider stood up straight, shrugged off a few loose parts, and spotting the two open-mouthed senior officers raised two fingers of his right hand.

“Bring me two more helicopters!”

Candidate Scheider was eliminated from Flight School for bad attitude.